Listenin' to Jazz and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Sep 1, 2016.

1. Jacline

Jacline Forum Resident

:p So, in 2023, Mook, we can ask you: "Oh yeah, BTW, what was your best music buy in 2018?" ;)

bluejimbop and Mook like this.
  2. Jazzicalit

Jazzicalit In the Tradition

What was your best buy? John Coltrane - Both Directions At Once (double Lp Deluxe MONO)

What great new/old artist did you discover/rediscover ? Astrud Gilberto, and I have rediscovered all the Bossa Nova recordings by Stan Getz. I didn't remember well how wonderful they are :)

Last edited: Dec 10, 2018
  3. Jacline

Jacline Forum Resident

Now I need some cooking prep time music (again), and I won't pick jazz; nor the Grateful Dead; Dylan is useless in a kitchen; and forget about Zappa:

[​IMG]

My man Burt. (Without enough Dionne, but it's OK for now).

Burt Bacharach, The Look of Love (compilation; from the 1950s to the end of the 1990s; released in 1998).

4. Jacline

Jacline Forum Resident

I have this somewhere on MP3s, I know I do, xybert... I'll find it and give it a listen, for sure.

xybert likes this.
  5. Jacline

Jacline Forum Resident

There's some sort of Stan Getz renaissance on the thread. :) It's subtle, but it's there. Thanks for your input, Jazzicalit. :thumbsup:

Beatnik_Daddyo'73 and Erik B. like this.
  6. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

There was a lot to the story. Many people are unaware of the intensity of Robeson's story and the dirty tricks that officials took against him. If a venue sponsored a concert (this is after 1947), their mortgages were called in, or their insurance policies were canceled. So, many concerts were held outdoors. Connecticut passed a law forbidding him to enter the state, where his home was (overturned in court). But to me, the capper was when the New York State Governor Dewey, who had almost become President a year earlier, ordered the state police to stand by when the concert attendees were beaten and their cars were stoned. I don't believe anyone was charged. Robeson did not have guards at his first attempt to give a concert in Peekskill, so it could not proceed. But a large group of Army Veterans volunteered to act as guards and the concert was held soon after.

His wife Eslanda was a very powerful person who had earned a PhD.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

peter1, bluemooze and vanhooserd like this.
  7. Jacline

Jacline Forum Resident

A lot of what you mention is new to me, Xelfo. I'm writing stuff down right now... :)

Xelfo likes this.
  8. Jacline

Jacline Forum Resident

As I said: Stan Getz is almost taking over the thread! ;) Thanks for your input, Daddy-o. But are you a Jet all the way? (Sorry, useless West Side Story reference ;))

Beatnik_Daddyo'73 likes this.
  9. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I suggest a policy of buying every used Stan Getz CD that you come across. After a while, you will have a nice collection.

10. Mook

Mook Forum Resident

Good point, I'll make a list on 31st December.

Jacline likes this.
  11. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I side with The Sharks (at least those on the Lower East Side)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 10, 2018
    Jacline likes this.
  12. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Back to Duke

[​IMG]

13. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

and another

[​IMG]

14. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Speaking of Getz.

Why couldn't we have been around for these all star shows?

Unbelievable! Duke, Bird and Billie and more!

[​IMG]

15. Mirror Image

Mirror Image Forum Resident

After a fine dinner, time to carry on with more music...

Miles Davis: My Funny Valentine (MFSL hybrid SACD)

[​IMG]

16. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

Dammit Jacline this is becoming a problem. I love Burt too. With all my heart. I remember when this box set came out. It was a fanrasy come true. Best versions of his and Davids music all in one set. Seriously we need to stop sharing passions like this. My wife will start to complain

Jacline likes this.
  17. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

I recently picked up Sweet Rain a late 60s verve release which I did not know of. Wonderful post bossa phase stuff. Getz that is

18. Mirror Image

Getz’s Sweet Rain is one of my favorites from him. All of the musicians play beautifully, but a special mention should go to Chick Corea who does an outstanding job.

19. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

I followed that policy & recently got this wonderful 2-CD set: 'People Time', duets with the great Kenny Barron.[​IMG] Recorded 3/3-6/91, Café Montmartre, Copenhagen. Producer: Jean-Philippe Allard. Engineer: Johnnie Hjerting. Mastered at A & M Studios, Hollywood by Dave Collins.

xybert, bluemooze, Six String and 6 others like this.
  20. A few of the Alan Yoshida-mastered XRCDs of old Blue Notes for $20 each from Elusive Disc.

Jackie McLean. I'd heard of him of course, but never really heard him until this year. He was damned good.

Probably In A Silent Way, or Full House by Wes Montgomery.

Doesn't apply. Not much live jazz going on in my part of Upstate NY.

21. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

Best concert Josh Redman touring the Still Dreaming lp

Best buy. Close to a first press of Coltrane’s Expression for 20 bucks CAD in vg +++ shape
    Or a first press of Waldrons soundtrack Sweet Love Bitter also near mint for 20 bucks CAD

Best find sort of...
    Ornette Coleman who Ive known and liked to a degree for quite a while but this year I fell head over heals in love with. Yup I jumped the shark.

Best surprise is how great Dave Holland/ Evan Parkers new album Unchartered Territory’s is. Someone here but me onto this and I love the varied formats of duos or quartets etc interspersed over 3 lps. These guys are still on top of their game. Endlessly passionate and challenging which is a good pairing of qualities

22. Mirror Image

Gil Evans Orchestra: Out of the Cool (Impulse! Remaster)

[​IMG]

23. rockinlazys

rockinlazys Forum Resident

Johnny Hodges And All The Dukes Men: VSP Verve, 1961 & 3 cuts from 1958 w/ smaller band.

Johnny Hodges- alto/ Billy Strayhorn- arranger & conductor

Trumpets- Shorty Baker, Cat Anderson, Bill Berry, Ed Mullens, Howard McGhee

Trombones- Lawrence Brown, Quentin Jackson, Chuck Connors

Reeds- Russell Procope, Paul Gonsalves, Jimmy Hamilton, Harry Carney

Piano- Jimmy Jones

Bass- Aaron Bell

Drums- Sam Woodyard

24. Mirror Image

Charles Lloyd: Fish Out Of Water

[​IMG]

25. Fender Relic

Fender Relic Forum Resident

I passed up a Sweet Rain vinyl copy last week thinking I already had one. Turns out I had 2 Focus copies instead with different covers.:doh:

Yesternow, Stu02 and Erik B. like this.