Listenin' to Classical Music and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bluemooze, Feb 22, 2017.

1. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member Thread Starter

Listening to CD 3 from "Beethoven - Complete Piano Sonatas" performed by Melodie Zhao on Claves.

Sonatas 7, 8 & 9

[​IMG]

2. Jamsterdammer

Jamsterdammer The Great CD in the Sky

Now playing: Joseph Haydn - Piano Sonatas Hob. XVI: 20 & 49 - Alfred Brendel - recorded 1979

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. sherrill50

sherrill50 Well-adapted Melomaniac

Received this 'oldie' (1980) yesterday to fill a hole in my Hogwood collection. Also features Emma Kirkby, Judith Nelson and Nigel Rogers on vocal duties. Lovely stuff. Not sure what's up with the black lines in the cover image; needless to say, they're not in the original, but were on every web image of this that I found... :confused:

[​IMG]

4. bluemooze

Nice. :righton:

sherrill50 likes this.
  5. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

:edthumbs:

sherrill50 likes this.
  6. bluemooze

First listen to CD 4 from "The Spanish Guitar" performed by Jose Miguel Moreno on Glossa.

'La Guitarra Espanola I'

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. coopmv

While I have most Hogwood's recordings on L'Oiseau-Lyre, I generally prefer single composer recording ...

8. Jamsterdammer

Now playing: Nikolai Medtner - Piano Sonata in F Minor, Op. 5; Zwei Märchen, Op. 8; Sonaten-Triade, Op. 11 - Marc-André Hamelin - recorded 1996, 1998

CD1 from the following 4CD set:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

A very enjoyable recording.

[​IMG]

Tim 2, bjlefebvre, Daedalus and 5 others like this.
  10. coopmv

Now playing CD21 from the following box for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]I don't have the foggiest idea as to why a Sony Classical recording ended up in this box. :confused:

11. TonyACT

TonyACT Boxed-in!

That's an odd one.

I have seen occasional licencing deals in career-based boxes but not in these sort of label-based ones.

12. coopmv

WarnerMusic probably licensed this recording from Sony for this Rampal box. I have 2 out of 3 Rampal Erato boxes so far ...

TonyACT likes this.
  13. TonyACT

TonyACT Boxed-in!

Apparently. I was just noting it's odd to licence a disc when the box is meant to be his Erato recordings rather than all his recordings in that period.

14. coopmv

Even the original jacket claim for this box is in spirit only, as Erato (or WarnerMusic) actually had added additional tracks that were not in the original recording to offer us consumers better values - to have more music per disc ...

But I am not complaining. :agree:

layman and TonyACT like this.
  15. layman

layman Forum Resident

I have the EMI Chicago box too but DG also have a Chicago box (with different recording), so I got the DG Chicago box as well. I can never have too much Giulini!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Since we just talked it up, I am currently listening to Disc#2, Schubert Symphony No. 9 "The Great," and Prokofiev Symphony No. 1 "Classical."

Last edited: Aug 4, 2021
  16. Jamsterdammer

Now playing: Georg Philipp Telemann - Telemann's Garden - Elephant House Quartet - recorded 2018

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Daedalus, bluemooze, Wes H and 5 others like this.
  17. NapalmBrain

NapalmBrain Forum Resident

Replayed this excellent Scheherazade today
    [​IMG]

18. layman

layman Forum Resident

1st listen Scarlatti Sonatas, Maria Tipo, Disc #2 Vox CD:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    After our discussion of Domenico Scarlatti on this thread, I stopped by my local record shop on my way home last night and found this Vox Two-fer of Maria Tipo playing Scarlatti sonatas (on Disc #2). I really enjoyed her playing (and the Scarlatti selections she played). This is my first Maria Tipo disc (not to mention my first Scarlatti disc) and I was impressed! I did not know that both Maria Tipo and Domenico Scarlatti were born in Naples, Italy. She plays this (selection) for her hometown hero! Hurray for the Neopolitans!

I am so happy to have discovered Domenico Scarlatti's music (after hearing selections played on a Sirius XM program monday). I am equally enthused about discovering Maria Tipo. I also ordered the Horowitz disc (of Scarlatti selections) which I hope to get next week. Thank you all for guiding me in the right direction!

Daedalus, bluemooze, LaBowe and 5 others like this.
  19. Jamsterdammer

Now playing: Franz Schubert - Symphony No. 6; Rosamunde Incidental Music - Swedish Chamber Orch., Thomas Dausgaard - recorded 2012

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. HiResGeek

HiResGeek Seer of visions

Mahler: Symphony No.9
    Concertgebouw Orchestra & Riccardo Chailly
    Decca

[​IMG]

Barber: Complete Solo Piano Music
    John Browning, piano
    MusicMasters

[​IMG]

And currently, from the EMI Gilels box:
    Beethoven: Piano Concerto No.4
    Cleveland Orchestra & George Szell
    Emil Gilels, piano
    EMI

[​IMG]

21. Jamsterdammer

Now playing: Hans Abrahamsen - Zählen un Erzählen (Counting and Recounting) - Tamara Stefanovich, WDR SO Cologne, Jonathan Stockhammer - recorded 2011-2014

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

22. TonyACT

TonyACT Boxed-in!

CD spinning now from the Richard Stoltzman Complete RCA Album Collection box (it's also in the Stravinsky Complete Columbia Album box):

[​IMG]

peter1, royzak2000, ibanez_ax and 7 others like this.
  23. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

In the Peter Serkin box also.

cartologist and TonyACT like this.
  24. Daedalus

Playing a DG LP this morning. The Karajan Schubert Symphony 7(9). Berliner Philharmoniker. 139 043 Stereo. SLPM. From 1968. Perhaps, Karajan’s best version.

bluemooze, Jamsterdammer and TonyACT like this.
  25. Daedalus

Now playing this LP. Issued in 1968 in USA. Part of Melodiya/Angel “cultural exchange”. In any event, a fine performance of this piece of music. Rozhdestvensky was relatively known to music lovers in the USA at that time, having appeared as early as 1959. Melodiya/Angel had already released several USSR recordings of his in USA.[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 5, 2021