Listenin' to Jazz and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Sep 1, 2016.

1. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

After that conversation, I wound up listening to this album a couple of times and quite liked it. I'll have to return to it some more. I'm also a Greenleaf subscriber so I'll check out the Live in Montreal set.

Starwanderer and lschwart like this.
  2. Beatnik_Daddyo'73

Beatnik_Daddyo'73 Music Addiction Personified

WP:
    Sun Ra And His Myth Science Arkestra* ‎– Angels And Demons At Play / The Nubians Of Plutonia
    [​IMG]
    Label:
    Evidence (5) ‎– ECD 22066-2, Evidence (5) ‎– ECD 22066
    Format:
    CD, Compilation, Reissue
    US
    Released:
    Genre:
    Jazz

NP:
    Andrew Hill ‎– Compulsion!!!!!

[​IMG]
    Label:
    Blue Note ‎– 0946 3 74230 2 8
    Series:
    RVG Edition
    Format:
    CD, Album, Reissue, Remastered, Repress
    Europe
    Released:
    Genre:
    Jazz
    Style:
    Post Bop

Recorded on October 8, 1965 at the Van Gelder Studio, Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey

3. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

I saw Milt from one of the front tables at the Regattabar in Cambridge, MA back in 1993, I believe. I bought a copy of this one on cassette at the show (!) and he signed it for me. During the show, when he wasn't playing, Milt sat just behind the band looking a bit buzzed and half nodding off to sleep. When it came time for him to play however, he would stride up to his vibes and unleash these gorgeously dense torrents of notes with this very intense yet dream-like expression on his face. Being only about 10 feet away was a real treat.

4. lschwart

lschwart Senior Member

I had never heard of Mitchell when I happened to be in Chicago for a conference and saw an ad at the old Jazz Record Mart for a show by her Indigo Trio at the Velvet Lounge. I decided to go to the show only because the percussionist was Hamid Drake, who is one of my favorite jazz drummers. When we got to the gig, though we discovered that the trio was a no show for some reason, and instead we got a simply gorgeous set by the Ice Crystal quartet with Jason Adasiewicz on vibes. I can't say it was a disappointment! I bought the Greenleaf set soon after that night, and it was all I'd hoped the trio concert would have been. It took years for the Ice Crystal quartet to record, but that was worth the wait. Mitchell and Adasiewicz have a lovely rapport, and Joshua Abrams and Frank Rosaly provide a suitably deep and open approach to groove.

L.

5. Beatnik_Daddyo'73

Beatnik_Daddyo'73 Music Addiction Personified

...for my money it doesn’t get much better than “The Dragon Lady” and “Nineteen Bars” is like punk rock in its pace and intensity. Woowee!

NP:

The Horace Silver Quintet ‎–Silver's Serenade
    [​IMG]
    Label:
    Blue Note ‎– CDP 7243 8 21288 2 3
    Format:
    CD, Album, Reissue
    US
    Released:
    Genre:
    Jazz
    Style:
    Hard Bop

Recorded May 7 & 8, 1963 at the Van Gelder Studio, Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey

6. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

I haven’t heard this one, but really liked Unstraight Ahead.

7. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

I saw him a few times at Yoshi’s in the mid to late ‘90s and early 2000s, as well as opening for the Dead at Cal Expo in ‘92. Great every time.

Starwanderer and AxiomAcoustics like this.
  8. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

I bet. I have only been to the Reggatta Bar once, but it’s a nice venue. Saw Branford there with Jeff “Tain” Watts on drums, who I focused on most of the show.

Erik B., AxiomAcoustics and Archtop like this.
  9. Yesternow

Yesternow Forum pResident

It was recorded in 1989, it will be 30 this year.

As with Conference of Birds it's one of a kind. And it sounds fantastic as well. They are very different, but in my opinion two of Dave Holland's best albums.

I've raved about this one more than once,
    Extensions - Dave Holland Quartet.
    [​IMG]

The individual performances are outstanding imo.

It was my first ECM and my first Holland's album, so maybe that's why it's so important to me.

It used to be a relevant item in my small collection because it was 'modern'. At least compared to the 50s, 60s and early 70s albums I have.
    But it will turn 30 this year so...

Have to play it this weekend.

10. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

My system is making this seem as if it is happening in my living-room tonight. Lucy is surfing on the computer in another room and she's not objecting to my having this just a bit louder than I usually do to sneak some music in. . . so that means it is weaving a similar spell for her.

A very "real" recording and excellent music. I love Jacques and Paula together!

Paula and Jacques Morelenbaum with CelloSam3a Trio "Live in Italia--Ommagio a Jobim"
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
    bluejimbop and Yesternow like this.
  11. Here we are, three weeks after Christmas and I'm still spinning my AP Charlie Brown Christmas. Feels a little odd at points, but damn this is such a superb example of when quality recording, mastering, pressing, and, most importantly, music are all on full display.

I haven;t listened to much Vince Guaraldi Trio outside of this album. Any recommendations?

12. Dan Steele

Dan Steele Senior Member

I think Capra Black and Croquet Ballet are tremendous. Really like where Lee was going at this time with the modal playing, especially on Live at the Lighthouse which was recorded just before this.

Mugrug12, Robitjazz and Yesternow like this.
  13. The Carrot Guy

The Carrot Guy Forum Resident

Late to the party but all the talk of artist's childhood homes inspired me to play this lovely album by Ben and Ellen Harper:

[​IMG]

jazz_case likes this.
  14. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

Prince "Piano & A Microphone 1983" . . . . And really that's all he needed.

A very nice release, surprised me that we got this when we did.

[​IMG]

Starwanderer and Crispy Rob like this.
  15. calgary669

calgary669 Forum Resident

Man, I know my prog but there’s a few bands in there that I have never heard of! Need to check these out!

jay.dee likes this.
  16. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

His best known work other than the Peanuts soundtrack work is probably Jazz Impressions of Black Orpheus. Same trio as the Peanuts stuff and Monty Budwig swings like mad on Samba de Orpheus (give it a minute):

xybert, Ray Cole, Crispy Rob and 2 others like this.
  17. alamo54us

alamo54us Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    I didn't have any Duke Pearson albums in my collection and, based on the frequency of mentions here, I'd been looking for Wahoo for some time. Affordable copies (CD) were hard to come by and I didn't want another Amazon CD-R, so saw this the other day and picked it up. I have mixed feelings about these omnibus types of releases (I'd much rather have the albums in their original configurations), but they offer good point-of-entry and sometimes give a decent overview of an artist of interest. In this case, it'll fill a gap until I find individual titles.
    At any rate, I really enjoyed Wahoo, especially the title tune and "Bedouin," though the whole album was top notch. As always, Joe Henderson elevates the session, but there's great playing throughout.
    I'm not an audiophile but the recording sounded good to me (though I've only listened to a couple of the included albums so far). It cost a little over $10 new. Oh, and a couple of the included albums are actually Donald Byrd titles that feature Pearson.

18. AxiomAcoustics

AxiomAcoustics "The enemy is listening"

For those interested in more recent work by Pharoah this is an excellent slab of kosmische Jazz, one of my favorite releases of 2014. Also worth exploring the multiple worlds of Rob Mazurek and his Chicago Underground (Whatever).

Pharoah & The Underground: Spiral Mercury
    (w/The Chicago/Sao Paulo Underground)

Pharoah Sanders: Tenor Saxophone, voice
    Rob Mazurek: Cornet, flute, electronics, voice
    Guilherme Grenado: Synths, samples, percusion, voice
    Mauricio Takara: Cavaquinho, percussion, electronics
    Matthew Lux: Electric Bass
    Chad Taylor: Drums, mbira

Recorded at Jazz em Agosto Festival in Lisbon on August 11th, 2013. A heady stew of Sun Ra exploration and spacescapes, Electric Miles voodoo funk and Mazurek's 21st century take on both. Pharoah, while not necessarily a "feature" in the overt sense but rather part of the colective, fits in nicely even though he's not got the lungs of his days with Coltrane. More the wisened Sensei, choosing his words carefully. Mazurek has that dry stacatto tone on Cornet that conjures impressions of DonCherry at his prime. A wide ranging spaced-out groove heavy set of music incorporating the varying world music influences of the band members with Takara's Cavaquinho playing (a small 4-stringed Portugese guitar) sounding like Ali Farka Toure has joined the proceedings while everyone takes up percussion for breaks of jungle hoedown. There's also a companion 2xLP set worth checking out titled "Primitive Jupiter". Excellent post-modern Jazz augmented by a master of the music.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. hyde park

hyde park Forum Resident

I was fortunate to catch the show at Univ. of Chicago's Mandel Hall that was on April 30, 2004. The show ended the whole ensemble playing in the lobby as we were leaving. Great set of music.

Since I always enjoyed their 72 release from the same venue, I was extremely excited to see the show.
    Seeing all the instruments/percussions/drums on the stage was a staggering site when I first entered the hall.

AxiomAcoustics and Dahabenzapple like this.
  20. AxiomAcoustics

I love that Croydon Concert. I've got the two ORG LP's that were released for RSD. Mastered from the original analog tapes by Bernie. I believe they are also available post-RSD as well. (Just checked, they are indeed.) It's a shame that Ornette's discography got so convoluted around that time, as he left Atlantic, with all the comps and delayed releases. It really did him no service. It really is a shame we don;t have studio dates from the great trio, which I cannot believe did not get a chance.

Interesting aabout the planned and aborted BN release of the Town Hall. That gig was recorded by Jerry Newman, who did a little work for Stollman (coincidentally "Pharoahs First") but never was contracted by BN or Lion so I wonder if the Newman/ESP recording was contracted after the BN recording was abandoned, or if BN were going to use Newman's tapes? Or, were TWO recordings made that night? Can you direct me to the discos you're referring to, sounds more detailed than what I've seen.

21. Dan Steele

Dan Steele Senior Member

Frankly, it doesn’t matter what it sounds like, that is an embarrassment of great music for $10! The Cat Walk is no slouch either with Byrd and Adams, I have been enjoying the XRCD release since Christmas. If you have Bobby Hutcherson’s The Kicker you can do a “Bedouin shootout”, to compare to Wahoo’s version, Joe H plays great on both, of course.

Erik B., bluejimbop and alamo54us like this.
  22. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

Dont forget Grant Greens take of Bedouin

23. AxiomAcoustics

One of my favorite BN's of the period, and a GM3 date as much as a Jackie date. If you dig this, and it sounds like this is new to you, check out Jackie's "Destination....Out!", Grachan's "Evolution" and "Some Other Stuff" as well. They really are of a piece and contain some stunning music. (My new radio show, if it ever gets off the ground, will use "Love And Hate" from "Destination.....Out!" as bumper music) :cool:

P.S. If you do vinyl(s) the first three are available in stunning versions from Music Matters.

24. Dan Steele

Dan Steele Senior Member

All this talk of Lee Morgan’s Last Session required that I play Capra Black, and as great as it is, that was just the warmup for the 22 min Absolutions from Live at the Lighthouse! Were there other great Live at the Lighthouse jazz recordings besides Lee Morgan, Grant Green, and Elvin Jones? I think I paid about $40 for this set and it is worth every penny. It would have been cool to see Lee and Bennie Maupin rip through these songs while they were wearing beach shirts and flip flops.

[​IMG]

25. AxiomAcoustics

As well as Tony Williams.

Dan Steele likes this.