Listenin' to Classical Music and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bluemooze, Feb 22, 2017.

1. layman

layman Forum Resident

I am listening to two piano sonatas by Domenico Scarlatti on Sirius XM right now. I have long been afraid of Scarlatti's music. I found it too difficult but these two sonatas sound very accessible and profound. The pieces really speak to me and encourage me (to want) to listen to more Scarlatti.

2. Jamsterdammer

Jamsterdammer The Great CD in the Sky

Now playing: George Enescu - Première Sonate Op.24; Hommage à Fauré; Prélude Et Fugue - Cristian Petrescu - recorded 1994, 1995

CD2 of this set:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

ibanez_ax, canzld, peter1 and 3 others like this.
  3. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

On the tape deck: Bach Brandenburg Concertos.
    Karl Ristenpart / Chamber Orchestra of the Saar

Nonesuch 4-Track Stereo Tape / Manufactured by Ampex USA / I bought this tape in 1970.

[​IMG]

Originally recorded by Le Club Français Du Disque, Paris, ca. 1965.

[​IMG]

4. Jamsterdammer

I believe the pan-European game show "It's a Knockout" ("Jeux Sans Frontieres") was hosted by the European Broadcasting Union through its Eurovision network as well, so that the game show could be watched by all member countries at the same time.

Alexlotl likes this.
  5. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

I found the complete sonatas by Scott Ross on eBay recently for a very good price and I have maybe played 8 or so CDs. This is the only Scarlatti in my collection.
    A lot of these sonatas sound repetitive but some are very interesting and enjoyable.
    I wish there is a source somewhere with a list of what is considered the best of them because it is very tedious to go through all 555 of them.
    (maybe there is and I haven't looked hard enough, I don't know)

[​IMG]

tomymontana, Runicen, Wes H and 4 others like this.
  6. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

Very passionate playing and great sound on this LP--perhaps my favorite version. Interestingly, it was recorded digitally in 1992 but remastered with an analog Telefunken tape deck.

[​IMG]

tomymontana, Daedalus, canzld and 2 others like this.
  7. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

...followed by Mahler 3 with Carolyn Watkinson. Not having heard soprano Roberta Alexander and mezzo-sopranos Jard van Nes and Carolyn Watkinson in years their rather heavy vibrato shocked me a bit, I'm not used to that anymore :)

Daedalus, canzld and layman like this.
  8. TonyACT

TonyACT Boxed-in!

I very much like Carmignola in Vivaldi.

Bachtoven likes this.
  9. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

I have this LP twofer. The open-reel tape should sound very good.

I was lucky enough to find the following 6-CD box as it looks like it has been OOP for a long time ...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Wes H and bluemooze like this.
  10. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

I think he may have a box but he has recorded for both Sony and DG ...

He was a student of Henryk Szeryng.

TonyACT likes this.
  11. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Two examples of Columbia LPs later issued with a new cover but keeping the same catalog number. First editions are on the left and as you can see the trend was away from abstract designs to photos. Coincidentally, these examples from my collection are in sequence, ML 4864 & ML 4865.

12. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

So do I. I know Rachael Podger is revered on this forum, and I like her too, but Carmignola's 4 Seasons is vastly more exciting and dramatic than Podger's.

bluemooze and TonyACT like this.
  13. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

[​IMG]
    In case it's hard to read, Mitropoulos is conducting the Philharmonic-Symphony of New York in recordings made in Columbia's 30th Street Studio, NYC, 3/27/54 & 11/17/54. This was also also issued with a different cover, a similar shot of Francescatti posed outdoors in front of what looks like the same landscape seen through the window. He was a fine violinist who probably isn't very well-known today.

Tony A., ibanez_ax, Scourge and 7 others like this.
  14. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

First version I ever heard.

15. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

[​IMG]
    Old-school orchestrated Bach organ pieces, recorded in Philadelphia's Academy of Music in 1954 & (possibly) in 1955. Two discographies show one selection recorded in 1955, but according to Discogs the album was issued in 1954. I was OK with the arrangements except one by Elgar that was just too bombastic.

Runicen, Bevok, TonyACT and 1 other person like this.
  16. layman

layman Forum Resident

I will have to check out Scott Ross. Thank you for the tip. I also don't know where to begin with Scarlatti. Due to my phobia I have zero Scarlatti albums in my collection right now but that is about to change. Looking up Scarlatti, I see albums from artists that I liked in other repertoire, who I think might help me to appreciate (and comprehend) Scarlatti's music. Artists such as these:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    ***Just ordered the Horowitz album.***

17. Jamsterdammer

Now playing: Alessandro Scarlatti - Quella Pace Gradita (The Recorder And Violin Cantatas) - Alicia Amo, Giuseppina Bridelli, Filippo Mineccia, La Ritirata, Josetxu Obregón - recorded 2018

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

canzld, 5-String, TonyACT and 2 others like this.
  18. Jamsterdammer

Quite a coincidence. I hadn't seen @layman's post about the son before I posted the father :winkgrin:.

TonyACT and layman like this.
  19. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

Both volumes by Sudbin are a must-have. Pogorelich's is interesting, if a bit quirky, at times. I like this one, too:

[​IMG]

Sudbin probably has the best sound.

20. layman

layman Forum Resident

Thank you!

Bachtoven likes this.
  21. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

I dithered for years about buying that set. I had a 3-disc set of him playing 56 sonatas, and I couldn't decide if that was enough. I did collect other recordings over the years including Hantai on harpsichord, Horowitz, Pletnev and others on piano. I also enjoy guitar transcriptions.

Anyway, I finally bought the 34 disc set.

22. NapalmBrain

NapalmBrain Forum Resident

My first discogs classical purchase went well. Everything looked minty, and proved to be a thundering and tremendous performance
    [​IMG]

ibanez_ax, Wes H, canzld and 6 others like this.
  23. TonyACT

TonyACT Boxed-in!

I've recently listened to all of Karajan's Bruckner and found it to be a very solid body of work.

Bachtoven, 5-String and NapalmBrain like this.
  24. NapalmBrain

NapalmBrain Forum Resident

My only other reference is the 67 Haitink recording. I enjoy both for different reasons but that third movement on the Karajan was jaw dropping. I will definitely be on the hunt for more from the cycle.

TonyACT likes this.
  25. Jamsterdammer

Now playing: Antonín Dvořák - Symphony No. 6; Scherzo Capriccioso; Nocturne - Baltimore SO, Marin Alsop - recorded 2008, 2009

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

ibanez_ax, bluemooze, Wes H and 3 others like this.