Listenin' to Jazz and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Sep 1, 2016.

1. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Just noticed that Duke is inscribing the album "A Drum is a Woman". Can you make out the inscription? Let's get the FBI on it.

2. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I love this photo! I saw a print of it in a frame on a store wall. I asked how much, and the shop owner gave it to me at no charge!

I love the hat!

[​IMG]

3. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Duke Plays Basie

[​IMG]

4. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Some fun pictures of The Count

[​IMG]

When his wife gave Bill a SONY Walkman for Christmas, she realized she had made a big mistake

[​IMG]

With Annie Ross, after she imitated him with LH&R

[​IMG]

5 cents to the person who names the 5 gents

[​IMG]

5. StarThrower62

StarThrower62 Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Found a used copy for a few bucks in a local store yesterday.

peter1, Starwanderer and Robitjazz like this.
  6. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

Basie, Sinatra, Benny Goodman, Mel Powell....and Axel Stordahl.

bluemooze likes this.
  7. Yesternow

Yesternow Forum pResident

Don't need to look at all my CDs to know that I'm not a fan of solo albums. But this one doesn't sound like a solo work to me. To be honest I'm not even thinking if it's guitar or solo or jazz... Just enjoying the music. Spirit and mind are satisfied, no space to think about those "details".

One of my favorite ECM players:
    John Abercrombie. An album full of character
    [​IMG]
    Characters, ECM, 1978

8. A relative neophyte as far as jazz is concerned, I don’t post in here often but I greatly enjoy reading this thread. Listening to Art Tatum, Piano Starts Here, which I just picked up. This is my first exposure to Tatum.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 9, 2018
  9. Aura

Aura Forum Resident

Yesterday, I picked up a handful of Music Matters 33's missing from my collection. Listening to this gem right now:

Horace Parlan Quintet - Speakin' My Piece [​IMG]

I'm really digging Horace Parlan's piano on the first couple tracks.

MagicAlex, Erik B., bluemooze and 4 others like this.
  10. Sorcerer

Sorcerer Senior Member

[​IMG]
    Billy Harper Soul of an Angel

11. Moebius

Moebius Forum Resident

I'm not good at top lists nor an expert on the label, but here's a couple of my favorite ECM's (was listening to the Art Ensemble one earlier)

Art Ensemble of Chicago Full Force (1980)
    [​IMG]

Circle Paris-Concert (1972)
    [​IMG]

Keith Jarrett The Survivors' Suite (1977)
    [​IMG]

12. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

There was a time when you would tape a dime to a card and send it off (for three cents) to pay for whatever. But it would cost me nearly a dollar to send you your 5 cent prize.

So, every once in a while I will give you my two cents worth on one of your posts.

peter1 and vanhooserd like this.
  13. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

It's too bad this 8CD set is no longer $25, but I recommend the series often called The Pablo Solo Masterpieces (though they were recorded for Clef, then reissued on Verve.

[​IMG]

14. Sorcerer

Sorcerer Senior Member

Weren't the original CD releases of the Solo Masterpieces in false stereo? I only have the 24bit OJC remaster of Volume 1 from 2013 (Joe Tarantino) which is mono.

[​IMG]

15. Will have to check that out, thanks!

16. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Worthy of discussion

17. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

I do a lot of listening through my kitchen Sonos speaker these days so a while back I really took again to ripping my new CDs to my iTunes library so that I could then play them through the Sonos as opposed to what I used to do, which was always streaming stuff I didn’t own from Apple Music to the Sonos. I’ve ripped most of the Dial Modern Jazz set to iTunes and now I’m playing out the Dexter Gordon tracks while I’m cooking up Cod a la Dex, which is the Creole Fish recipe from the Claiborne cookbook I mentioned the other day.

Assorted Dexter Gordon from:

[​IMG]

18. eeglug

eeglug Senior Member

Got back from seeing John Zorn's many concert events at the Art Institute of Chicago. Apparently John Zorn has done all day concerts at other museums in NYC, LA & Paris. I did not stay for the whole thing. As the day wore on more & more people showed up and it was getting difficult to get into the galleries to see the performers. I had to stand in an adjacent gallery while John Zorn performed with Kenny Wollesen. And yet the performance immediately afterwards (Julian Lage & Gyan Riley) I got a decent spot. There was no seating to be had. You were urged/forced to sit uncomfortably on the floor or stand in the back.

Some pics. First Bill Frisell about to grab his Tele, harpist Carol Emanuel (seated at her harp) talking to John Zorn in red t shirt and Kenny Wollesen leaning over his vibrophone. Second is Frisell & Emanuel in the moment. Great performance.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. eeglug

eeglug Senior Member

The next performance I got close up for was a trio of Sae Hashimoto (vibes), Shanir Blumenkranz (bass), Ches Smith (drums). I had an extreme closeup spot sitting on the floor right under Hashimoto's vibes. Surprisingly the sound mix was great from this ridiculous position. At one point she dropped her sheet music on the guy next to me but she carried on. I looked up and she made eye contact with me and I just gave her a smile. This was one energetic perfomance this trio put on. The actual cd of the piece they played (called 'Naked Lunch') has Hashimoto with a different bassist and drummer. I need to check it out.

Here's my vantage point on the floor. Directly in front of me are the vibes and the legs of drummer Ches Smith, Sae Hashimoto and John Zorn with black sweatshirt and camouflage pants. Second pic is of the group: Smith, Blumenkranz, Hashimoto, Zorn. (Note that Zorn only played once with Kenny Wollesen; he only is around to make introductions and generally oversee things)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sordel, Rob C, jay.dee and 9 others like this.
  20. eeglug

eeglug Senior Member

My last pic is of Julian Lage & Gyan Riley playing unamplified in a room full of very quiet and attentive people, momentarily ignoring masterful Picasso pieces in their midst.

[​IMG]

I also attended a couple of violin/cello performances that were so good but I was way in the back for. And of course I missed the man of the hour playing with Kenny Wollesen (actually I was at a nearby gallery listening).

Last edited: Sep 9, 2018
    Sordel, Rob C, Erik B. and 10 others like this.
  21. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

Oh goodness, now I’m listening to Charlie Parker again and it feels about right. Despite being a part of a group of cats cited as being, at least partially, responsible for the popular decline of jazz I sure dig’em and can forgive’em.

22. Reid Smith

Reid Smith Forum Resident

23. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

The baby boom had more to do with the decline of jazz' popularity than the Beboppers ever did. It was hard to go to the jazz clubs or ballrooms when you were changing diapers or saving pennies for food. The explosion of television sales added to the problem.

Blue Note, vanhooserd and dzhason like this.
  24. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

You took that in a different direction than what I expected based on the opening sentence. :righton:

Electric likes this.
  25. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

Terry Pollard (from the Fresh Sounds compilation)

[​IMG]

bluemooze and Berthold like this.