Listenin' to Classical Music and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bluemooze, Feb 22, 2017.

1. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member Thread Starter

Listening to "Nicola Matteis - False Consonances of Melancholy" performed by Gli Incogniti and Amandine Beyer (violin & direction) on Zig Zag.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member Thread Starter

I just picked it up recently, that was my second listen to it. Practically every time I search online for early music album covers I find new stuff. :)

3. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

4. Daedalus

I have this and I am somewhat critical of it. I haven’t listened to it for a long time-but my impression back when was that it was somewhat colorless. But-I had been considering giving it another go, strangely enough. When I do-I will post my current opinion.

TonyACT and bluemooze like this.
  5. Daedalus

And now from Decca mono box. Also includes Clemens Krause conducting Wagner excerpts from Parsifal and Tristan und Isolde. 1948, 1949 recordings.[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 2, 2024
  6. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

Enesco (Enescu):
    Roumanian Rhapsody No 1, Op. 11

Liszt:
    Hungarian Rhapsodies 1-6

Antal Dorati, London SO

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

I have that in a small Erich Kleiber box set. Small because, like his son, Erich didn’t make many recordings.

TonyACT and Daedalus like this.
  8. WyldRage

WyldRage Forum Resident

PP
    Overtures From Finland
    Oulu Sinfonia, Rumon Gamba

Good, well-recorded, but front-loaded album: it starts with Sibelius, Klami, Melartin and Madetoja, and they are followed by 6 other composers I don't recognize. By the mid-point, I was ready to move on to another album.

[​IMG]

Bartók: The Wooden Prince (final version), Divertimento, Romanian Folk Dances
    Orchestral Works Vol. 3
    BBC Scottish Symphony Orchestra, Thomas Dausgaard

So, what is the difference between the full version of The Wooden Prince and the final version? About 10 minutes off a runtime of 52 or so minutes, so it's not a Suite that cuts off half of the ballet. I don't know the work enough for me to easily spot the differences. The one I have noticed is in the seventh dance, when it falls silent except for a cymbal just before the climax: in the original version, there is a false climax before falling silent again, but it's not there in the final version.

Like the rest of this series, this is well played and beautifully recorded. Compared with Mälkki's version, this is sharper, edgier, with more highs and lows and will probably replace hers in my collection. Compared to my top preference, Zoltan Kocsis's, it's close, with better recorded bass, but I don't think Kocsis will ever be bettered for my tastes. The whole Dausgaard series has been a close second to Kocsis, with slightly better sound... and much more available.

The Divertimento is played much slower than Kocsis's, giving it a totally different feel.

[​IMG]

I also tried, but it didn't do anything for me (don't know the movie, and it sounds terribly generic... probably because it served as a basis for subsequent movie scores):
    The Film Music of Erich Wolfgang Korngold, Volume 2 [The Sea Hawk]
    BBC Philharmonic, Rumon Gamba

NP
    Nielsen: Violin Concerto & Symphony No. 4
    James Ehnes (violin), Bergen Philharmonic Orchestra, Edward Gardner

I just finished the first movement of the Violin Concerto, and I feel I have a winner in my hands. Beautiful, dynamic sound (I always liked the other BPO). Gardner is one of the best conductors Chandos records (with Neeme Järvi and Gamba). I compared a bit the 4th Symphony with my other version (Sakari Oramo on BIS), and Gardner's just sound better IMO. It's not too surprising: I always found Oramo's 4th and 5th not up to the standard of his 2 other discs.

[​IMG]

9. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

Gave this a spin on Sunday, enjoying home after being away for 10 days. This DG pressing from the early 70s manages to sound lovely and escapes their often thin-sounding mastering of the era. One of my favorite performances of these pieces.

dan c
    [​IMG]

10. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

Ruth and Rach was a good combination. CD 1.

Rachmaninov:
    Morceaux de Fantaisie, Op. 3
    Morceaux de Salon, Op. 10
    Moments Musicaux, Op. 16

Ruth Laredo, Piano

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. HiResGeek

HiResGeek Seer of visions

Beethoven: Piano Sonatas "Waldstein", "Les Adieux", "Appassionata"
    Emil Gilels, piano
    DG

[​IMG]

Brahms: Symphonies, etc.
    Cleveland Orchestra & George Szell
    Sony [DSD64]

[​IMG]

12. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

I have this Angel LP along with the EMI release from a later purchase ...

13. Klavier

Klavier Forum Resident

I really like this recording. He lets the music breathe rather than micro-managing every note the way some younger pianists do, and the sound is very good.
    [​IMG]

14. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Just heard on Dutch radio that Finnish conductor Klaus Mäkelä (28) will take over as Musical Director of the Chicago Symphony Orchestra in 2027, the same year he will also become Chief Conductor of the Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra.

15. WyldRage

WyldRage Forum Resident

A bit ridiculous, but he isn't the first, and won't be the last, especially in an era where Star-power is what matters first and foremost.

Is he that good? Or is it just because he is young? I have his Sibelius cycle (really cheap on Presto), very well recorded, but it seems just ok at best.

EDIT: Just checked a few samples against Blomstedt and Nézet-Séguin (another conductor collecting orchestras). While Mäkelä sounds louder, I think it might just be due to dynamic compression. The strings sound metallic (probably boosted a bit), the climaxes appear muted, and the variations in loudness between passages are not always apparent.

Now, some dynamic compression is required, since we are moving from a concert hall to speakers and headphones, but too much can make a recording sound dull and/or tiring. It's nowhere near as bad as pop music and remasters, but it can affect climaxes in classical music.

16. WyldRage

WyldRage Forum Resident

I'm happy to report that Gardner's Nielsen Symphony No. 4 and Violin Concerto is everything I wanted it to be. Highly recommended. Chandos, bring out the rest!

NP
    Orff: Carmina Burana
    Lynne Dawson (soprano), John Daniecki (tenor), Kevin McMillan (baritone)
    San Francisco Symphony Orchestra and Chorus, Herbert Blomstedt

Wait! There's something more to Carmina Burana than O Fortuna? /s First time I'm hearing the rest (and that is NOT sarcasm).

[​IMG]

17. Klavier

Klavier Forum Resident

The back cover makes the contents easier to read. This might seem like an odd pairing, but in their own ways, both composers pushed the limits of violin playing.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

18. Jamsterdammer

Jamsterdammer The Great CD in the Sky

Now playing: The Garden of Zephyrus (Courtly Songs of the Early Fifteenth Century) - Margaret Philpot, Rogers Covey-Crump, Imogen Barford, Gothic Voices, Christopher Page - recorded 1984

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

I have never heard of him until now. This Slipped Disc editorial seems unnecessarily mean spirited, but I get the concerns about an overextended and inexperienced director. The comments are about as nasty as well. Is anyone happy in classical music these days? :help:

Editorial: Chicago got a raw deal - Slippedisc

dan c

TonyACT, Bachtoven and Yev B like this.
  20. Yev B

Yev B Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    The concerto (even if written by CCP committee, and not two conservatory students as the official narrative claims) is absolutely gorgeous. And the other pieces on this album are wonderful too. It should be ok to enjoy a sincere, if embellished, presentation of folklore without dogmatic modernization (as in Bartok or Mompou).

Not sure why IG shadow-banned the post where I tried to share this album, but do listen to it: The Butterfly Lovers Violin Concerto

21. Jamsterdammer

Jamsterdammer The Great CD in the Sky

Now playing: Tomaso Albinoni - Concerti per violino senza numero d'opus CO 1-4; Sinfonie a quattro senza numero d'opus SI 2-9 - Fabrizio Ammetto, L'Orfeo Ensemble - recorded 2000

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

22. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

It's too bad that the major orchestras that constantly book Klaus Mäkelä don't have Norman Lebrecht's massive musical insight. :rolleyes:

Klavier, TonyACT and Dan C like this.
  23. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

Just Quartet No.2.
    [​IMG]

24. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Mäkelä has conducted the Royal Concertgebouw several times in the last couple of years. I've heard a few of his live concerts on Dutch radio and I can't say I'm very enthusiastic about those. Neither am I very positive about the recordings I've heard, the Sibelius cycle with the Helsinki Orchestra for instance: weird tempo choices, and overall it didn't sound "right" to me. Comments on his appointment in Amsterdam were mixed here, some are excited, others, including myself, not so much... Haven't seen any comments on his Chicago appointment yet.

Daedalus, Wes H, WyldRage and 2 others like this.
  25. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

Liszt:
    Légendes (S 175)
    Consolations (S 172)
    Fantasia & Fugue on B-A-C-H, S529
    Deuxiem Ballade (S 17) in B Minor
    Quatre Valses Oubliées (S 215) in F Sharp Minor
    Impromptu (S 191) in F Major

Lilya Zilberstein, Piano

[​IMG]

[​IMG]