Listenin' to Hip-Hop and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by acemachine26, Dec 30, 2017.

1. talkingh

talkingh Vibes Controller

shocked licensed to ill beat out pauls boutique
    come on

2. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

The old list screamed "ok boomer" but this new one just seems haphazard.

The inclusion of some terrible if not plain average albums is what is head scratching. I do think that Lauryn Hill album is the finest female solo hip hop album, but to have it at 10 not so much.

Now my personal gripe (since we all voiced ours :D ) no ATLiens but Speakerboxx/Love Below and Stankonia? My friends and I would always argue about ATLiens vs Aquemini.

ace any albums from the last 5 years you think should have made it?

PADYBU, acemachine26 and MikeManaic61 like this.
  3. acemachine26

acemachine26 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I'm just not a fan of Drake, Lil Wayne and some of the others. I'd rather see something by Danny Brown, Run the Jewels, Death Grips, Freddie Gibbs etc. I'd even place Tribe's final album WGIFHTYFYS above a lot of these albums but maybe these were more influential.

4. ghoulsurgery

ghoulsurgery House Ghost

Drake is utter trash IMO. I get that he sells a lot of records but I don’t think he’ll be remembered well at all. He’s all fluff. And boring as hell. It would’ve been so good to see Danny Brown on that list.

Bobby Buckshot and fatwad666 like this.
  5. MikeManaic61

MikeManaic61 Forum Resident

Is Drake even a rapper or is he a R&B artist? I never found him that amusing except some of his early mixtape material.

6. ghoulsurgery

ghoulsurgery House Ghost

I think, at the very least, he considers himself a rapper. His stuff is hip hop adjacent.

7. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

Yes agree with you on all of those. I think the dud list would be something that can be universally agreed upon.

I listened to all of The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill last night. I still don't know about this being number 10 but I do think this is a significant album in music history along with having tremendous spirituality, depth and meaning, certainly more so than some of that pop/children's music of the 60s or 70s that Rolling Stone has rated so highly. Being much older now a lot of that album makes a lot more sense and I am about the polar opposite demographic to what she is singing/rapping about and even I felt it. Back then I just viewed it as a really good album, but didn't pay much attention to what it was about. To me this album and Voodoo are defining albums of the late 90s regardless of genre.

I think To Pimp A Butterfly should be in the top 10. Not a personal favorite or anything, it's actually a pretty tough listen but another that is a genre defining album.

On my previous post on Speakerboxxx/The Love Below I wrote this one off when it came out. Maybe unfairly, much of it clicked more listening to it now, but I still feel it needs to be edited. Outkast albums aren't meant to be tight but it lacks the flow of their best albums. I think I also had this bias against it because it was plastered all over Tower and HMV when you entered their stores with those massive cutouts and that "brought to you from the group that released Stankonia".... uh how about ATLiens and Aquemini.

And if no one has seen this one of my favorite Key and Peele sketches :)

8. acemachine26

Love that Key & Peele sketch! Speaking of Outkast, I agree that ATLiens or even Southernplayalistic should be on there instead of Speakerboxxx. Also, more southern rap in general like UGK, Scarface, Three 6 Mafia, Goodie Mob etc.

hvbias, Bobby Buckshot and fatwad666 like this.
  9. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

Man, that list :doh:

All Eyez On Me is way too low. I don't see Big Pun or Bone Thugs either, worthy to be included. Weeknd isn't hip hop and Drake's record can't hold a candle to the ones it's sandwiched between and he definitely shouldn't have 2 up there. I'm a Beastie Boys fan but License to Ill shouldn't be on there. Rubin had them biting Run DMC on that record...all their later albums were more original.

hvbias, fatwad666 and acemachine26 like this.
  10. PADYBU

PADYBU Forum Resident

I think Lil Wayne Tha Carter II gets overrated and though Tha Carter III is better, it's still pretty bad compared to a lot of the leaks that should've made the album.

I'm a massive fan of Kendrick Lamar's earlier work; O.D., Section.80, G.K.M.C., I didn't like To Pimp A Butterfly but i'm not suprised it's so high on the list.

I agree with acemachine26 in regards to Tribe's WGIFHTYFYS, it's their best album since Midnight Marauders and i'd say on par with Beat's Rhymes & Life

I really like Drake's Take Care though it's wayy too high on the list but I am glad it's the only Drake album there...uhhh WHat?!! his IFRTITL not only made the list but it bested DONUTS? :wtf:

Last edited: Sep 27, 2020
    Bobby Buckshot and acemachine26 like this.
  11. acemachine26

Yeah adding the Weeknd album was my fault. I've not listened to his stuff and a few others so I wasn't sure if those albums had hip-hop on them.

Bobby Buckshot likes this.
  12. fatwad666

fatwad666 Forum Resident

A while ago I read a post on this forum (not this thread) suggesting that the two pre-remastered CD pressings of Public Enemy's It Takes A Nation Of Millions To Hold Us Back may share the same mastering. The pressings are the original 1988 Def Jam/Columbia and the 1995 re-press on Def Jam/Polygram. Generally I would've just assumed this to be true, but because there were also some slight artwork variations between the two pressings, I wanted to be sure. Out of curiosity I did a comparison, and aside from slight indexing differences, they do indeed share the same peak levels.

13. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

Agree on All Eyez On Me. I like Starboy and After Hours, I will have to listen to Beauty Behind the Madness. Given the two I have heard I have a very hard time believing he could lay down something that is greatest music of all time, those two are just fun albums with catchy tunes nothing really more. I like that you can tell its The Weeknd when he sings, he doesn't sound like every other autotuned R&B artist.

Some other albums that make no appearance that could have bumped others off (not just the weak hip hop albums but other albums in other genres) - Talib Kweli Quality, Phrenology, Fishscale, Lifestylez of Da Poor and Dangerous, Illadelph Halflife, Like Water For Chocolate, Dr Dre 2001, etc.

Oof didn't even see Daddy Yankee towards the bottom of the list, uh I guess he did bring back Snow from the dead :winkgrin:

14. PADYBU

PADYBU Forum Resident

Bobby Buckshot and ghoulsurgery like this.
  15. Bobby Buckshot

Lol, Snow is legit though. He had to ride that Vanilla Ice wave back in the day but he was infinitely more talented than Van Winkle (nothing against VI). But yeah, Daddy Yankee getting him back in the limelight is a worthy achievement.

16. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

Definitely no hate for Snow, didn't mean to come off like that! Will give 12 Inches a play sometime, there is an album I don't think I've listened to since the 90s.

It's formulaic music, but it's catchy, usually has a fairly driving beat and I like the synth/new wave fusion in the new album. A lot of this type of music I'd only listen to when driving or at the gym.

Even one of his fairly slow songs clearly has that same sort of flow that Twitter post describes

I guess a two word summary for all that I've written is "guilty pleasure". But I don't feel guilty about it :)

Last edited: Sep 27, 2020
    Ando II and Bobby Buckshot like this.
  17. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

18. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

RZA's Ghost Dog The Way of the Samurai is getting reissued by Get On Down on vinyl and CD. I've been listening to a bootleg download of it the entire time, back then I had no idea how to buy things from Japan but taking a look at Discogs it appears the original CD is not hard to come by. I might just have some friends see if they can find the original CD but figured I'd mention it if others were looking for this.

RomanBlade and Mateo Sanboval like this.
  19. Bobby Buckshot

Which one - this one by chance?

Or the more prevalent one here?: Various - Ghost Dog: The Way Of The Samurai - The Album

fatwad666 likes this.
  20. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

21. Bobby Buckshot

Mateo Sanboval and hvbias like this.
  22. Mateo Sanboval

Mateo Sanboval For me, the action is the juice.

A big "if" unfortunately. Most of the Get On Down pressings I have heard are not very good and the Discogs comments about them, especially the Wu Tang records, really back that up. It's a true shame because GOD has licensed the instrumental versions of some of the best of the first Wu wave of records and they just don't sound good at all.

hvbias and Bobby Buckshot like this.
  23. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

That is true, the reviews for Get On Down look pretty bad. That was one reason I said in my earlier post that I'm going to look for the original Japan CD.

The only thing I remember about that label was a really cool looking reissue of Illmatic a long time ago and some other interesting looking deluxe editions packaging wise. But I never bought any of them being quite content with the original CDs and all. If there was a bunch of interesting bonus music for my favorite albums I could maybe see buying one or two.

24. Mateo Sanboval

Mateo Sanboval For me, the action is the juice.

Yep. Instrumentals of ODB's Return, Only Built, and Liquid Swords have had me drooling in the past, but they just haven't lived up to the hype.

25. acemachine26

Really digging this live performance of RTJ4:

hvbias and ghoulsurgery like this.