Listenin' to Jazz and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Sep 1, 2016.

1. Berthold

Berthold "When you swing....swing some more!" -- Th. Monk

Best buy in 2018:

Teddy Wilson: The Brunswick & Columbia Sessions

[​IMG]

and

The Savory Collection

[​IMG]

bluemooze, Stu02, Jacline and 2 others like this.
  2. Mirror Image

Mirror Image Forum Resident

Miles Davis: Miles Ahead

From this box set:

[​IMG]

3. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Though Stan Getz was an incredible talent from the very first time he recorded as a teenager, I think his style really came together in the early 1950's, when he was recording for Roost, then Norman Granz (Clef/Verve). Personally, I prefer those recordings where most of the attention is on Stan, and not drawn by another horn. Those albums he did with a guitar (Jimmy Raney, often) are excellent. The late 40's recordings reissued by Prestige are not quite as strong.

Though Stan became perhaps the wealthiest jazz musician of all time, the arc of his life was very hard. Those difficulties never seemed to diminish his music.

4. vinylsolution

vinylsolution Forum Resident

Jazzmen Detroit, Discogs link here.
    Mine is the reissue WLP, here.

Mook likes this.
  5. Fender Relic

Fender Relic Forum Resident

Here are 2 Stan Getz LP's I found out in the wilds of Central PA. One was at an Amish super store out in the country....:shrug:. I asked if there were any old records and they went and got a young lady with a key. She opened a side door and there sat thousands of LP's. I was busy til the sun was going down and I couldn't see no more at closing time. I went back a short time later and no store...o_O I guess the land had sold to another family and the store was replaced by horse barns. Anyway, this was in the super store.

[​IMG]

...and a year later found this one at a friends about 20 miles from where I found West Coast Jazz. He buys estates and hit a nice Jazz collector bingo. I got hundreds from him including a few OG Art Blakey Blue Notes and some 10 inch NOLA early Jazz. We're talking the sticks folks...Jazz must be everywhere :)

[​IMG]

peter1, bluemooze, timzigs and 9 others like this.
  6. ATR

ATR Senior Member

In fact Neil Young was at the top of the bill at the Fillmore that night and his performance was recorded too. As to the recording quality yes, it was the first time Columbia tried recording Miles Davis with amplified instruments I think and the tape is seriously overloaded and distorted.

Crispy Rob, Dahabenzapple and Erik B. like this.
  7. Six String

Six String Senior Member

NP Oscar Peterson Trio - Night Train (Verve) 1st press

One of the few lps I own by O.P. besides the Exclusively For My Friends set. I picked this up at a garage sale in my father-in-law's neighborhood about twenty years ago. The guy wanted $2 for it. It was in nm condition so I didn't counter the offer.

8. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Freddy Redd Trio - San Francisco Suite (Riverside) Lt. Ed. OJC pressed on premium vinyl

The suite has titles representing places in SF like View of the Golden Gate Bridge from Sausalito, Grant Street (China Town) and Cousin Jimbo's Between 3 and 7 a.m. The last one probably refers to Jimbo's Bop City which was an after hours jazz club where many of the visiting musicians would go to play after their own gigs. My old drum instructor used to play there too and had great stories about his experiences. :cool:

bluemooze, Soulpope, Berthold and 5 others like this.
  9. Mugrug12

Mugrug12 The Jungle Is a Skyscraper

Does anyone here watch the. Show "Mrs Maisel"? It's a really smart period piece about a woman trying to do stand up in the early 60s. Lots of jazz playing in the show. One episode she does a bit to introduce the band at the village vanguard. Looks like they shot it in the club or its the best set ever. Lenny Bruce is a recurring character. I highly recommend the show!

10. Beatnik_Daddyo'73

Beatnik_Daddyo'73 Music Addiction Personified

Archie Shepp ‎– Kwanza

[​IMG]
    Label:
    Impulse! ‎– B0007404-02
    Format:
    CD, Album, Reissue, Remastered
    US
    Released:
    Genre:
    Jazz

Recorded September 1968 and February and August 1969 in New York City.

11. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Np Thelonious Monk - Monk's Music (Riverside) DG Blue mono label

One of my favorites by the master.

12. Mister President

Mister President Forum Resident

Happy 80th birthday big man Mccoy...spinning this tonight! Really getting into this period.

[​IMG]

13. frightwigwam

frightwigwam Talented Amateur

Sometimes, of course, that's exactly what suits the music. Like, the band was so off the chain, dude, the equipment literally couldn't handle it! Love it.

14. Marzz

Marzz Forum Resident

@Beatnik_Daddyo'73,
    Second for the Roost recordings - Getz at his finest :thumbsup: Also the later 1950s Verve recordings are excellent. "West Coast Jazz" (though Getz is not typical "west coast"), "Award Winner"(1956) and especially "The Steamer" (1957).
    Even better, the CD versions are cheap!! (also recently released in Japan on SHM-CD if you desire).

The Stan Getz Quartet* - The Steamer
    Stan Getz - Award Winner

Last edited: Dec 11, 2018
  15. frightwigwam

frightwigwam Talented Amateur

Best buy (bargain) - Bill Evans/ The Sesjun Sessions for $2

Best buy (treasure) - Miles Davis/ Bitches Brew Quad SACD in the 7" LP replica packaging

Best new/most played release - Tenderlonious/ The Shakedown; I played that a lot, particularly last summer

Best archival - Bobbie Gentry/ The Girl from Chickasaw County, Bob Dylan/ More Blood, More Tracks

Discovery - Joao Gilberto's first 3 albums, Charles Lloyd Quartet's '60s recordings, and Lee Konitz/ Motion; somehow I'd never got around to Gilberto's early albums done under his own name in Brazil, fool was I. They're just stunning. You can actually hear a whole new world being created, fully formed, and how often do you get the chance to do that? I don't know why I'd slept on those Lloyd albums, either--I've been a Jarrett/DeJohnette fan for a long time--but I finally stumbled backwards into them and really enjoyed it more than I'd expected, particularly Dream Weaver, Forest Flower, In Europe, and The Flowering.... I'd been more consciously avoiding Konitz; I guess the things I've read tend to make him seem too cool and cerebral to pique my interest, but I think someone here recently mentioned Motion (my fingers keep typing "Motian") and I thought, why not look it up? As it turns out, it is cool, possibly even cerebral, but I love it. One of my most frequently played albums in recent weeks. Thanks for that!

16. Jacline

Jacline Forum Resident

OK, now, I'm just wondering: did anyone else have to look up the adjective "chthonic," or is it just me?
    Also, "Steve Miller fans"? Isn't that quite a judgemental put down, Octave?
    (I'm bubbling with questions this afternoon :))

17. Jacline

Jacline Forum Resident

Un affreux groupe de musique des années 50, bluejim.

bluemooze likes this.
  18. Jacline

Jacline Forum Resident

Astigmatic is unbelievable. It's been on regular rotation in this house for a few years now.
    :righton:

Mirror Image likes this.
  19. Jacline

Jacline Forum Resident

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Mugrug12 likes this.
  20. Mugrug12

Mugrug12 The Jungle Is a Skyscraper

It wasn't an autocorrect mistake? ;)

21. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

As I recall, "chthonic" is used to describe those ethereal harmonic overtones that a saxophone reed can produce, particularly when circular breathing techniques are used. The word borrows letters from circular, harmonic, ethereal, and overtones to modify the root word "tonic"

Saxophonists such as Pharoah Sanders, Albert Ayler, Rahsaan Roland Kirk, George Adams and others have achieved chthonic sounds with their horn. Many were inspired by Coltrane, who was still in search of chthonic perfection and unity when he died

Many people simply wonder, "How does he do that?"

It takes practice as any sax master will tell you.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

22. Jacline

Jacline Forum Resident

Pardon my French (or my Greek), but that's total B.S., Tribute. :agree:

Anyway...

It's that time of the day again: what is this poor cook going to listen to while... Cookin'?

Take it over, Miles!

[​IMG]

23. OldJohnRobertson

OldJohnRobertson Martyr for Even Less

I bought this today. For me, this is a seminal Blue Note album. The lineup, the musicianship...the stars just aligned perfectly on this recording.

Additionally, I love when I'm able to buy rare-as-hens-teeth records with nothing but records from my dupe pile. My local shop has had this one on the wall for at least a year...another piece from the A.L. Johnson collection. Legend has it he was a jazz professor at Temple University and this shop bought his collection last year. I own probably 20 pieces from this guy's collection at this point, including some rare and valuable stuff. They had $100 on it and so far the price has been firm so they've just been sitting on it. I almost bought it a few times, but each time I stopped short because that's a ton of money to drop on one record. Today, though, I had a good-size dupe pile that I brought in and they were interested in quite a few of the albums in it. He offered me $90 for the records I brought in, so I negotiated an even swap for this album.

This is a first pressing and has the right cover (non-laminated and a blank spine). The jacket is high VG except for the fact that Mr. A.L. Johnson saw fit to stamp his name and address 5 times on the back cover...something he did on all his records, thus how I know they're from his collection. The vinyl itself is damn near flawless and dead quiet. I'd rate it very high VG+. Even if I'd paid cash for this, $100 is a steal in the current market considering the condition. This would sell for $175-$200 easy on Discogs or eBay any day of the week.

The Jazz Messengers - At the Cafe Bohemia: Volume 1
    1958, Blue Note Records - Mono, Plastylite ear, RVG hand-etched, 767 Lexington label

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

xybert, bluemooze, timzigs and 18 others like this.
  24. Jacline

Jacline Forum Resident

I strongly suggest this, Daddy-o:

[​IMG]

Stan Getz and J.J. Johnson at the Opera House (1957).

25. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

More for Tony and Brad and his trio than Diana though she does just fine.

[​IMG]

My Dad and uncle like it. My wife tolerates it.

Beautiful recording.

bluemooze, tug_of_war and jazz_case like this.