Listenin' to Classical Music and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bluemooze, Feb 22, 2017.

1. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Included in this upcoming set, of course, which is scheduled for release on February 23 (Amazon Germany) or March 2 (JPC Germany):

[​IMG]

2. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

He was the preeminent classical trombone player. I'm not sure how much he plays these days, he's mostly a conductor and composer. As a performer, he released a lot of albums of modern compositions, but also a lot of baroque, classical and romantic music. IMO, he's a great composer and a solid conductor of contemporary compositions. I haven't listened to any of his non-contemporary albums as a conductor so I don't know how he does with them.

bluemooze and ShallowMemory like this.
  3. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

She retired? Both she and Springsteen were students of my brother-in-law's late aunt at some NJ high school many years ago ...

bluemooze and ShallowMemory like this.
  4. royzak2000

royzak2000 Senior Member

5. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

Going on the TT... Record No. 2 of this two-LP set:
    Mozart: Piano Concerto No. 21, played by Robert Casadesus with George Szell conducting members of The Cleveland Orchestra, and
    Mozart: Violin Concerto No. 5, played by Isaac Stern with George Szell conducting the Columbia Symphony Orchestra.

Again, I believe Discogs is in error listing this as "Released: 1972," when my own copy includes a note that I bought it in 1971.

[​IMG]

Outstanding performances. The recording is a touch bright, but I'll take that over dull!

6. ShallowMemory

ShallowMemory Classical Princess

It won't be the first time Discogs has an incorrect date of release for an lp as I've spotted several before now

7. julesd68

julesd68 Forum Resident

Yes indeed that is the Albert Memorial in all its gothic splendour! It enjoys a commanding position in Hyde Park just in front of the Royal Albert Hall.

You will be pleased to hear that around $18 million was spent on restoring it to its mint condition you see now.
    The Royals didn't put their hands in their pockets for this, it was English Heritage.

[​IMG]

8. coopmv

Discogs also has many missing images for recordings ...

9. royzak2000

royzak2000 Senior Member

10. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

Wow! I don't recall all that gold. It looks great. I'll be sure to check it out if I get back to London some day.

DeepFloyd11 likes this.
  11. coopmv

Looks like you have the earlier compilation. How many times have these Beethoven Symphonies been repackaged. Here is my box ...

[​IMG]

royzak2000, bluemooze and Mowgli like this.
  12. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Saw it on one of my visits to London. Am I allowed to say that I hated it? :)

13. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

Sure. As with the various comments on music here, it's all in the eyes (and ears) of the beholder. No one should get ruffled by another's opinion. :)

julesd68 likes this.
  14. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

Does it still take the same number of holes to fill it after the restoration?

crispi likes this.
  15. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

Late afternoon... and I'm in dire need of hearing Mr. Rubinstein play some Chopin.

I believe this is from the mid-'60s; a very fine RCA recording and a superb selection of Chopin in the hands of this great interpreter.

[​IMG]

16. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

Listening to 1 and 2 on CD. Tchaikovsky is right up Dorati's alley.

[​IMG]

17. julesd68

julesd68 Forum Resident

Absolutely!

It is of course ‘of its time’ and the high Gothic style isn’t to everybody’s taste. However, I think it’s a very fine and historically important tribute to a man who made a significant contribution to our country in a short space of time.

I think it would be an understatement to say that Albert's arrival in England from Germany was initially met with an almost obsessive suspicion, but the memorial to me symbolises how this opinion gradually changed as people realised how serious he was about his public duty. It cost a fortune at the time, but we should remember that the cost was actually met by the public, which says a lot.

18. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

You mean the building on the other side of the street, the Royal Albert Hall. The monument in the image is the Albert Memorial.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
  19. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Let me add that I don't like monuments like this or statues in general, most of them are pompous and kitschy.

20. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

We made the mistake of going to Westminster Abbey during one of our trips to London. It's filled with pompous monuments.

J.A.W. likes this.
  21. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

Proper foggy in the northeast as well, taken during my walk now:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

This unusually warm weather and rain has destroyed my skiing plans for this weekend :'(

Argerich and Horowitz (disc 57a Carnegie Hall recording from the Original Jacket box) playing Schumann's Fantasie in C. Argerich's EMI performance is one of the best I have heard, a shame it is not on the Warner Classics box for those that don't have this CD/LP.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

22. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Agreed, but I found it still an interesting place to see all those graves of famous people, including royalty such as Elizabeth I and her beheaded cousin, Mary, Queen of Scots.

julesd68 likes this.
  23. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

I only ski one week a year out west. Perhaps if I lived in New England I'd ski more often but I doubt it. The snow's better out west. Even icy western snow is different than icy eastern snow. The closest ski areas to me are 1.5 hours with only 700 vertical.

24. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

True, but there were also a lot of graves of vain rich people. Maybe even more rich people than famous people.

25. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

I have no idea who outnumbers who :)