Listenin' to Classical Music and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bluemooze, Feb 22, 2017.

1. Alexlotl

Alexlotl Forum Resident

The 5th is an easier introduction, although it's worth reading up on the last movement to understand what's going on there. Shostakovich was walking a fine line; on the one hand, that accessibility arises form pragmatically heeding criticism from the state (with the implied threat of the gulag) that his work was too chaotic and difficult; on the other hand, he manages to both maintain his own identity throughout, and satirise the regeime in the manic, forced joyfulness of the finale.

My first Shostakovich works (completely by chance) were the 24 Preludes & Fugues, which I would also recommend as being fairly accessible. Perhaps give String Quartet #8 a try too.

Martinu, bluemooze and Mild Mavis like this.
  2. Alexlotl

Alexlotl Forum Resident

New arrival in the player for a first listen, CD1 of this set:

[​IMG]

Ravel - Gaspard de la Nuit, Jeux d'eaux, Sonatine, Miroirs - Jean-Efflam Bavouzet

I gave this a try-out via YouTube a little while ago, so when someone asked what I wanted for my birthday, I had an answer ready! A fine companion to Bavouzet's Debussy set.

TonyACT, bluemooze, Wes H and 6 others like this.
  3. Jamsterdammer

Jamsterdammer The Great CD in the Sky

Highly recommended. I think Schnittke wrote absolutely outstanding vocal music.

4. MrCJF

MrCJF Best served with coffee and cake.

I have it and really enjoy it. The sound on Mahler 2 doesn't sound any different to the earlier EMI disc I owned. I'm not sure if there are any SQ differences across the different CD issues.

5. royzak2000

royzak2000 Senior Member

6. Alexlotl

Alexlotl Forum Resident

Heard a snippet of Beethoven's 2nd on the radio while picking up the kids, which combined with those natural brasses on the Mackerras Schubert put me in the mood to dig out this recording.

[​IMG]

Beethoven - Symphony #2 - Norrington/LCP

Daedalus, Nipper, layman and 5 others like this.
  7. royzak2000

royzak2000 Senior Member

8. royzak2000

royzak2000 Senior Member

9. Scourge

Scourge The Contagion in Nine Steps

Currently playing on cd:
    Shostakovich Violin Concertos - Alina Ibragimova/Vladimir Jurowski/State Academic SO of Russia (Hyperion 2020)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. Scourge

Scourge The Contagion in Nine Steps

Lol, I hadn't even gotten to the previous page of this thread when I posted, only to find out after that this was being discussed. Highly recommended disc btw.

11. royzak2000

royzak2000 Senior Member

12. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member Thread Starter

Listening to "Barber / Shostakovich - Violin Concertos" performed by Nadja Salerno-Sonnenberg with the London Symphony Orchestra led by Maxim Shostakovich on EMI.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

TonyACT, Jamsterdammer and CMT like this.
  13. CMT

CMT Forum Resident

On the turntable: More $1 records from yesterday's thrift store visit.

Mozart - Academy Of St. Martin-in-the-Fields, Neville Marriner – Symphonies 30, 32, 33 & Adagio (37)
    Philips – 9500 790

[​IMG]

14. Jamsterdammer

Jamsterdammer The Great CD in the Sky

Now playing: Johann Sebastian Bach - Die Kunst der Fuge BWV 1080 - Davitt Moroney - recorded 1985

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. sherrill50

sherrill50 Well-adapted Melomaniac

Absolutely awesome performance. :righton:

Jamsterdammer likes this.
  16. flyingdutchman

flyingdutchman Senior Member

That's one set that will bring up a lot of mixed reaction. You either love it or you hate it.

17. Runicen

Runicen Forum Resident

It's annoying that you're probably pretty close to the mark here. All the same, an actual Beavis and Butthead episode revolving around a major media company using them as "consultants" would probably be hilarious.

I'm not sure where it comes from, but there's definitely this impression that goes with 20th century classical that it's all angular, atonal, and excessively challenging. The truth is far more complex and Villa-Lobos, for one, has really opened my eyes on the era.

I'll have to track down those works in full. Some of the "choros" make it into the Guitar Transcriptions set and one of the "bachianas" is represented in the piano music just from a quick scan.

It was fortunate that I delved into Villa-Lobos' music after going through the Anthony Philips (of Genesis fame) discography. Philips definitely cribbed a bit of feel from VL, so I was well primed for this music!

18. CMT

CMT Forum Resident

On the turntable: $1 at the thrift store yesterday.

Robert Casadesus / Camille Saint-Saëns / Gabriel Fauré – Concerto No. 4 For Piano And Orchestra / Ballade For Piano And Orchestra
    Columbia Masterworks – MS 6377

[​IMG]

19. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member Thread Starter

First listen to CD 46 from "Claudio Arrau - Complete Philips Recordings" on Decca.

Chopin - Nocturnes 1-11

[​IMG]

20. TonyACT

TonyACT Boxed-in!

A number of composers I like on that list including Korngold and Walton. Some others I will need to look out for.

Hatchet Jack likes this.
  21. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Some Tchaikovsky Piano Concerto No. 1 here ...

Last edited: Sep 21, 2021
  22. coopmv

BTW, I have this Die Kunst der Fuge CD twofer.

He studied with both Kenneth Gilbert and Gustav Leonhardt and I have his following WTC's, one of many versions of these works in my JS Bach collection ...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 21, 2021
  23. Mild Mavis

Mild Mavis Forum Resident

I only have two, personally, Andras Schiff and Angela Hewitt. Both modern obviously.

24. coopmv

I have those two piano versions of WTC's also. I tend to collect both harpsichord and piano versions of just about all keyboard works by JS Bach ...

Mild Mavis and bluemooze like this.
  25. coopmv

I have the following SACD but really am not familiar with Korngold works. I bought this recording simply because it is a SACD ...

[​IMG]

Starwanderer, TonyACT and bluemooze like this.