Listenin' to Classical Music and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bluemooze, Feb 22, 2017.

1. DeepFloyd11

DeepFloyd11 Lady Eclectic

Canada deserves a trip on its own. British Columbia / Alberta would be the perfect combo. So much scenery and natural beauty. I am totally in love with the Rocky Mountains and the otherworldly lakes.

mdekoning likes this.
  2. I visited the US twice:

In 2014 we started out in Denver, then across the Rockies to Utah. In Utah we visited Arches, Canyonlands, Dead Horse Point and Natural Bridges. Then on to Arizona for Monument Valley, Page, Antelope Canyon and the North Rim of the Grand Canyon. Back to Utah for Bryce Canyon and Zion. Finally to Las Vegas and California for Death Valley, Sequoia, King's Canyon and Yosemite, then from San Fransisco to LA across the Pacific Coast Highway.

In 2017 we once again started out in Denver, but now to the north across Rocky Mountain NP to Wyoming and Yellowstone. From there southwards to Grand Teton, Dinosaur National Monument, Arches (again), Capitol Reef, Bryce (again), Cedar Breaks, Snow Canyon, to Arizona. We visited Page and Antelope Canyon again, then on to the south rim of the Grand Canyon, Flagstaff, Sedona, Meteor Crater, Petrified Forest on to Phoenix.

The 2 most beautiful holidays I ever had

3. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

How accessible are the trails? My wife uses a walker which eliminates a lot of scenic areas.

4. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

That’s a lot of driving. Hopefully those were long trips.

I did a 3 month road trip in the Southwest in the 80s. It was a great trip.

5. DeepFloyd11

That's an awesome experience! I have been in NYC and Ann Arbor (my uncle lives there ) a few times since I was a toddler....all the way until 1999. I have been to the Grand Canyon and Yellowstone....on a long 5 week road trip my Dad took us in 1979. I remember everything so vividly. We drove from Mexico City to San Antonio and then West....all the way to Phoenix, Flagstaff...Reno, Sacramento, San Francisco, LA, San Diego.....Mexicali, Sonora, Sinaloa, Jalisco all the way back to Mexico City. One of the highlights was visiting the McDonald Douglas Airplane industry in Long Beach. I saw how they made the DC 10.
    I've since then visited many places in the USA, but mostly Texas and Florida. My fave city though is by far Chicago. What a beautiful city. If I were rich and could afford
    Pied-à-terre in the USA...that's what I would pick.

ubertrout and mdekoning like this.
  6. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Now playing CD1 - Keyboard Concertos Nos. 1, 2, 4 (BWV 1052, 1053 and 1055) from the following box for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

David*M, bluemooze, Wes H and 2 others like this.
  7. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

I think Karajan's Haydn is for his admirers only, pre-romantic works were not his forte. My recommendation would be the complete set by Hogwood, Brüggen and Dantone (4 smphonies only) if you don't mind HIP, or the complete Dorati set if you do.

https://www.amazon.de/Sinfonien-Ges...8&qid=1515864677&sr=1-3&keywords=dorati+haydn

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

https://www.amazon.de/Sinfonien-Ges...8&qid=1515864611&sr=1-3&keywords=dorati+haydn

[​IMG]

Wes H, mdekoning and Mowgli like this.
  8. DeepFloyd11

All the lakes around Banff are very accessible. Lake Minnewanka, Two Jack Lake, Lake Louise and Moraine Lake....very easy to get to from the Parking grounds. A bit of walking involved but nothing major and no climbing or hiking either. You can rent a boat on Lake Minnewanka and have a picnic in the middle of the lake with those amazing mountains as a view.....gorgeous experience.

Accessibility

9. DeepFloyd11

On the TT....:tiphat:

[​IMG]

Eigenvector, bluemooze and Wes H like this.
  10. coopmv

The man with the golden flute, which was made in NYC ...

11. coopmv

Vacation on a budget is only doable for young gal like you. I doubt a 64 year old geezer like me would want to carry a 70 lb backpack while walking the trail. Even though I can walk 8 - 9 miles a day when weather is decent and have energy to spare but that is exercise close to my house. Old age really sucks ... :(

I read about the 72 year old hubby of some major NY politician went on a mountain climbing trip to Mt Everest and ended up coming home in a body-bag ...

12. Loved listening to Tchaikovsky over the holidays

bluemooze and ShallowMemory like this.
  13. coopmv

Kobe Beef! :righton:

[​IMG]

14. coopmv

Love those dracula movies by Christopher Lee! :righton:

vanhooserd and julesd68 like this.
  15. Mowgli

Mowgli Runs with scissors

Both of your links go to the Dorati set
    Here's the 107 by Hogwood, Brüggen and Dantone - https://www.amazon.de/Haydn-Sämtliche-107-Sinfonien-Limited/dp/B01BHFPU3S

16. coopmv

Such name similarity. Here is Lake Minnetonka in MN vs. Lake Minnewanka in Canada ...

[​IMG]

bluemooze and DeepFloyd11 like this.
  17. coopmv

Is this the SACD version?

18. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

When I went on a week long sea kayak trip I Hawaii, there was a 74 year old couple on the trip. We paddle 10 miles the first day.

19. coopmv

Lake Louise almost looks like the Norwegian Fjords when I took the ferry in Norway back in the early 90's ...

20. DeepFloyd11

I know....it was just a suggestion for our friend from the Netherlands. He is a young person - so he can definitely do it - if he wishes to do it.

I am a bit high maintenance, I have never gone camping and don't intend to do in the future. But I do like to walk and hike for miles and miles....
    Love nature and its beauty. One of the main reasons we traveled so far to Thailand was to see the province Krabi and the incredible limestone cliffs and islands there....

See how happy I am? To rent our private longtail boat and explore the wonders of the various islands and beaches....snorkel amidst hundreds of tiny colorful fish..... that was so worth it!

[​IMG]

On the other hand, my co-worker's Dad who is 65 just went this year to climb K2 in Pakistan and did it!
    Not everyone gets killed in the attempt to fulfill their dreams. Although for K2 in particular the mortality rate is 25 % - which is ghastly.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
    bluemooze and mdekoning like this.
  21. coopmv

:agree: Karajan's Haydn Symphonies are no better than his Bach Brandenburg Concertos ...

Mowgli likes this.
  22. DeepFloyd11

Never tried that. I have known about it for years and they also portray it in the documentary Steak Revolution I mentioned yesterday. There is an even better more famous Japanese beef. Matsusaka.

Matsusaka beef - Wikipedia

23. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

I believe this went out of print for a while? Looks like it is back in stock at many classical retailers and Amazon.

Oh yes, Amazon Germany 3 for 2 sale is back on. They did not raise the prices for a couple of boxes I had on my watch list.

24. julesd68

julesd68 Forum Resident

That would be an awesome trip. I have to make it happen somehow ... :agree:

25. DeepFloyd11

On the TT...:tiphat:

[​IMG]

bluemooze and Wes H like this.