Listenin' to Classical Music and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bluemooze, Feb 22, 2017.

1. TonyACT

TonyACT Boxed-in!

I don't have the Mahler box, but I do have six of the others in this series, including the Wagner/Strauss, the Brahms, the Beethoven and the Concerto box.

I am really enjoying them all, particularly the Beethoven and Concerto boxes. The remastering sounds great to my ears (done over various years) and the performances always interesting, monumental at times.

2. TonyACT

TonyACT Boxed-in!

I slice along the top with the equivalent of a letter opener, and number them with a pen at the top right so they are easier to find.

Martinu, Wes H and bluemooze like this.
  3. TonyACT

TonyACT Boxed-in!

I suspect I have around the same number. The Karajan was the only deliberate purchase, the rest came as part of various box purchases, including that Harnoncourt.

4. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

Edit: re: Prokofiev War and Peace. The Bolshoi version conducted by Mark Ermler was the shorter version, not the Bolshoi conducted by Melik-Pashayev, as I wrote above. Anyway both are very good versions.

Mirror Image and TonyACT like this.
  5. jɑmbo

jɑmbo Forum Resident

Thanks for the link, I'll take a look and probably post. As for the box set, there's actually a new expanded edition coming out from Hanssler late this year

https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/de...pp-emanuel-bach-edition/hnum/10501425?lang=en

I have a tiny 2 blade swiss army knife with one very thin blade which is perfect for slicing the sleeves open.

NickySee, Runicen and TonyACT like this.
  6. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

7. TonyACT

TonyACT Boxed-in!

Forgot to mention I have both of those versions in an EMI Mahler box (which is why I didn't get that particular Klemperer box).

I haven't listened to his 'Das Lied' yet (I'm working through the box sequentially) but I really liked the 2nd symphony - both the sound and the performance. The remastering appears to be from 2000.

royzak2000, CMT and Daedalus like this.
  8. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

I promise I will not bring this up again-but I should have stuck to my original memory-the Melik-Pasheyev and the Ermler are Both the shorter versions. I read someone else’s review and thought my recollection must have been wrong but no I checked against the Lp timings. And of course this shortened version was the version the Soviets had decreed. Well anyway after all of this the bottom line is that you should check one of these versions out( and there are some others out there) if you are not allergic to opera and are unfamiliar with one of the pinnacles of Russian opera( even though it was created during Soviet years).

PunkSaxMix and TonyACT like this.
  9. Doctor Jimmy

Doctor Jimmy From Bach to the Beach Boys

His version of 'Das Lied' is one of the best version ever.

royzak2000 and TonyACT like this.
  10. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

[​IMG]
    1983 Nonesuch LP with two pleasant but somewhat unmemorable works. Recorded March & November, 1981, Ambassador Auditorium, Pasadena, CA using the JVC Digital Audio System (DAS-90). Production & musical supervision: Marc J. Aubort & Joanna Nickrenz. Engineering: Elite Recordings, Inc. & Stephen Blazina, Elektra Sound Recorders. Mastering: Michele Stone, Elektra Sound Recorders.

Wes H, ibanez_ax, Daedalus and 5 others like this.
  11. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

That Harnoncourt is actually a SACD and RCA ended SACD production in the mid 2000's like Universal ...

TonyACT likes this.
  12. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

[​IMG]
    More Dvořák on a 1984 Nonesuch LP. Again pleasant but not too memorable. Recorded 5/1/83, Hochstein School Auditorium, Rochester, NY. Produced & engineered by Judith Sherman. Sony digital equipment provided by New York Digital Recording (Engineer: Kevin Boutote). Mastering: Michele Stone, KM Records.

Wes H, ibanez_ax, Daedalus and 4 others like this.
  13. Jamsterdammer

Jamsterdammer The Great CD in the Sky

Now playing: Franz Schubert - Die Schöne Müllerin; Erlkönig; An Die Musik; Heidenröslein - Dietrich Fischer-Dieskau, Gerald Moore - recorded 1969-1972

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. NapalmBrain

NapalmBrain Forum Resident

Another pickup from last week, Tulip label but a US Pressing. The classical collectors I know locally totally write off all US and Italian pressings but my experience thus far is not that bad, it's a little thinner and less low end than usual but still enjoyable especially for .50. I love this work and I love Karajan and it was in nice condition so seemed worth the plunge
    [​IMG]

Wes H, ibanez_ax, Daedalus and 7 others like this.
  15. NapalmBrain

Can't say no to any Cliburn on a shaded dog for .50. Condition was a little rough but still very listenable. Not sure I like it as much as Wild's performance but it had it's own nuances that will get it more plays in the future.
    [​IMG]

peter1, ibanez_ax, Daedalus and 5 others like this.
  16. NapalmBrain

Haven't played this in awhile, but I have a soft spot for it and I'm on a Dvorak kick lately. It was among my first few records I bought when I first decided I wanted to get more into listening to and collecting classical records.
    [​IMG]

Martinu, Wes H, ibanez_ax and 9 others like this.
  17. CMT

CMT Forum Resident

On the turntable: A $1.00 thrift store find today.

Viktor Friedman - Prokofiev / Haydn – Sonata No. 6, Op. 82 / Suggestion Diabolique / Sonata In E Flat
    Orion – ORS 79341

[​IMG]

Wes H, ibanez_ax, vanhooserd and 3 others like this.
  18. CMT

CMT Forum Resident

This has always been my favorite recording of the Walton, too.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2021
    Mirror Image likes this.
  19. NapalmBrain

I'd imagine that is fairly rare, Orion was a pretty unsuccessful company I have heard some recordings sold less than a couple dozen copies. I think the only thing I personally own is some Grant Still works for violin and piano

20. CMT

CMT Forum Resident

Seems to be. It's sold only once on Discogs, for around $15, it looks like. Someone is asking about $18 for a copy. Nice performances and it's in great condition, aside from a bit of fraying and discoloration around the edges of the jacket. A nice little thrift store surprise. I'll be posting more in the coming days. Picked up 16 discs today.

peter1 and NapalmBrain like this.
  21. CMT

CMT Forum Resident

On the turntable: $1 at the thrift store today. A Swiss release from 1990.

Tschaikowsky, English Chamber Orchestra, James Judd – Streicherserenade Op.48 / Andante Cantabile Aus Dem Streichquartett Nr.1 Op.11 / Suite Mozartiana Op.61

[​IMG]

I thought the painting looked familiar. It's used on the cover of this Tchaikovsky recording as well:

[​IMG]

22. NapalmBrain

Continuing with more Dvorak, was just looking at a red stereo at work today then I saw the $100 price tag! I think my late 60s Tulip set me back $7 or $8 as much as I'd like to hear the difference it's a little rich for my blood. Beautiful record though, maybe I'll get lucky thrifting one day.
    [​IMG]

Martinu, Wes H, ibanez_ax and 10 others like this.
  23. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member Thread Starter

First listen to CD 34 from "C.P.E. Bach Edition" on Hanssler.

Keyboard Concerto Wq. 20, 30 & 37 Florian Birsak (harpsichord), Camerata Salzburg and Roger Norrington
    Symphonies Wq. 173 & 179 Camerata Salzburg and Roger Norrington

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Wes H, Daedalus, Bevok and 2 others like this.
  24. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member Thread Starter

So now I see there's a new "Completed" 2021 release of this set.

[​IMG]

Did we already talk about this and I just blissfully don't remember? :)

25. Jamsterdammer

Jamsterdammer The Great CD in the Sky

Now playing: Alfred Schnittke - Penitential Psalms - RIAS Kammerchor, Hans-Christoph Rademann - recorded 2015

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]