Listenin' to Classical Music and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bluemooze, Feb 22, 2017.

1. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

I just realized that I have more Scarlatti than I originally thought. I have quite a few guitar transcriptions here and there and also some Horowitz on piano. I like the guitar transcriptions the best.
    Ross is my only set on harpsichord.
    I do not think that I will ever listen to all the sonatas, but it feels good to have it in case I ever decide to do it.

bluemooze and layman like this.
  2. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

I'm not a piano man when it comes to pre-Classical Era music, but Clara Haskil's early 1950s Scarlatti recordings are excellent. She's one of the forgotten greats of the 1950s in my opinion. Her Scarlatti is included in this wonderful box (unfortunately, some of the accompanying conductors and orchestras were not exactly first-tier in those years, but her playing is great):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. NapalmBrain

NapalmBrain Forum Resident

Playing the Third
    [​IMG]

ibanez_ax, Nipper, Daedalus and 6 others like this.
  4. TonyACT

TonyACT Boxed-in!

I have been collecting her CDs wherever and whenever I can find them at a decent price.

I know we've had mixed Membran / Documents experiences but I really like this set:

[​IMG]

ibanez_ax, 5-String, Daedalus and 6 others like this.
  5. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

Op.2--a great SACD.

[​IMG]

Berthold, bluemooze, Wes H and 3 others like this.
  6. Jamsterdammer

Jamsterdammer The Great CD in the Sky

Now playing: Georg Friedrich Haas - In Vain - Klangforum Wien, Sylvain Cambreling - recorded 2002

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5-String, bluemooze and TonyACT like this.
  7. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

Amazing playing and better than usual sonics from Hyperion (a bit closer perspective and less reverberant).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. JuniorMaineGuide

JuniorMaineGuide Forum Resident

I have a couple LPs by Francescatti that I like, especially the Beethoven concerto with Ormandy. I wonder if he’ll get a box set from Sony.

Daedalus, vanhooserd and TonyACT like this.
  9. JuniorMaineGuide

There's no shortage of great recordings of the Ninth but this one is my personal fave. Mackerras and the Philharmonia on Signum, a live recording:

[​IMG]

ibanez_ax, Bevok, NapalmBrain and 6 others like this.
  10. JuniorMaineGuide

Apparently Hough recorded four (!) albums during lockdown. The first is Schumann's opp. 16, 17, & 18.

Daedalus, TonyACT and Bachtoven like this.
  11. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

I have the following box ...

[​IMG]

12. coopmv

I remember seeing him on a few recordings by Bruno Walter ...

vanhooserd likes this.
  13. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

The Ristenpart / Saar Chamber Orchestra recording of the Bach Brandenburg Ctos was my first as well. After reading a glowing review of the reel-to-reel tape edition in Stereo Review magazine (in 1970), I had my local record shop order it for me.

Playing Ristenpart's version repeatedly, it became my first "standard"... but that didn't last long as I acquired many other recorded versions. Still, it has it's charm. I think the Ristenpart/Saar C.O. performance of the 1st Concerto is one of the best out there. Their 2nd is pretty good, too. The rest are a mixed bag.
    Just my 2 cents, FWIW. :)

Bevok likes this.
  14. coopmv

@crispi, Any thoughts on yet another Membrane historical recordings box? :winkgrin:

TonyACT likes this.
  15. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

[​IMG]
    My photo doesn't do justice to this lovely cover & model. Recorded 12/23/53, Academy of Music, Philadelphia. Photo by Hal Reiff.

16. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

[​IMG]
    Recorded 1/2/56, Carnegie Hall, NYC. The recessed sound of some of the earlier Columbia LPs I've posted is gone here, with the sound full & a bit in-your-face.

17. Alexlotl

Alexlotl Forum Resident

Now sampling via dodgy uploads on YouTube:

[​IMG]

Brahms - Symphony #1 - Mackerras/SCO

I wasn't actually aware these recordings existed until I spotted the above set for a very nice price on Oxfam Online, but by the time I'd done my research and concluded I wanted to buy it, it had sold. I've set my eBay searches up to find another set, so I'll just have to wait.

This seems to be the usual combination of research and musicality from Mackerras - not HIP per-se, but an orchestra size on par with the original performances (interestingly, Brahms apparently refused the offer of a larger orchestra for Symphony #4), with some period brasses and liberal use of rubato.

I've been a bit wary of Brahms for some reason, so good to have a familiar baton to start the familiarisation.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2021
  18. Wugged

Wugged Forum Resident

Looks like Maureen O'Hara .... :D

vanhooserd, Daedalus and TonyACT like this.
  19. jɑmbo

jɑmbo Forum Resident

I've been trying to listen to some different Beethoven, not just my usual. After I got the Naxos Beethoven set I was listening to a lot of different stuff, but lately I have a bad habit of just listening to different renditions of the core symphonies and concertos.

Going through the Brendel box and listening to the piano sonatas that I wouldn't normally reach for first. Nos. 20 and 26 were my favourites.

Beethoven: Piano Sonata No. 20 in G major, Op. 49, No. 2
    Beethoven: Piano Sonata No. 25 in G Major, Op. 79
    Beethoven: Piano Sonata No. 26 in E flat major, Op. 81a, "Les Adieux"
    Beethoven: Piano Sonata No. 27 in E minor, Op. 90
    Beethoven: Piano Sonata No. 28 in A major, Op. 101

Alfred Brendel (piano)

[​IMG]

20. TonyACT

TonyACT Boxed-in!

I listened to Der gloreiche Augenblick for the first time the other day, quite interesting, and definitely not my usual Beethoven.

jɑmbo likes this.
  21. *Zod*

*Zod* Forum Resident

that cover rules

P.S. - Sony, can we please get a Murray Perahia version of the Grieg Lyric Pieces?

22. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

Playing CD110 to[​IMG] start off this morning.

23. Daedalus

He recorded quite a bit-some of his collaborations are in the Casadesus box set. He is included in the Cluytens box set as well.

Scourge, JuniorMaineGuide and TonyACT like this.
  24. Alexlotl

Alexlotl Forum Resident

The Mackerras Brahms #1 was wonderful! Gutted that I missed that set. Really well recorded too, or at least in a way that suits my system very well. I could probably acquire the individual CDs easily enough, although I'm tempted to hold out for the fatboy set, both for shelf-space reasons, and to slow down my general CD acquisition!

Following that with something smaller scale which, now I come to think of it, also came from Oxfam Online:

[​IMG]

Mozart - String Quartets dedicated to Haydn, K387 & 421/417b - Quatuor Mosaiques

25. Daedalus

I have that recording on this CD. It is coupled with the Cello Concerto referenced on the cover. Issued as part of the Masterworks Heritage series in 1998 by Sony. 20 bit remastering.[​IMG]