Listenin' to Classical Music and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bluemooze, Feb 22, 2017.

1. Jamsterdammer

Jamsterdammer The Great CD in the Sky

Now playing: François Couperin - Pièces de violes 1728 - Jordi Savall, Ton Koopman, Ariane Maurette - recorded 1975

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Daedalus, MrCJF, Wes H and 3 others like this.
  2. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Not really! I have to pay state sales tax regardless of where in the US the etailer is located. If I buy from Presto or JPC, I do not have to pay the US state sales tax or the VAT, EU or not (the British VAT since the Brexit). I just ordered the big box by Ingrid Haebler from JPC and ended up paying less than the discounted Amazon price. Presto also has better selections than Amazon US ...

Curiosity, jɑmbo and bluemooze like this.
  3. coopmv

I too, have this SACD and have not had a second listen yet ...

4. Jamsterdammer

That's great. I would have thought that shipping costs easily exceeded sales tax in Connecticut, which is 6.85% I believe, which is way lower than the 20% VAT in Europe.

5. Jamsterdammer

Get it out again one of these days. It's beautiful music with impeccable sound. Maybe a bit on the heavy side, but I love to feel the dark and woody resonance of the viol.

peter1 likes this.
  6. coopmv

I have some recordings by the Australian Chamber Orchestra but nothing by Melbourne or Sydney.

But Ashy did make some recordings with Sydney while he was conductor there ...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

bluemooze and Steve Minkin like this.
  7. coopmv

It is about 6.35% currently. I think Chicago has some of the highest sales tax, much higher than that of NYC ...

8. Fischman

Fischman RockMonster, ClassicalMaster, and JazzMeister

Schnittke - Symphony 1
    [​IMG]

Let's see....
    20th Century mayhem with anguished strings brassy outbursts, random harpsichord appearances, and lots of timpani.
    ....I like it.

9. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member Thread Starter

Listening to "Paganini - 24 Caprices" performed by Midori on CBS.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

All of the performances are excellent, but John Ogdon knocks the Schoenberg Concerto out of the park! The sound is decent.
    [​IMG]

11. jɑmbo

jɑmbo Forum Resident

I recently picked up this 3CD Beethoven Concerto cycle cheap on Amazon because it's my local orchestra

[​IMG]

Daedalus, Marzz and bluemooze like this.
  12. Mild Mavis

Mild Mavis Forum Resident

Unfortunately it seems there's very little information at all that I can find:sigh:.

bluemooze likes this.
  13. Marzz

Marzz Forum Resident

I'm certain it's Judy Loman. The above CD is a compilation, right? Here's the original CD with the Rutter tracks.

Toronto Children's Chorus, Jean Ashworth Bartle - Dancing Day

The Marquis website must have deleted that CD.

Marquis Music - Product Catalog - Judy Loman

I have a couple of her CDs - 20th Century Music (Naxos).

Mild Mavis and bluemooze like this.
  14. Jethro B Good

Jethro B Good Senior Member

Throwing this out there. Where should I start with Beethhoven's Piano Sonatas ?

Thanks for your thoughts

15. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

Claudio Arrau, Alfred Brendel, Mari Kodama, Mauricio Pollini, Stephen Kovacevich, Paul Lewis, Michael Korstick, and Konstantin Scherbakov come immediately to mind. The ones that Emil Gilels recorded are excellent, too, but he died before recording No.32.

Jamsterdammer and Jethro B Good like this.
  16. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

Some powerful stuff here!
    [​IMG]

Jamsterdammer and bluemooze like this.
  17. bluemooze

Marzz likes this.
  18. coopmv

I was a bit mixed up between Adelaide and Brisbane as I recalled one Australian city has been chosen to be the future Olympics city some years down the road, like in the 2030's. Then I realized the city was in Queensland and Adelaide is in South Australia. I am more familiar with Melbourne and Sydney since my Aussie friend @Rick Bartlett lives outside of Melbourne.

So ABC Classic is some Aussie classical music label and owned by the same corporate parent that owns the tv network?

19. bluemooze

Listening to "Taverner / Browne / Carver - Masterworks From Late Medieval England And Scotland" performed by the Taverner Choir conducted by Andrew Parrott on EMI Reflexe.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Jamsterdammer, Marzz and Wes H like this.
  20. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

Old favorite going on the turntable tonight: Jean Philippe Rameau Pièces de clavecin, en concert.
    Robert Veyron-Lacroix (harpsichord), Jean-Pierre Rampal (flute), Jacques Neilz (cello).

Nonesuch LP / First released in 1965; I bought it new in 1972... my 50th anniversary with this album!

[​IMG]

Nonesuch licensed this from Critere Recording, Paris.
    I don't think this ever appeared on CD... which is a shame because the performance is enchanting.
    The LP still sounds great and I cherish my memories of playing this late at night over many years.

21. bluemooze

This CD has just a single Beethoven sonata but I think it's a good place to start. :)

"Beethoven / Schumann / Thalberg / Liszt" performed by Valentina Lisitsa on Naxos.

[​IMG]

ibanez_ax, Marzz, Daedalus and 2 others like this.
  22. Marzz

Marzz Forum Resident

Just ordered. Thanks :thumbsup:

Last edited: Dec 1, 2022
    Bachtoven likes this.
  23. Ken E.

Ken E. Senior Member

"Indian Delta": Vishwa Mohan Bhatt & Sandeep Das on Mohan Veenaa and tabla.

bluemooze likes this.
  24. jɑmbo

jɑmbo Forum Resident

ABC Classic is a radio station run by the national broadcaster the ABC (similar to PBS and NPR). They also runs a label to release recordings by the various orchestras of Australia.

The main capital city orchestras used to be state owned and a sub-division of the ABC, but were privatised in the late 1990s.

Adelaide is a lot smaller than the east coast cities, only about 1.4m people compared to Brisbane with 2.5m, Melbourne with 4.9m and Sydney with 5.2m. Adelaide is often referred to as the largest country town in Australia.

Marzz and john greenwood like this.
  25. bluemooze

Listening to "Wonderland" performed by Alice Sara Ott with the Symphonie Orchester des Bayerischen Rundfunks led by Esa-Pekka Salonen on DG.

Grieg - Piano Concerto in A minor / Lyric Pieces - Pieces from Peer Gynt

[​IMG]
    [​IMG][/QUOTE]