Listenin' to Classical Music and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bluemooze, Feb 22, 2017.

1. DeepFloyd11

DeepFloyd11 Lady Eclectic

Can't have an opinion on that. Never eaten UK beef.
    Canadian beef that I eat is grass fed and I occasionally enjoy a good sirloin steak here. I have also tried Argentinian and Brazilian beef - very good.
    I don't eat corn fed American beef. Cows should eat grass not corn in my opinion.
    There is an interesting documentary we recently saw called Steak Revolution. It's on Netflix - quite interesting. They explore the culture of steak and how it varies from country to country. Leaner beef steaks in some cultures are the popular thing - fattier, marbled meat considered better in others.

ShallowMemory likes this.
  2. DeepFloyd11

3. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

Ha! You have a colorful imagination! Yes, it's a captivating picture (and the music is quite good, too ;)), but you might find him less sinister in the alternate shot/pose below. The album credits Chris Hopper as photographer, but no other information.

[​IMG]

I recall seeing an advertisement for this record in Stereo Review magazine, wherein he was referred to as "The Phantom of the Piano"-- obviously some ad person at Columbia thought Lewenthal looked like he stepped out of Gaston Leroux's novel.
    At the time he was starting a "Romantic Revival" series of albums featuring important-but-forgotten 19th century composers or works by famous composers that were neglected. I don't believe it went past two volumes, though. Here is the other one:

[​IMG]

Both albums came with little 7" bonus records where he talks about the music and illustrates points at the keyboard.

4. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

And I thought my audio gear was taking up a lot of room! That horn looks scary.

bluemooze likes this.
  5. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

It's not dated anywhere, but I thought it was an early '80s release. EMI is/was the parent of the French Pathé Marconi company, so I suppose they wanted to keep the EMI logo on it, but with a slight variance. The record label still has the "His Master's Voice" dog on it.

[​IMG]

6. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

Sorry to hear that; I hope they give you a good bill of health after your scan.

ShallowMemory likes this.
  7. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

Did you take that photo near where you live?

DeepFloyd11 likes this.
  8. ShallowMemory

ShallowMemory Classical Princess

A lot with meats is in how you cook it and personally I always source ours locally from an independent butcher from local farm and so very traceable.

DeepFloyd11 likes this.
  9. Soulpope

Soulpope Common one

[​IMG]

(LP Deutsche Grammophon German Press 2530 133) 1971 .... straight to the point Brahms Klavierquartett reading ....

10. Soulpope

Soulpope Common one

[​IMG]

(CD Chandos Red Book Edition CHAN-9902) 2001 .... recorded December 2000 .... bought this recently on a strong recommendation from a wise music enthusiast (with a hint that this Chandos CD being on the verge becoming extinct) and so glad I did follow - luminous music in superb sound ....

11. ShallowMemory

Phase Three where Shallow adds three works...
    [​IMG]
    Grieg, E. String Quartets with Fugue. Meccore String Quartets 2017 MDG 903 1998-6 stereo/"whatever" sacd
    A cheap used find on the 'bay of all places, this is an entertaining account well recorded at least in stereo by this Polish assemblage even if the multichannel is 2+2+2 rather than 5.0/5.1 which really makes no sense as most multichannel users will be using 5.0/5.1 and variations.

Eigenvector, bluemooze and Wes H like this.
  12. ShallowMemory

Maybe Chandos would care to do a box set?

13. julesd68

julesd68 Forum Resident

Coming soon to a screen near you -

“Dracula vs Lewenthal: Clash of the Immortals"

Rated X - contains gratuitous scenes of piano playing in long cloaks.
    American Humane states only a few hundred bats were hurt in the making of this film.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

14. julesd68

julesd68 Forum Resident

Much of the beef in our supermarkets is fairly tasteless and tough. But the good stuff is available at a price.

We used to buy organic rib eye steaks of Hereford Beef which were just amazingly delicious.
    Of course Scotch Beef has always enjoyed a high reputation.

DeepFloyd11 likes this.
  15. Soulpope

Soulpope Common one

[​IMG]

(LP Supraphon SUA ST 50556) 1964 .... recorded @ Supraphon Studios in Prague, 1963 .... (IMO) the definitive execution of this Janacek key euvre .... excellent sounding original Supraphon pressing ....

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
  16. hvbias

hvbias Forum Resident

No conversation is complete without

[​IMG]

17. ShallowMemory

Naw, you needs a this...
    [​IMG]
    :D

bluemooze and DeepFloyd11 like this.
  18. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

CD from the third Living Presence box. Some of the Rossini I can hum in my sleep; I'm less familiar with the Verdi.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. ShallowMemory

From the my earliest classical cds pile...
    [​IMG]
    Haydn Cello concerts 1&2 etc Capella Istrolitana cond. Peter Breiner with Ludovit Kanta on cello.1989 Naxos 8.550059
    An early one in a four for twelve pounds offer I bought that adds Boccherini's B Flat Cello Concerto this is an enjoyable listen although it's not HIP and Peter Breiner uses his own Cadenzas so it's hardly purist.

20. andolink

andolink Forum Resident

Christer Lindwall: En millimeter ljus (1996-97); Wenn sie so, dann ich so und pferd fliegt (2000)
    Ensemble Gageego!
    Ensemble SON

[​IMG]

bluemooze and scompton like this.
  21. DeepFloyd11

Yes, that's in Lake Louise - a mountain just sideways from the famous lake view. I took that photo a couple years ago....
    Here's a few more I took that day in Banff National Park. Such a wondrous place.
    BTW Banff National Park is just over an hour drive away from Calgary, where I live.

Two Jack Lake

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Lake Minnewanka

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

bluemooze, Wes H, Byrdsmaniac and 4 others like this.
  22. DeepFloyd11

:love::righton:

23. DeepFloyd11

While doing some serious house- cleaning. This interpretation is energizing. :pineapple:

[​IMG]

Eigenvector, bluemooze, Wes H and 3 others like this.
  24. [​IMG]
    I picked up a pile of 5 Hilary Hahn CDs from Amazon (for a total of less than €25) after reading positive comments about her playing here in this thread. These were 2 pieces I was previously unfamiliar with, I was impressed by both, especially The Lark Ascending. Looking forward to hearing the other titles soon.

25. I should get some more Haydn symphonies. What are some great interpretations to start with?