Listenin' to Jazz and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Sep 1, 2016.

1. Berthold

Berthold "When you swing....swing some more!" -- Th. Monk

This week I like to go through some piano trio sessions. Anyone else interested?

Starting with

Nat Cole The Capitol Records 2

[​IMG]

ultron9, Marzz, Chazzbo13 and 2 others like this.
  2. Berthold

and now

Ahmad Jamal The OKeH & Epic Records

[​IMG]

3. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

Haven't listened to that one in awhile, going to put it on this morning, thanks.

Lonson likes this.
  4. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Starting off with Monk's Thelonious Alone in San Francisco on cd.

Conversation, grateful to have heat and power this morning. Temp is 6 degrees fahrenheit out there.

Starwanderer and Berthold like this.
  5. Berthold

and now

Red Garland: The P.C. Blues

[​IMG]

ultron9, xybert and Starwanderer like this.
  6. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

The Commodor Years The Tenor Sax
    Lester Young Chu Berry & Ben Webster
    [​IMG]
    Classic small group sessions by these 3 masters
    Recorded in 1938, 1941 and 1944.
    Im becoming obsessed with listening to any small band sessions from these early years.
    So nice to really hear their magic out front and center.
    This is a 1973 Atlantic 2fer I dug outa the cheap bins.

vanhooserd, Moebius and Berthold like this.
  7. Berthold

Erroll Garner: Concert By The Sea

[​IMG]

latest remastered Version in HiRes - that´s great!

xybert, Robitjazz, Moebius and 3 others like this.
  8. Berthold

followed by

Hank Jones "The Oracle"

[​IMG]

9. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

In a broad sense, it is surprising how relatively few small group jazz records were made prior to 1945, after the brief craze for small groups in the late 1920's. The record companies wanted big bands. Even legendary performers like Louis Armstrong, were unable to make many small group records after his Hot Five and Hot Seven records. After the War, the economy forced companies to downscale and accept small group sessions. Minor labels could not afford big sessions, so they put out the majority of the small group sessions before 1945

You would probably enjoy many of the records that were made for the Keynote label.

If you are not familiar with John Kirby, look for his records

peter1 likes this.
  10. ATR

ATR Senior Member

Very much so, except that set is long gone.

Berthold likes this.
  11. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

Yes it seems like you need eccentric individuals like Harry Lim or Teddy Reig to make the small labels viable even for the short time they lasted. I picked up the 11 cd fresh sounds comp of the Keynote Label and really love it. It seems people only focus on the superstars but there is much to love there by “lesser” artists. Occasionally I find a roost comp in the bins and that’s a good day. Although I like some big band stuff I really prefer these small combos where they can break free more.
    Do you know of a book on this era. The small labels era of the 30s through 40s. I think there must be many interesting tales to be told. Thanks for the Kirby link. I don’t know him.

12. Starwanderer

Starwanderer Senior Member

Anthony Braxton - Quartet (Willisau) 1991, Studio

Anthony Braxton: alto saxophone, clarinet, contrabass clarinet, flute, sopranino saxophone
    Marilyn Crispell: piano
    Mark Dresser: double bass
    Gerry Hemingway: drums, marimba

[​IMG]

ultron9, Marzz, xybert and 5 others like this.
  13. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I have not kept up with books on jazz for many years. Gunther Schuller wrote a good one, though it was not explicitly about small groups. He was a composer, so it blends in some serious musicology with history.

[​IMG]

vanhooserd and Stu02 like this.
  14. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

In hardcopy it is. But it's streaming on both Tidal and Spotify

15. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

I don't typically listen to music while I'm doing something else, but the weather is frigid outside, I'm off work, media is all in reruns and holiday programming, so I'm in the kitchen cooking beef stew and listening to Bird -- the Dial & Savoy master takes follows by the Verve master takes.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. G L Tirebiter

G L Tirebiter Forum Resident

It was in single digits this morning here east of Pittsburgh, so cranked a little Pat Metheny '80/81". Michael Brecker and Dewey Redman warmed things up quite nicely.

ultron9, Chazzbo13 and JeffMo like this.
  17. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Baked chicken pot pie yesterday, and chili is on tap for tonight!

Coltrane Blue Train on deck for sound “comfort food”!

ultron9 likes this.
  18. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I used to name food dishes that I was preparing after the music that I listened to while cooking. So, when someone asked what was for dinner, they might get the answer "Klact-o-veeseds-tene Stew", after the Charlie Parker tune. Sometimes it was named after the artist, like "John Coltrane Rice"

Crispy Rob, Rob C and Yesternow like this.
  19. lwh1

lwh1 Forum Resident

Tina Brooks 'The Waiting Game' (Blue Note 1961)

Crispy Rob, Berthold, ultron9 and 2 others like this.
  20. ATR

ATR Senior Member

Cool.

21. Moebius

Moebius Forum Resident

I don't have this one, but I picked up Gunther's companion book Early Jazz a while back. All the musicological stuff about the prehistory of jazz - looking African drum choirs, the blues scale etc. are really fascinating (although maybe not a light read). I still need to finish it, I've been dipping in and out.

vanhooserd and Stu02 like this.
  22. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

The Swing Era book is his grand work...far more detail.

Moebius likes this.
  23. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Here is something non-jazz that I am deeply into. This early music has been largely ignored in America. Most of the interest is in Europe.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I worked for a few years doing environmental surveys in Eastern Kentucky. I wish I had looked Buell Kazee up and gone to visit him. Buell introduced the song "On Top of Old Smokey" to the popular canon in the 1920's. My Dad would sing that song constantly as he was renovating our family home.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 21, 2019
  24. Robitjazz

Robitjazz Forum Resident

I own it. There is a tune (Cravo e Canela) in which her husband Airto Moreira plays wonderfully berimbau with the great Milton Nascimento as vocalist.
    To me it is an album that tell us the great value of Montreux Festival in the seventies, probably the peak of its long history.

Lonson likes this.
  25. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

These days I've been approach Schuller with some care. Darcy James Argue has published a piece substantially questioning the accuracy of Schuller's transcriptions -- Misunderstanding in Blue (by Darcy James Argue) -- and the conclusions Schuller draws from these transcriptions (or maybe his transcriptions grew out of pre-conceived ideas about the music he was trying to transcribe). And Jeffrey Magee, in his great book on Fletcher Henderson, Uncrowned King of Swing, takes Schuller to task for extending a kind of reflexive criticism of Henderson, Redman and early orchestrated jazz as being somehow being pulled between "true and false jazz" between hot jazz and commercial pop -- Magee's suggestion is almost that this divide is a culturally biased misapprehension of the music as it was both experienced by listeners and intended by practioners in its time. Not to say Magee and Argue are right and Schuller is wrong, I dunno. Just to say that Schuller's texts maybe aren't gospel.