Listenin' to Jazz and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Sep 1, 2016.

1. Jacline

Jacline Forum Resident

Uninteresting fact: the venue at which Charlie Parker played up here in 1953 is now a "Lovely Nude Dancing Women-Erotic Booths-Private Lounge" place. :sigh:
    We have a lot of those. As many as we have churches.

Berthold likes this.
  2. Jacline

Jacline Forum Resident

Oh, shoot! I promised @Mirror Image I would give this album a listen! :oops: Thanks for the reminder, Berthold.

Berthold, Mirror Image and Mook like this.
  3. Fender Relic

Fender Relic Forum Resident

:yikes:

I better leave my 7 sets at home :eek:

4. Jacline

Jacline Forum Resident

Now playing: Ryan Kisor, The Usual Suspects (1998).

[​IMG]

I enjoy his post-bop trumpet jazz a lot.

bluemooze likes this.
  5. Mugrug12

Mugrug12 The Jungle Is a Skyscraper

Oh weird, even after you bolded I still didn't see the typo when I read it until now! Good gracious!

6. Moebius

Moebius Forum Resident

Am I right in thinking the original building burnt down?

After a detour with Mussorgsky, I'm back chilling with Lester Bowie (Avant Pop).

7. Jacline

Jacline Forum Resident

Oh no, not a big thing at all, my friend. It's just that, as a French speaker with English as a second language, I get kind of paranoid and I want to make sure I understand everything. And that "a set up" versus "a step up" thing got me wondering for a couple of minutes.

... And now I believe I just won the

MOST BORING AND IRRELEVANT POST OF THE YEAR IN A JAZZ THREAD

award.

Yeah, me! :D Just in time, too!

8. Jacline

Jacline Forum Resident

Mafiosi trashed the place in the early 60s for some retaliation reason, but the building was not burnt down IIRC.

9. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

Just got the email from Music Direct that the Miles Smiles SACD is now shipping.

10. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

Ken Vandermark Territory Band 5: A New Horse for the White House

Discs 1 & 2 are studio recordings of the four KV compositions

Disc 3 are those four pieces performed live

Studio recordings 10/18 & 10/19/2005

Live recordings 19/15/2005

On Okkadisk Records

Brass:

Johannes Bauer: trombone
    Axel Doerner: trumpet
    Per-Ake Holmlander: tuba

Electronics: Lars Marhaug

Percussion: Paal Nilsson-Love & Paul Lytton

Piano: Jim Baker

Strings:

Kent Kessler: double bass
    Fred Lonberg-Holm: cello

Reeds:

Fredrik Lundquist: tenor sax & clarinet
    Dave Rempis: alto & tenor sax
    Ken Vandermark: baritone sax & clarinets

bluemooze, jay.dee, hyde park and 2 others like this.
  11. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

Yeah well I caved... could not wait for the less expensive cd set .....
    First play through as i have place to myself...
    [​IMG]
    I am not familiar with either conversations or Iron Man except for the Woody Shaw pieces on his late 70s lp Iron Man which i have and love.

This here is an overwhelming triple lp. So much going on i cant really give a detailed commtary yet just first impressions:

Eric Dolphy Musical Prophet Resonance RSD vinyl release:

- the entire set really works well as a full unified triple record. I have to think those of you who only know them seperately as 2 albums must have felt it was all of a piece and if this is how you originally experienced them do speak up as I am curious.
    - the outakes highlight the solo and duo (sax/ arco bass)songs. This for me is really a strength. I love these minimalist songs and doubling 2 out takes of Love Me with an outake of Alone Together makes for a powerful really raw and yet cerebral nakid side E.
    -the sound is great ( though i think could have been better if released as a 4 lp set ) in a you are in the studio session ( though you need to really turn it up) and this intimacy really helps highlight the raw nature of the larger ensemble pieces. Its all engaging. In your face . Relentless and startling in the most enjoyable way imaginable. Dolphy fans will not be disappointed. Primal.
    - the synergy between the band members is wondrous given how little they had played these pieces together and how Dolphy gave almost no direction.

12. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

.... and after that intense musical intercourse
    The proverbial cigarette afterwards...
    [​IMG]
    MJQ with Jimmy Giuffre at Music Inn

13. Mirror Image

Mirror Image Forum Resident

YES!!!! I’m totally all over that!

14. Mirror Image

Yes! I’d love to know what you think of it, Jacline.

Jacline likes this.
  15. Mirror Image

Miles Davis: The Complete Live at the Plugged Nickel, 1965 (Disc 1 - Dec. 22nd 1st set)

[​IMG]

I have to say I’m definitely not impressed with the fidelity of this set in general. It’s just so dry and the people in the audience are f****** rude as hell. This set is a collector’s item for sure, but I have to say that there’s better live Miles out there.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2018
  16. jazz_case

jazz_case Forum Resident

R.I.P. Nancy Wilson

[​IMG]

bluemooze, Marzz, Robitjazz and 3 others like this.
  17. Tom H

Tom H Forum Resident

[​IMG]

McCoy Tyner is my favorite jazz pianist. His post-Coltrane work is among my favorite jazz of all-time. Powerful, searching, expansive.

18. frightwigwam

frightwigwam Talented Amateur

Miles isn't at his best, but the band is amazing. Possibly Wayne Shorter's finest moment.

Some interesting background in this NPR report here: Live at the Plugged Nickel

19. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

In the late 70s I lived with some guys that were trying to get a band together. They had a Farfisa organ & for some reason bought a ring modulator. It was of little use, as the sounds were too hard to integrate with the music they were trying to play. On the other hand, running the organ through a fuzz box was groovy.

frightwigwam likes this.
  20. Mirror Image

Yusef Lateef: Eastern Sounds (RVG remaster)

[​IMG]

bluemooze, xybert, Marzz and 6 others like this.
  21. Mirror Image

Agreed on Shorter, Hancock, Carter, and Williams. Miles has some good ideas, but his playing isn’t up to snuff here unfortunately. I’ll have to revisit some of this set later on this weekend as I certainly hear the high caliber playing from the band and I just finished listening to that link you provided. Very interesting, so thanks for that link! It gave me a different perspective on these recordings now. This set really is the fingerprints of what would become that ‘Second Great Quintet’ sound that so many of us know and love.

frightwigwam likes this.
  22. Mugrug12

Mugrug12 The Jungle Is a Skyscraper

I think it's seminal music but the audio is not good and Miles can't play on this. I skip over his solos a lot when I play this. :hide:
    Miles had surgery on his lip and wasn't ready to play again yet. That said if I could only have one box set it would be this one. Cool because it's their modern approach but all applied to standards. And yes that one heckler is super annoying!

Jacline, Mirror Image and Octave like this.
  23. Octave

Octave Shake Appeal

Re: COMPLETE LIVE AT PLUGGED NICKEL 1965:
    Thanks for the link to that NPR story. The notion that Williams' challenge to the band led to the prickly nature of the music (and a restive audience) is interesting. I listened to that set a couple months ago, for the first time in many years, and I share your impression.
    I think the first time I heard those recordings was the first time I really got excited by Shorter's playing and wondered how I'd been missing it. His tone had been offputting to me before, but the sheer amount of invention those PLUGGED NICKEL solos!
    I've just begun an article by the musicologist Robert Walser that takes up the question of the alleged inconsistency or shortcomings of Miles' playing (throughout his life) and I wonder if it will be a persuasive apologia for this as a dimension of his playing. For me, Miles' playing on those dates still does that...makes me itch. He sometimes sounds unwell. Is it a rhetorical strategy?*

* Edit: ...and/or lip surgery...

Jacline and frightwigwam like this.
  24. Octave

Octave Shake Appeal

Just listening to the aforementioned DARK MAGUS. Sometimes the dreaded wah-trumpet actually becomes a feature, when it sounds most like something really abstract, a kind of animal howl. I'm going to try to listen to his endless trilling that way for the next few records.
    I live under a rock, so it's only now I'm reading about Pete Cosey dying last spring.

Also Weather Report's SWEETNIGHTER, which I kind of liked, even if it's been shorn of the edges and tensions that made the first two albums more interesting to me. I am afraid I am going to like them less and less from here on.

bluemooze, jay.dee and Yesternow like this.
  25. Mirror Image

I’m a bit different with my personal choice of a Miles box set. If I could have only one box set from Miles, it would be Seven Steps: The Complete Columbia Recordings, 1963-1964. That string of concerts, especially My Funny Valentine/‘Four’ & More is some of my favorite Miles on record. Agree with you about Miles on the Plugged Nickel concerts. He should have gotten his chops back up (and, more importantly, his lips in top shape) before going out to play live again.

Jacline and Mugrug12 like this.