Listenin' to Jazz and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Sep 1, 2016.

1. Mirror Image

Mirror Image Forum Resident

Oh well, we all can’t like the same things. Kirk was a talented musician, but I’ve just never really appreciated him on the same level as you and others have.

Sneaky Pete likes this.
  2. Sneaky Pete

Sneaky Pete Flat the 5 and That’s No Jive

True that’s what keeps things interesting. I started to play sax myself as an adult and I think it changed my ideas about things drastically. I’m less harsh as a critic and more appreciative of good, solid, expressive musicianship.

I used to think Rahsaan was kind of a gimmicky guy with all the horns etc. He was a little schticky at times, but it got people’s attention. Behind it was a great woodwinds player. :)

3. Mirror Image

I certainly enjoyed The Inflated Tear more this time around than in the past. Of course, I never disputed his musicianship, so there’s no reason to argue that point with me as I’m quite aware of what he was doing and how well he did it. It’s just that his ideas don’t always register with me as being very good. One of my biggest problems with his music, outside of his own playing, was how I believed he hogged the spotlight and didn’t let his band have many opportunities to improvise and when they did, it seemed like they weren’t able to fully flesh out their ideas because he was just so ready to jump in or, worse, cut them off completely. A part of being a good musician, and leader in Kirk’s case, is knowing when to take a backseat and let the musicians you choose to play in your band take the music in a direction that you, otherwise, wouldn’t have thought about it going in. With Kirk, the music has always felt one-sided to me, which I suppose is another reason as to why I don’t enjoy his music that much.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2018
    Sneaky Pete likes this.
  4. Sneaky Pete

Sneaky Pete Flat the 5 and That’s No Jive

I think this was one of his biggest weaknesses.

I didn’t mean to argue the point. Just to explain myself, as in having a conversation. Social Media is an imperfect communication tool.:wave:

Mirror Image likes this.
  5. Mirror Image

No problem, Sneaky Pete. Enjoy the music. :cool:

Sneaky Pete likes this.
  6. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

All this talk of RRK made me pull out one of my very favorites:

[​IMG]
    "Natural Black Inventions: Root Strata." Warner Japan 24 bit cd.

Kirk is a musician I'll never tire of. One of the few real geniuses. Very few had such a broad yet detailed knowledge of African-American music and contributed so much. What a man.

7. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

No. I think 'Timeless' was his first. Gateway is actually the name of the trio with Holland & DeJohnette. Most of the compositions on the album are by Holland. They made several other albums over the years since.

8. Mirror Image

Miles Davis: ’Round About Midnight (MFSL hybrid SACD)

[​IMG]

9. Mirror Image

bluemooze and Starwanderer like this.
  10. Lonson

Gabe Walters and Mirror Image like this.
  11. Mirror Image

Same here. So far, I have nothing negative to say about any of MFSL’s Miles releases yet. The only ones I haven’t head are On the Corner and Miles in the Sky. Hope to rectify this tomorrow.

12. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

I share your mystery

Jacline likes this.
  13. GregM

GregM The expanding man

14. Mirror Image

Miles Davis: ’Four’ & More (MFSL hybrid SACD)

[​IMG]

Throw some water on Miles, George, Herbie, Ron, and Tony. They’re on fire!

15. jerico

jerico Forum Resident

Live-Evil and Tribute to Jack Johnson and On the Corner - just a fantastic stretch of music.

Jacline and Mirror Image like this.
  16. frightwigwam

frightwigwam Talented Amateur

I particularly like his '60s work, too. Rip, Rig & Panic; Now Please Don't You Cry, Beautiful Edit; We Free Kings; The Inflated Tear; I Talk with the Spirits, a great flute album. A Meeting of the Times with Al Hibbler is fun, but otherwise I've had trouble really getting into his '70s records. I haven't heard 'em all, though, so there's still hope for me.

Gabe Walters, Sneaky Pete and Jacline like this.
  17. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

18. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

Kai Winding’s New Jazz Group/Krazy Kat’s - 12/14/1945 Session (from Mosaic’s Savoy Bebop Sessions)

Shorty Rogers - trumpet; Kai Winding - trombone; Stan Getz - tenor sax; Shorty Allen - piano; Iggy Shevack - bass; Shelly Manne - drums

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. Jacline

Jacline Forum Resident

Out of laziness :sigh:, I grabbed this box a few years ago and I am perfectly content with the music on the albums that are included. I think they "represent" very well. At this point, I don't think I'll seek (or need) more Rahsaan. Though I've been dead wrong before about music matters like this.
    :magoo:

[​IMG]

From a review on Rate Your Music describing what the set includes:

"Great collection

Contains Rahsaan's Mercury output from 1961-1965:
    • We Free Kings
    • Domino
    • Reeds and Deeds
    • Rip, Rig and Panic
    • I Talk With the Spirits
    • Slightly Latin
    • Copenhagen Concert (upped to 2 full CDs from the 1963 vinyl release)
    plus singles, alternate takes, a performance at the Newport Jazz festival, and some Quincy Jones dates that only feature Kirk as a sideman"​

Last edited: Dec 17, 2018
  20. Mirror Image

Indeed. I’ve heard all of the material from this period before, but it’s really been a long time since I’ve listened to any of the more off-the-beaten-track recordings like Live-Evil, Dark Magus, Agharta, and the compilations like Big Fun and Get Up With It, etc.

jerico likes this.
  21. Electric

Electric The Medium is the Massage

I used to have that but no matter what I played it on the recording sounded bright. Was one of the first SACDs I bought.

22. vinylsolution

vinylsolution Forum Resident

Nice set here, Hard Driving Jazz, also released under the title "Stereo Drive", but since mine is a mono pressing... Later reissued as "Coltrane Time", an early example of the cash grab. The original has some guy named "Blue Train" on tenor, guess he found himself contractually a few years later.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

23. GregM

GregM The expanding man

It is a bit trebly, and the bass and midrange are perhaps too recessed. Whether this is a feature of the SACD or the original recording, I can't say but it doesn't get in the way of my enjoyment.

Electric likes this.
  24. Berthold

Berthold "When you swing....swing some more!" -- Th. Monk

Thanks @Jacline, that´s what I feel!

Jacline likes this.
  25. Lonson

Fantastic music and fantastic players, and this used to be where I "lived" with RRK. But when Dorn got his hands on him at Atlantic and encouraged him to be fully himself artistically (which with Kirk meant with his whole being) the music and the presentation really changed, and I really LOVE that transformation. I can't be without the music after the Mercury/Limelight years.

Jacline, jay.dee and oldjollymon like this.