Listenin' to Classical Music and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bluemooze, Feb 22, 2017.

1. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

Mine starts skipping after a few minutes. I can’t see anything on the disc itself. Let me know if your disc is ok

Last edited: Oct 14, 2021
    Runicen likes this.
  2. TonyACT

TonyACT Boxed-in!

Yes, this excellent box, price in AUD; has all the smaller boxes in it - includes all his non-opera EMI recordings:

[​IMG]

3. Jamsterdammer

Jamsterdammer The Great CD in the Sky

Now playing: Johann Sebastian Bach - The Toccatas (BWV910-916) - Mahan Esfahani - recorded 2018

Apologies for the cover. Messerschmidt's sculptures can be fascinating to look at in the right context, but they don't work as cover art for classical albums I'm afraid. Not sure what the relation is with the music or the composer and hence, what the point was of the design.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

bluemooze, Bachtoven and TonyACT like this.
  4. CMT

CMT Forum Resident

Spinning in the CD player:

Shostakovich And Prokofiev - Luba Edlina, Yuli Turovsky – Sonatas For Cello And Piano
    Chandos – CHAN 8340

[​IMG]

5. Jamsterdammer

Now playing: Horațiu Rădulescu - The Complete Cello Works - Catherine Marie Tunnell, Ian Pace - recorded 2018

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

That one seems to represent the strain in trying to play them!

TonyACT and Jamsterdammer like this.
  7. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

Excellent playing and sound...with a reasonably attractive cover! ;)

[​IMG]

8. Jamsterdammer

Now that's quite possible! LOL

9. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

Man with a Tan. And hers isn't bad. Just back to Canada from a Florida vacation, I guess.

TonyACT and CMT like this.
  10. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Now listening (on Spotify) to Igor Markevitch's interpretation with the London SO of Rimsky Korsakov's Sheherazade, plus a few other pieces, from the set below:

[​IMG]

Martinu, layman, Starwanderer and 7 others like this.
  11. Jamsterdammer

Now playing:
    Francis Poulenc - Gloria; Stabat Mater - Barbara Hendricks, Chœur de Radio France, Orchestre National de France, Georges Prêtre - recorded 1988

[​IMG]

Starwanderer, Daedalus, Bevok and 4 others like this.
  12. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member Thread Starter

First listen to new arrival "Monsieur de Sainte-Colombe et ses filles" performed by the Ricercar Consort on Mirare.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

peter1, Daedalus, LaBowe and 2 others like this.
  13. Jamsterdammer

Now playing:
    Edward Elgar - The Wand Of Youth suite; The Starlight Express suite; Dream Children - Alison Hagley, Bryn Terfel, Welsh National Opera Orch., Charles Mackerras - recorded 1990

[​IMG]

Daedalus, Alexlotl, CMT and 2 others like this.
  14. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

I couldn't watch because the camera work/editing gave me motion sickness. I did listen to the first 20 minutes but it's just too repetitive for me to listen to very often.

15. Jamsterdammer

Now playing: Klaus K. Hübler - String Quartets Nos. 1 & 3; Musica Mensurabilis; String Trio - Arditti SQ - recorded 1985

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 14, 2021
  16. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

[​IMG]
    MS 7179, issued 1968. Recorded 3/23/67, Abbey Road Studio No. 1, London (Lieder) and 3/22-23/67, Walthamstow Assembly Hall, London (others). Producer: Thomas Z. Shepard. Engineer: Helmuth Kolbe. A note says "The services of Daniel Barenboim by courtesy of Capitol Records, Inc.". Barenboim was an EMI artist whose recordings appeared on the Angel label in the U.S., but I guess legally in the U.S. Angel's parent Capitol had to be named, although EMI owned both. 1970s pressing.

17. PADYBU

PADYBU Forum Resident

np# 1985 - Stravinsky, Debussy, Erich Leinsdorf Conducting The Los Angeles Philharmonic Orchestra – Firebird Suite (1910): Original Version Complete With Finale / Afternoon Of A Faun

[​IMG]

Martinu, bluemooze, ibanez_ax and 4 others like this.
  18. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

[​IMG]
    MS 7185, issued 1968. Mendelssohn recorded 12/19/57 & first issued on MS 6128 with Mendelssohn's 2nd Piano Concerto. Schumann recorded 3/17/64 & first issued on MS 6888 with Shumann's Konzertstück, Op. 92. Both recorded in the Broadwood Hotel, Philadelphia. Producer: Thomas Frost. 1968-70 pressing.

19. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

I also own that album and I agree, the recording and performance are both outstanding. For those who are interested, here is a picture of the back:

[​IMG]

If Google Translate is accurate, the German text description of the piano reads:
    "Jörg Demus plays on the 'last piano of Beethoven' by Conrad Graf, Vienna around 1825, owned by the Beethoven House in Bonn."

I believe the vivid recording can mostly be attributed to Harmonia Mundi in Germany. Still, BASF did a fine job with the US pressing.

20. Jamsterdammer

In this case Google Translate is completely accurate.

Wes H, CMT and TonyACT like this.
  21. Bevok

Bevok Forum Resident

I can imagine them saying "Good Afternoon" to the Beatles as they left the session at Abbey Road. :)

vanhooserd likes this.
  22. CMT

CMT Forum Resident

On the turntable: Beautifully recorded. Another $2 find at the Goodwill Store

Frederic Hand, Andrew Lolya – Miniatures For Classical Guitar And Flute
    Golden Crest – RE-7046

[​IMG]

bluemooze, Daedalus, PADYBU and 3 others like this.
  23. Runicen

Runicen Forum Resident

Just so we're totally on the same page, disc 76 is the one incorporating Mozart, Beethoven, and R. Strauss' "Metamorphosis for Strings," right?

Being perfectly honest, I wasn't much impressed with it, but it DID play all the way through without error on my Sony SCD-CE775.

I'm not sure if you're equipped to do so, but a way to at least more conclusively confirm that it's the disc and not your player would be to try to rip it to your computer and see if that completes successfully.

It may not even be down to your player having a fault. I have no idea if it's manufacturing tolerances weakening over time, but I've had more and more issues as years have passed with even ripping perfectly new CDs. My computer has multiple optical drives to (hopefully) combat any problems by changing the drive in use if one fails to read.

Not an ideal situation, but if these are the last days of physical media, I guess you couldn't call it unexpected.

You do have me paranoid about the other discs in my Karajan monolith though...

bluemooze, Daedalus and TonyACT like this.
  24. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

[​IMG]
    MS 7194, issued 1968. This must have been a Masterworks best-seller. It was considered amazing at the time & is still quite enjoyable. "Electronic Realizations and Performances by Walter Carlos with the assistance of Benjamin Folkman". Devised and produced by Trans-Electronic-Music Productions, Inc. (TEMPI)
    This is at least the third cover variation. The initial LPs showed a seated "Bach" who was soon replaced with the same figure standing. Neither credited Carlos on the front cover, simply saying "Performed On The Moog Synthesizer". My 1970s pressing is in excellent condition.

Martinu, Bevok, tomymontana and 8 others like this.
  25. TonyACT

TonyACT Boxed-in!

Spinning now, CD 8 from the entertaining Orpheus Chamber Orchestra box set:

[​IMG]

I'm liking a lot of the album covers as well.