Listenin' to Jazz and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Sep 1, 2016.

1. Dapper Zoom

Dapper Zoom 私以外私じゃないの

That used to be my favorite album by Billy the Frizz, and maybe it still is. Great road trip music when driving through the desert or the mountains. Lately, listening more to Blues Dream and the Charles Lloyd and the Marvels albums featuring Frisell. (Along with all sorts of other Charles Lloyd stuff).

Ah, yes, this one. I agree it is among Dolphy's best, although hardly referenced as such. I enjoy Booker Little's role as a counterpoint to Dolphy on these dates.

Mirror Image likes this.
  2. Dapper Zoom

Dapper Zoom 私以外私じゃないの

Hello all. I'm sorta new to this thread, but am going to start reading through it as well as searching within the thread.

In the meantime, I thought I'd share my Jazz playlist on Spotify. I created the list mostly as a way to help myself discover more jazz that I like. I listen on shuffle, and continuously add and remove for various reasons.

It was mostly constructed by doing a lot of listening, reading of jazz reviews and threads, and attending live performances. You'll find most styles represented from the Boswell Sisters and King Oliver up through current artists like Ari Hoening and Sons of Kemet, along with a lot of European Jazz, Gypsy Jazz, and some usual world music influenced jazz.

Please enjoy, and feel free to share:
    jjaazzzz, a playlist by pgoonghang on Spotify

Blue Note likes this.
  3. Mugrug12

Mugrug12 The Jungle Is a Skyscraper

Which is better vol 1 or vol 2 of Eric Dolphy at the five spot?

4. Dan Steele

Dan Steele Senior Member

Thats a band I’ll like for sure! Thanks!

5. Dapper Zoom

Dapper Zoom 私以外私じゃないの

IMO Volume 1 is a bit better as they get more "out there", which is what I assume is what you're looking for if asking about Dolphy. His horn sounds hilariously like a bicycle horn at a few points.

The band is good and it is nice to hear Booker and Eric trading ideas.

bluejimbop, Jacline and Mugrug12 like this.
  6. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

What version did you buy?

7. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

Get the AP 33 Vol 1 of this. Its fabulous

Mugrug12 likes this.
  8. Mirror Image

Mirror Image Forum Resident

When I think of Metheny, I tend to think of albums like Offramp (my favorite Pat Metheny Group or anything Metheny-related album), Watercolors (w/ Lyle Mays before the Pat Metheny Group moniker took on a life of its’ own), Question and Answer, and Bright Size Life (still one of his most incredible albums). I think the problem with a lot of his PMG work is it does have a tendency to veer off into a more orchestrated sound-world instead of maintaining a rawer jazz sound. I think he’s still one hell of a guitarist and he gets into some areas that Lee Ritenour would never venture into like for example the album Song X (w/ Ornette Coleman) or the solo album Zero Tolerance for Silence nor would Ritenour perform Steve Reich’s piece for electric guitar Electric Counterpoint. Anyway, my point is Metheny is a searching musician and always on the lookout for new avenues of expression whereas I believe Ritenour is more associated with that smooth jazz LA-style sound, which is okay in moderation, but doesn’t inspire nor impress me very much.

jay.dee, Starwanderer and Jacline like this.
  9. Mirror Image

A gorgeous album. :righton:

Starwanderer likes this.
  10. Mirror Image

I say check out his earlier work on ECM and with Paul Motian for a completely different kind of Frisell. Also, the short lived group Power Tools contains some Frisell’s best playing.

bluejimbop and ianuaditis like this.
  11. Fender Relic

Fender Relic Forum Resident

Sneaking a few LP's in before bedtime.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. SteveD.

SteveD. Forum Resident

Thanks for this link, hadn't seen it. Frisell is a treasure.

ianuaditis likes this.
  13. MikeManaic61

MikeManaic61 Forum Resident

I gave this try on Youtube and wow! Feels like Miles really did changed Jazz multiple times before his hiatus.

Mugrug12 likes this.
  14. Mirror Image

He really did, but On the Corner remains my least favorite Miles electric period album. I greatly prefer Get Up With It --- the piece He Loved Him Madly alone is one of the best things he’s done in his electric period. Have you heard this piece? It’s one long ambient type of work that makes Eno’s ambient experiments sound like the work of an amateur. Sorry Eno, but you know it’s true! :D

Last edited: Dec 18, 2018
    bluemooze, xybert, bluejimbop and 5 others like this.
  15. Mirror Image

Bobby Hutcherson: The Happenings (RVG remaster)

[​IMG]

16. MikeManaic61

MikeManaic61 Forum Resident

Whoa, now that you mention it, this is crazy i've ever heard from Miles. I've never expected to ambient experimentation with Jazz.

bluejimbop and Mirror Image like this.
  17. Mirror Image

Miles was had his hands in so many musical pots, my friend. Although I prefer his work with the ‘Second Great Quintet’ and back the most, I still am constantly surprised by the level of inventiveness that happened in his electric period. Bitches Brew is one of my favorite albums of Miles’ and I’m still awestruck by this album.

18. Tom H

Tom H Forum Resident

I've seen both Metheny and Ritenour live in the last year, and I think in blind test I can pick out Metheny easily.

I don't consider Pat Metheny "smooth jazz" like Larry Carlton or Lee Ritenour or Rippingtons. I like Metheny a lot more, but I can also enjoy the smooth jazz guys.

Jacline likes this.
  19. Jacline

Jacline Forum Resident

Merci pour ta réponse. I was born much closer to that year (1957) than you, my friend. Gives me an advantage. ;)

Yesternow likes this.
  20. Jacline

Jacline Forum Resident

Thanks for your analysis, MI. :edthumbs:

Mirror Image likes this.
  21. Jacline

Jacline Forum Resident

All right. Thank you, Tom. (What the heck is Rippingtons? Do I even want to know? ;))

22. vinylsolution

vinylsolution Forum Resident

I'll leave opinion out and cite fact, they play them on the weather channel.
    :-popcorn:

Dan Steele and Jacline like this.
  23. Jacline

Jacline Forum Resident

LOL! (Well, not TOO loud, it's late up here.) Thanks, vinylsolution. You gave me the answer. (Not enough Beatles references on this doggone thread. ;))

24. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

Thanks, will do. I've also subscribed to your Frisell appreciation thread.

Mirror Image likes this.
  25. Octave

Octave Shake Appeal

[​IMG]

Herbie Hancock: DEATH WISH OST
    (1974)

Surprised how much I liked this. Not sure I "lost masterpiece" liked it, but there would be some little ideas that made for a potent taste, and they weren't allowed to wear out their welcome. I guess I am not recommending it, but especially the early portion of the record sounds pretty great.
    I don't remember having a high enough opinion of the film to try it again soon for context, though apparently Christopher Sorrentino goes long about the film in a monograph written for Soft Skull Press' Deep Focus series (longform filmcrit for 'downmarket'/cult/respectability-challenged films).

Also THRUST and HEAD HUNTERS, both pleasurable but not as much as they were when I first heard them. Parts of THRUST in particular still make me giggle, I think as collections of small bits they are wonderful as proto-breaks etc.

bluemooze, xybert, Ray Cole and 3 others like this.