Listenin' to Jazz and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Sep 1, 2016.

1. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

Amen

Lonson likes this.
  2. Dan Steele

Dan Steele Senior Member

What a great jazz album side, side A of Illumination! Nuttin Out Jones with Sonny Simmons on the English Horn, Oriental Flower highlighting Tyner, and Half and Half with an awesome Charles Davis’s baritone sax solo. Side B wasn’t as strong but maybe it will grow on me. Wonderful variety in horn/woodwind sounds with Prince Lasha on clarinet/flute also. Can not stop listening to Half and Half.

[​IMG]

3. Cippi

Cippi Senior Member

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Love the sound of Miles Davis & Sonny Rollins playing together. Also Charlie Parker plays tenor, apparently drunk, on the 1st 4 tunes of Collectors.

dAlost, Scope J, Crispy Rob and 11 others like this.
  4. Kevin Davis

Kevin Davis EQUIPMENT PROFILE INCOMPLETE

[​IMG]
    This recently released 2007 performance by Haden and Mehldau is certainly worthy of the "great duets" mantle. Some wonderfully conversational playing between the two musicians. A tribute to Haden from top to bottom, from Mehldau's liner notes to the prevalence of the bass in the mix.

5. calgary669

calgary669 Forum Resident

Quick question for the experts! For Blue Note albums, am i better off getting a McMaster remaster on CD or a Grundman/Yoshida lp from the recent, controversial 75th anniversary pressing?? Thanks!

6. Cippi

Cippi Senior Member

[​IMG]

Such a beautiful album. The opener, "The Man I Love," blows me away.

7. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

If you do computer audio, I'd choose the Grundman/Yoshida download from HDTracks or service of your choice. If you want the LP, I'd check whether the Euro pressing is available to you. The US pressings were done at United, save for some of the 10" records, which were done at RTI.

Starwanderer and calgary669 like this.
  8. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

I got some more Audio Wave Blue Note XRCDs. I couldn't help myself.

Tina Brooks - Back to the Tracks
    Tina Brooks - True Blue
    Sonny Clark - Cool Struttin'
    Kenny Drew - Undercurrent

Plus, the ORG Mingus Tijuana Moods as well.

9. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Art Blakey & the Jazz Messengers
    A Night in Tunisia
    Music Matters 33 SRX vinyl

In my opinion, the definitive version of this classic record. All-analog on pristine, dead silent vinyl, with stunning dynamics and transparency. Highly recommended.

10. Rob C

Rob C Forum Resident

Listening to one of my favorite recent discoveries: Jessica Lurie's Long Haul. I stumbled across this one after googling her name as a member of Zion80.

A lovely set of compositions played by a great band. (I'm finding Brian Marsella's involvement in a record to be a mark of quality...)

Long Haul, by Jessica Lurie Ensemble

Jessica Lurie: alto saxophone
    Brian Marsella - piano
    Mike Gamble - guitar
    Todd Sickafoose - acoustic bass
    Allison Miller - drums, percussion
    Special guest Naomi Seigel on trombone

JHC3, jay.dee and jazz_case like this.
  11. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

I thought this was the first time I had seen this album posted here at but alas the intrepid @Six String had posted it earlier. Still a rare showing. Ill have to check this out.

Dan Steele likes this.
  12. OldJohnRobertson

OldJohnRobertson Martyr for Even Less

That album reads like "Impulse! album where Coltrane wasn't feeling it that day." I bet it's outstanding. :D

Dan Steele likes this.
  13. calgary669

calgary669 Forum Resident

Sampling this one for the first time tonight!

[​IMG]

14. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

That 1954 Miles Davis with Sonny Rollins session with Horace Silver, Percy Heath and Kenny Clarke that gave us all those Sonny Rollins classics -- Doxy, Oleo, Airegin, and that awesome version of But Not for Me (great solo by Silver), is one of my three or four favorite, most listened to, Miles Davis sessions.

[​IMG]

15. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

16. Berthold

Berthold "When you swing....swing some more!" -- Th. Monk

Duke Ellington: The RCA Centennial Edition 22

[​IMG]

Oh how I like all this Music!

17. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

As that set went out of print not too long after its release, and as only a smaller portion of it has been subsequently reissued or remastered, it amazes me that much of it has been out of print for nearly 20 years.

The young fellow with his hand outstretched to Duke was the blind pianist Brooks Kerr, who was the world's leading expert on Duke's compositions. He died recently. After Duke's death, he hired several former members of Duke's band (Sonny Greer, Russel Procope) and played Duke's music in NYC clubs.

[​IMG]

“If you have any questions about my music,” Mr. Ellington said, “just ask Brooks Kerr.”

Mr. Kerr, who was 2 when he began playing the piano, 5 when he met the maestro and 17 when he helped celebrate Mr. Ellington’s 70th birthday at the White House, died in a Manhattan hospital on April 28, 2018 on the eve of the anniversary of the Duke’s birth. He was 66.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

Amen! When this came out it was a stretch of my budget and a hard-won battle with my wife to purchase it. . . but I am so glad to have it. Amazing music within. Many have taken issue with the sound but I find it fine.

Ray Cole and Berthold like this.
  19. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

lschwart and ATR like this.
  20. Dan Steele

Dan Steele Senior Member

I read several summaries of it and there was a question as to how it even came about because it was recorded in 1963 during the Classic Quartet period. I’m sure some on this thread could give a backstory or maybe it was just an opportunity for Jones/Garrison to do something under their own name? The rhythm session adds 3 players to take the place of John for this album (as the narrative in a couple reviews goes implying it takes 3 to =1). Maybe that is why I am liking this album so much, and I am warming to side B, that drum solo on Aborigines Dance in Scotland has my attention, you get to hear Tyner/Garrison/Jones with different horns and styles. Tyner, Simmons, Lasha and Garrison wrote 1 track each, and Davis wrote 2.

21. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

This one again. I had not explored Byrd's Concord years before this and have to say that was a mistake--some great music on the three discs I have.

I really enjoy Jobim in the wintertime. The sunny Brazilian "vibe" is welcome, and alternately the melancholy, the "saudade" in the music seems fitting with snow on the ground and the bare trees brandishing snow.

The Charlie Byrd Trio (with special guest Ken Peplowski) "The Bossa Nova Years" Concord cd

[​IMG]

notesofachord and Jazzicalit like this.
  22. jamo spingal

jamo spingal Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Impulse AS-9183 from 1970.
    Continuation of overtly political albums recorded in the 60s. This was inspired by songs from the Spanish Civil War, the LMO being a continuation/offshoot of the Jazz Composers Guild Orchestra.
    The Jazz Composers Guild

vanhooserd, peter1, lschwart and 4 others like this.
  23. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

If I ever took the time to do an A/B sound comparison with the Duke Ellington French RCA series of LPs, I cannot remember. Did you ever compare the two?

Sidebar comment: Graphic design in France has always been odd. I could never understand why they did not use "period appropriate" images of Duke on the covers.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

xybert likes this.
  24. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

The Gypsy meets The Duke in America

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

xybert, Scope J, vanhooserd and 5 others like this.
  25. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

The Duke meets The Gypsy in France

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

jphabc54, xybert, Scope J and 10 others like this.