Listenin' to Classical Music and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bluemooze, Feb 22, 2017.

1. JuniorMaineGuide

JuniorMaineGuide Forum Resident

I'm enjoying Ormandy's recording of Shostakovich's 10th Symphony with Philadelphia on the Sony Essential Classics line right now. For a long time I never had much interest in Ormandy, I think because my impression was that he kind of straddled the line with "pops" repertoire. Happily I've remedied that misconception; this is a satisfying recording of what was at the time still new music.

Martinu, Wes H, Jamsterdammer and 5 others like this.
  2. TonyACT

TonyACT Boxed-in!

What are your thoughts on this box?

It's one I've been looking at exploring, it would be a new composer for me.

Mirror Image likes this.
  3. Mirror Image

Mirror Image Forum Resident

If you like Soviet Era symphonists then Myaskovsky is must!

TonyACT likes this.
  4. TonyACT

TonyACT Boxed-in!

Thanks, I like Shostakovich and have been exploring a range of works by Glazunov so will add M to my list.

Mirror Image likes this.
  5. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Now playing the following CD from my Nielsen collection ...

[​IMG]

Below was the first CD release

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 15, 2021
    Daedalus, Starwanderer, Wes H and 4 others like this.
  6. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    MS 6154, recorded 10/6/57, Broadwood Hotel, Philadelphia, but not issued until 1960. The photo on the back is of Ormandy in Russia with the composer's widow, autographing her copy of his recording of her husband's 5th. 2-eye 1963-70 pressing. Reissued on an Odyssey LP in 1973. The cover art is by Alexi von Jawlensky, 1922.

7. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

[​IMG]
    MS 6180, issued 1960. Recorded 1/31/60 & 4/10/60, Broadwood Hotel, Philadelphia. The Sinfonia for Double Orchestra is by J.C. Bach, not his father. It's an interesting work that I'd like to hear in another performance. The J.S. Bach pieces are in orchestral transcriptions by Ormandy. He is not credited with transcribing the J.C. Bach, but it seems to come from a more romantic era than 1774-77. Of course, the J.S. Bach is also romanticized, but the process seems to have gone further with his son's work. 6-eye pressing.

8. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

Phenomenal from start to finish.

[​IMG]

9. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

Playing selections from this new arrival. So far I am very happy with the sound quality which I was concerned about prior to ordering. Leonid Kogan had a wonderful tone and expressiveness. I have not been able to collect many of his recordings as most are prohibitively expensive on the used market. [​IMG]

bluemooze, layman, Klavier and 2 others like this.
  10. Mirror Image

Mirror Image Forum Resident

Now playing this entire recording:

[​IMG]

The only work I’ve heard on this recording is Sieben Worte, which is a stunning piece. Enjoying these other two works as well.

11. TonyACT

TonyACT Boxed-in!

I have a similar Clara Haskil box and it is excellent, with very good sound quality.

I know there have been mixed experiences with this company on these forums - but I have half a dozen of their boxes now and every one has been fine, perhaps it depends on their source - I imagine they don't do any remastering.

Daedalus likes this.
  12. Daedalus

You are torturing me with all these Ormandy stereo LPs. I am willing to settle for a big fancy box filled with little silver discs when Sony sees fit to issue the stereo recordings.

13. Daedalus

I think you are correct.

TonyACT likes this.
  14. Jamsterdammer

Jamsterdammer The Great CD in the Sky

Now playing:
    Joseph Haydn - Little Organ Mass; Harmoniemesse - Choir of St. John's College Cambridge; Academy of St. Martins-in-the-Field, George Guest, recorded 1977, 1966

On CD 2 of this set:

[​IMG]

15. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Hardly know the Orpheus Chamber Orchestra and wanted to know what all the fuss is about, so I'm now listening to parts of their big set, on free Spotify:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

Since you like Shostakovich, try Emil Tabakov’s symphonies, especially the 7th. I have a few others by him, but that one stands out for its sheer ferocity!

Starwanderer, Klavier and TonyACT like this.
  17. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

I've listened to several very different pieces. The playing is perfect, but it doesn't move me at all, so I'll pass; it's just not for me :)

TonyACT likes this.
  18. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

I am playing through my Columbia LPs in catalog number order, although I have skipped a few that I didn't feel in the mood for. This afternoon I moved the Masterworks monos & took the opportunity to count them. I have 153.

bluemooze, Wes H, NapalmBrain and 2 others like this.
  19. Daedalus

Wow!

vanhooserd likes this.
  20. Daedalus

Myaskovsky wrote 27 symphonies plus quite a bit of other works. Svetlanov recorded most/all(?) of his output( certainly all of his symphonic work-which is contained in the Anthology of Russian Symphonic music issued by Melodiya a few years back). Those Anthologies feature Svetlanov’s output -many with USSR Ministry of Culture Symphony Orchestra. I have the 3 volumes which were issued and they are pretty much priceless( at least to me).

21. Jamsterdammer

Now playing:
    Sofia Gubaidulina - Glorious Percussion; In Tempo Praesens - Glorious Percussion, Vadim Gluzman, Lucerne SO, Jonathan Nott - recorded 2011, 2008

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

22. Daedalus

She is another composer with whom I am pretty unfamiliar. Are there any comprehensive collections out there? If not probably sampling/streaming may be a good way to explore.

23. Jamsterdammer

I adore her work. A true original. Definitely worth checking out. No comprehensive collections as far as I know, but here are some other titles you may want to check if you can find them on streaming sites:

Canticle Of The Sun - Kremerata Baltica, Riga Chamber Choir, Maris Sirmais (2012 ECM 2256, 476 4662 DE)
    Offertorium - Gidon Kremer, Boston SO, Dutoit (2002 DG 471 625-2 EU)
    In Croce; Ten Preludes; Quaternion - Alexander Ivashkin (2001 CHAN 9958 EU)
    Complete String Quartets - Stamic Quartet (2012 Supraphon SU 4079-2 CZ)

Mirror Image has been posting a few other albums by her today.

24. Daedalus

Thanks. I have “Offertorium” as part of my Shaping The Century box. Tomorrow morning I will cue that up.

Jamsterdammer and TonyACT like this.
  25. HiResGeek

HiResGeek Seer of visions

Brahms: Violin Concerto
    Lalo: Symphonie Espagnole
    Tchaikovsky: Serenade Melancolique

Philharmonia Orchestra & Kyrill Kondrashin
    Leonid Kogan, violin
    Tower Definition Series SACD (originally EMI)

[​IMG]

Nice sounding, long overdue release for this fabulous violinist. The Lalo is great, but the Brahms is a real gem.

Martinu, bluemooze, layman and 3 others like this.