Listenin' to Jazz and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Sep 1, 2016.

1. Beatnik_Daddyo'73

Beatnik_Daddyo'73 Music Addiction Personified

...hmmmmm???????? Questions, questions.....

Best Buy? Probably that old MCA CD pressing of A Love Supreme for $1.50.

Great Jazz Discovery this year? Gotta be Stan Getz! I’m loving more and more of what I hear. Favorite is still Stan Getz with Guest Laurindo Almeida.

Most plays this year?? That’s a hard question. It’s probably some Zappa album. Most likely the Complete Roxy Performances, which was my favorite release this year.

Concert?? No jazz shows this year. Depeche Mode at The Hollywood Bowl with the wifey was a good one.

2. Beatnik_Daddyo'73

Beatnik_Daddyo'73 Music Addiction Personified

...preordered the 3CD set coming out next month. Looking forward to that. :righton:

Jacline likes this.
  3. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

Me too.

Jacline and Beatnik_Daddyo'73 like this.
  4. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

These are tough questions!

Great new/old artist discover/re-discover - well, since I'm pretty new to jazz even older artists are a new discovery for me. This year I was able to make breakthroughs with Monk & Shorter which were great moments. Also "discovered" Ike Quebec & Booker Ervin, and they're now two of my favorite tenor players. For Quebec, he has that same sustaining note style of Webster & Coleman which reminds me so much of a violin. For Ervin, his style is unique and always interesting. He's become a must-buy artist for me at this point. For new artists I discovered Ken Vandermark whose music is a challenge for me at times, but his actual playing just demands attention. He's so prolific I'm pretty sure I'll never crack most of it.

Most plays of an album: Probably a 3-way tie between Quebec's Blue & Sentimental, Ervin's That's It & Monk's Genius of Modern Music

Stu02, Jacline, Moebius and 6 others like this.
  5. Mirror Image

Mirror Image Forum Resident

Miles Davis: The Complete Bitches Brew Sessions (Disc 3)

[​IMG]

bluemooze, Berthold, xybert and 5 others like this.
  6. Mirror Image

Woody Shaw: Woody III

[​IMG]

bluemooze and Jacline like this.
  7. Six String

Six String Senior Member

NP Anouar Brahem - Blue Maqams (ECM)

bluemooze, Marzz and Soulpope like this.
  8. scottpaul_iu

scottpaul_iu Forum Resident

Pat Metheny Group - Travels

[​IMG]

9. Starwanderer

Starwanderer Senior Member

Jochen Rückert - Charm Offensive

Mark Turner, tenor saxophone
    Mike Moreno, guitar
    Orlando Le Fleming, bass
    Jochen Rückert, drums

[​IMG]

bluemooze, Marzz, Jacline and 2 others like this.
  10. Six String

Six String Senior Member

What was your best buy? or

Hard to pick one but a discovery in soul/jazz was Delvon Lamarr Organ Trio's two releases Close But No Cigar and Live At KEXP!. The recent Resonance release of Dolphy material counts too. I had Iron Man but not Conversations so most of it was new to me and worth getting in line for 45 minutes to have a chance of acquiring it on vinyl.

What great new/old artist did you discover/rediscover ?
    Blue Mitchell became a focus for me this year. I had a few albums by him prior but I bought three or four of his albums this year and really enjoyed them.

Which album got more plays from you?
    Anouar Brahem's Blue Maqam got a lot of plays this year even though it was releasedin 2017. I didn't pick it up until early this year but I love that disc. Keith Jarret's Multitude Of Angels got a lot of spins too.

What was that great concert that you were fortunate to attend?
    Seeing Mary Halvorson with Tumbscrew in a very intimate (maybe 20 people) setting. Sublime.

Anything that you find relevant in your 2018 "Jazz" life.

xybert, Jacline, blutiga and 3 others like this.
  11. Atomic Punk

Atomic Punk Forum Resident

I dig this....:agree:

Six String likes this.
  12. Erik Tracy

Erik Tracy Meet me at the Green Dragon for an ale

I don't mean to sound like I'm shilling - but if you want to hear some really cool stories, insights, behind the scenes recollections, then tune into the end of year fundraiser broadcasts on jazz88
    https://www.jazz88.org/Listen.asp

Ken Poston is a walking archive of jazz history; some really cool commentary in-between the jazz being played.

Xelfo and Marzz like this.
  13. Ben Toby

Ben Toby Forum Resident

Hello all! I'm on page 153 of this thread hoping I can catch up and get current but savoring the suggestions along the way.

What was your best buy? I'm mostly streaming these days, Roon/Tidal at home and Spotify in the car. I did buy a turntable this year (my big purchase for 2018) and have bought a few albums. I really enjoyed this one:

[​IMG]

What great new/old artist did you discover/rediscover? So many to choose from, but here are a few that I've had on frequent rotation recently:
    Abdullah Ibrahim, Cape Town Revisited, especially "Water From An Ancient Well" (heavenly tune)
    Ahmad Jamal, Marseille, especially "Autumn Leaves"
    Anouar Brahem, Blue Maqams and Le Voyage de Sahar
    Red Garland, Red Garland's Piano
    Wolfert Brederode Trio, Black Ice

Which album got more plays from you? The new-to-me titles above split time with old faves:
    Ben Webster, At the Renaissance
    Ben Webster Meets Oscar Peterson
    Charlie Haden & Hank Jones, Come Sunday
    Charlie Haden & Kenny Barron, Night and the City
    Herbie Hancock, Maiden Voyage

What was that great concert that you were fortunate to attend? Kind of a homebody year. Maybe 2019

Anything that you find relevant in your 2018 "Jazz" life. This thread, for sure. Love it.

bluemooze, Berthold, Stu02 and 10 others like this.
  14. Mirror Image

15. Mirror Image

Kenny Wheeler: Gnu High

[​IMG]

16. Six String

Six String Senior Member

WP Walt Dickerson - Unity (Audio Fidelity) (This is an old label not the one SH was involved in this century)

NP David Murray - Ballads For Bass Clarinet (DIW)
    W/John Hicks, Ray Drummond and Idris Muhammad.
    I had some serious desire for this title once I was made aware of it and I hoped to run across a copy at a local B&M but after waiting a few years I realized the futility and found a copy on line. It didn't let me down.

17. Mirror Image

bluemooze and Jacline like this.
  18. Mirror Image

Woody Shaw: Night Music

[​IMG]

19. Mirror Image

I’ve definitely got to give my MFSL hybrid SACD of this album a listen tonight at some point. Exemplary playing from Miles and the band just sounds so damn good.

SJR likes this.
  20. Jacline

Jacline Forum Resident

Welcome to this thread, Ben! Excellent selection of music. Do stick around, please! :agree:

Mirror Image likes this.
  21. Jacline

Jacline Forum Resident

@Tribute, about Paul Robeson: I respect everything about him, I love his music, it was a stroke of genius on Sidney Lumet's part to use his songs in the Daniel movie (1983) (check it out, people, if you can--a slice of History), but man... That was a lot of pictures earlier!

22. Jacline

Jacline Forum Resident

Thank you, guys, for sharing with all of us your favourite music of 2018! I'm feverishly taking notes! :) (I really am copying suggestions down on one of my phone apps. Hello, I'm Jacline, and I'm a music addict...)

23. Jacline

Jacline Forum Resident

Great stuff, AP. :edthumbs:

24. Jacline

Jacline Forum Resident

You saw Mary Halvorson live this year, Six? Wonderful! :thumbsup:

Six String likes this.
  25. xybert

xybert Forum Resident

Art Ensemble of Chicago - Nice Guys

[​IMG]