Listenin' to Classical Music and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bluemooze, Feb 22, 2017.

1. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

A sick pet is much like a sick baby: neither can tell you what’s wrong or where it hurts. In Lucy’s case, aside from not eating and vomiting a few times, she was her usual sweet, purring self. Every morning she still curled up on my chest for an hour or more when I listened to music.

2. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

I fully understand. Although I have two boys (both grown and moved away on their own many years ago), my two cats are now my only house companions. When one is sick, I'm deeply concerned. When one passes away (as happened last year), I'm devastated with grief. In every sense, they are my current children!

Wishing your cat a speedy recovery from whatever ails her. Take care, @Bachtoven

3. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Vernon Handley's recordings of Elgar 1 and 2 with the London PO were very highly regarded back in the day, and rightly so, but these days they are often overlooked, probably because Handley is pretty much forgotten these days. Pity.

4. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

I have Elgar 1 & 2 by Haitink on EMI ...

5. Alexlotl

Alexlotl Forum Resident

I think his Vaughan Williams cycle is still very much part of the conversation, although I find UK EMI engineering from that era very uneven.

6. Steve Minkin

Steve Minkin Senior Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Hummel -- Piano Concerto #4 / Double Concerto (Shelley/ Shaham/ London Mozart Players)

bluemooze, CMT, Wes H and 1 other person like this.
  7. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Now listening to parts of this 2CD-set by the excellent Dudok String Quartet Amsterdam:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

ibanez_ax, bluemooze, CMT and 2 others like this.
  8. peter1

peter1 Now things are looking up!

I love that recording. I also bought the other 3 LPs by those same great musicians- the Op. 3, 8, and 9 #2. I’ll have to play those again soon.

Wes H likes this.
  9. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

I didn't know that. Thank you for this information. I don't have his recording of Elgar's Symphony No. 2, but may look for it now.

Yes, it's a great pity, but I think Handley rather narrowly concentrated his efforts on British music, which limited and limits the public's exposure to his recordings.

10. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

Yes, Handley's Vaughan Williams Symphony cycle is quite good. I have it in this CD box set:

[​IMG]

bluemooze likes this.
  11. coopmv

I think I may be able to check them out on Presto. For second or third tiered composers, I may just want to get something representative or their best works and call it quit for obvious reasons ...

12. coopmv

I also have this box along with the following Elgar box

[​IMG]

Both have a number of Handley's recordings ...

Wes H likes this.
  13. CMT

CMT Forum Resident

Spinning in the CD player. Wasn't in the Discogs database, so I added it. $1.99 find today.

David Holzman – Explorations: New Amercian Piano Music
    Centaur Records – CRC 2291

[​IMG]

14. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

[​IMG]
    From Unlocked Recordings: RCA Victor LM-2042, mono. Works by Bach, Beethoven, Humperdinck, Mozart, Rachmaninoff, Johann Strauss, Jr., and Tchaikovsky. With "His Orchestra". Recorded 1947-1955.

15. coopmv

Now playing CD46 from the following box for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It appears the following twofer is CD46-47 in the above big box

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 10, 2023
  16. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member Thread Starter

Listening to CD 49 from "Deutsche Harmonia Mundi 50 CD Collection".

'A Singspiel in One Act. After a story from The Arabian Nights.'

"Carl Maria Von Weber - Abu Hassan" performed by Chorwerk and Capella Coloniensis Des WDR directed by Bruno Weil.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

ibanez_ax and Jamsterdammer like this.
  17. bluemooze

I hope everything works out OK for your cat. My cat's medical problems hit me hard emotionally.

18. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

Thank you. It's been pretty hellish, mostly thinking about what might be possibly wrong (and I excel at thinking the worst...), and knowing how terrified she must have been at the vet and some of the awful things they had to do to her. I became emotionally overwhelmed on more than one occasion. She was at an emergency vet for 3 hours on Sunday, one hour on Thursday with her normal vet, which was not so bad, but 9 hours yesterday. To add insult to injury. her sister hissed at her for hours and even swatted her all three days because she smelled different. Lucy has be terrified of her, but tonight all seemed well, and they even mutually groomed each other. @bluemooze I hope you cat is OK. (I can't tell if it's an ongoing situation or in the past.)

This wonderful recording brought me some relief tonight.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 11, 2023
  19. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

[​IMG]
    From Unlocked Recordings: Capitol G-7104, 1958, mono. Issued on HMV in the UK.

ibanez_ax, jɑmbo, Daedalus and 3 others like this.
  20. bluemooze

First listen to CD 11 from "Pogorelich - Complete Recordings" on DG.

Brahms -
    Capriccio Op. 76 No. 1
    Intermezzo Op. 118 No. 2
    Rhapsodies Op. 79
    Intermezzi Op. 117

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

21. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Sorry to hear about your cat, I hope she'll get better soon.

Those Wasowski Chopin discs are great, especially the one with the Nocturnes.

Bachtoven likes this.
  22. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

1970, 1971 recordings.[​IMG]

23. Daedalus

We had a wonderful kitty who died a couple of years ago at the age of 20. I got her from the local shelter when she was a kitten so that she and our 2 children could grow up together. We loved that cat and she reciprocated by sleeping on the couch with us in front of TV. My daughter has since rescued a cat from the shelter who has joined her in her apartment and he has a very amusing personality. It is very tough when they are ailing and you are trying to figure out what is happening. Good luck with kitty.

24. Daedalus

Regarding “Unlocked Recordings”-I found this one listed at the Internet Archive which is included in the list. This version of “The Planets” on Lp was the first version I had heard and I treasured that Lp. Where did it go? Lost to the ravages of time. [​IMG]

25. Daedalus

This will be the next CD in queue: 1971, 1974 recordings. Some more( relatively) off the beaten track pieces.[​IMG]