Listenin' to Jazz and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Sep 1, 2016.

1. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

Is that a photo of your own 10 in record? Love that cover. I have found 10 inch records often have been messed up with bad needles even if they look relatively unblemished

Mugrug12 likes this.
  2. Berthold

Berthold "When you swing....swing some more!" -- Th. Monk

J J Johnson: The Columbia Small Group Sessions 7

[​IMG]

3. Harry Krishner

Harry Krishner Forum Resident

bluemooze likes this.
  4. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

bluemooze, Aura, Robitjazz and 6 others like this.
  5. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Name the stars

Note the protruding security wire so you could open the tilt-out windows.

[​IMG]

6. hyde park

hyde park Forum Resident

Yeah - I have that release -- haven't read the notes in awhile (nor have I listen to it) --- need to. But those notes sprung to mind when the topic was brought up.

Listening now to 2/14/69 Dead show --- the Dark Star fits nicely in this thread...

frightwigwam likes this.
  7. Berthold

Berthold "When you swing....swing some more!" -- Th. Monk

Lee Morgan & Wayne Shorter: The Vee Jay Sessions 1

[​IMG]

bluemooze, Cervelo, Erik B. and 6 others like this.
  8. Roger Thornhill

Roger Thornhill Senior Member

I saw James Brandon Lewis with Mark Sanders and John Edwards at Cafe Oto a week or so ago and was really impressed. Sadly he'd sold out of his new album at gigs earlier in his tour but a copy arrived from Relative Pitch the other day. Well worth hearing IMO.

James Brandon Lewis - Tenor Saxophone
    Jaimie Branch - Trumpet
    Luke Stewart - Bass
    Anthony Pirog - Guitar
    Warren Trae Crudup III - Drums

[​IMG]

bluemooze, jay.dee and Dahabenzapple like this.
  9. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

Mose Allison to the left of Lester Young, then Mary Lou Williams, maybe Art Blakey, Oscar Pettiford. Not sure about Mr. sunglasses.

Soulpope likes this.
  10. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

Not Blakey, but Rouse. "Sunglasses" I think is drummer Ronnie Free.

Beatnik_Daddyo'73 and vanhooserd like this.
  11. Lonson

Listening again to Sidney Bechet "Volume 2: 1943-1946" on Neatwork, alternates including a few Ellington tunes.

Not only does this disc provide a few alternates that I did not otherwise have, it also plays great as a compilation of his wonderful work over those years for a number of labels.

bluemooze likes this.
  12. Mugrug12

Mugrug12 The Jungle Is a Skyscraper

It's my own photo but this ones just a regular 12" lp.

Stu02 likes this.
  13. Lonson

Bob Moses "Time Stood Still"

[​IMG]

bluemooze and Mugrug12 like this.
  14. Yesternow

Yesternow Forum pResident

[​IMG]
    Just chill bro... I know what I'm doing.

15. frightwigwam

frightwigwam Talented Amateur

Looking at Tony as the linchpin, then, I guess these would be some other relevant offshoots in 1964-65:

Herbie Hancock/ Empyrian Isles
    Freddie Hubbard, cornet; Herbie Hancock, piano; Ron Carter, bass; Anthony Williams, drums.
    Van Gelder Studio, Englewood Cliffs, NJ, June 17, 1964

Grachan Moncur III/ Some Other Stuff
    Grachan Moncur III, trombone; Wayne Shorter, tenor sax; Herbie Hancock, piano; Cecil McBee, bass; Anthony Williams, drums.
    Van Gelder Studio, Englewood Cliffs, NJ, July 6, 1964

Wayne Shorter/ The Soothsayer
    Freddie Hubbard, trumpet; James Spaulding, alto sax; Wayne Shorter, tenor sax; McCoy Tyner, piano; Reggie Workman, bass; Tony Williams, drums.
    Van Gelder Studio, Englewood Cliffs, NJ, March 4, 1965

Herbie Hancock/ Maiden Voyage
    Freddie Hubbard, trumpet; George Coleman, tenor sax; Herbie Hancock, piano; Ron Carter, bass; Anthony Williams, drums.
    Van Gelder Studio, Englewood Cliffs, NJ, March 17, 1965

In February 1964, Lee Morgan enlisted Wayne and Herbie for Search for the New Land, which sounds a lot like a tribute to Miles' SGQ, but Billy Higgins is in the drum chair with Grant Green and Reggie Workman filling out the rest of the rhythm section. When Wayne and Herbie teamed with Lee again in 1967, on The Procrastinator, they brought along Ron Carter, but Billy Higgins remained in the drum chair, while Bobby Hutcherson replaced Grant Green. (I like to hear this as a hint at what might have been if my man on vibes had ever played with the Miles group at that time, too.) Oh, but Lee also brought in Wayne-Herbie-Ron earlier in 1967 to play on Standards--an album I didn't know about until just now--but with Mickey Roker on drums, and James Spaulding and Pepper Adams in an expanded sax section. Lee usually liked to hire Billy Higgins, and of course Roker eventually became part of Lee's working group. I guess they gave him a steadier hard bop groove.

Wayne most often chose Elvin Jones or Joe Chambers to play drums on his albums in this period.

You mentioned listening closely to what Joe Chambers is playing on a Jackie McLean record, as an example. What kind of effect do you think he had on the music when playing with Wayne? Is he much different than Tony? When you listen to Speak No Evil, how does Elvin Jones alter the dynamic for you?

16. Lonson

Blue Mitchell "Down with It" Blue Note Japan TOCJ 24 bit remastered cd

[​IMG]

bluemooze, Aura, Robitjazz and 4 others like this.
  17. Lonson

Blue Mitchell "Bring it on Home" Blue Note Japan SHM-CD

[​IMG]

bluemooze, Aura, Robitjazz and 5 others like this.
  18. xybert

xybert Forum Resident

Denny Zeitlin - Zeitgeist

[​IMG]

19. Dan Steele

Dan Steele Senior Member

I love Charles Tolliver, part 1. Really took me a while to put the pieces together but I’ll start with Max Roach’s great LP Members Don’t Git Weary. Tolliver partners with Gary Bartz on alto in the frontline and his future Music Inc co-leader Stanley Cowell on piano. Cowell’s Abstrutions and bassist Jaymie Merritt’s Absolutions are early modal compositions that foreshadow the direction of Music Inc a few years later. Add Cowell’s Abscretions from the album Music Inc and those are 3 fantastic songs starting with Ab....

[​IMG]

20. Dan Steele

Dan Steele Senior Member

I love Charles Tolliver, part 2. Before that around 1965, Tolliver worked with Jackie McLean on Action and Jacknife. On Action he provided the composition Plight and on Jacknife he provided the great On the Nile, which I like for the trumpet interplay with Lee Morgan, Jackie’s solo and that it is more stretched out at 12 min than the Music Inc version.

[​IMG]

21. Dan Steele

Dan Steele Senior Member

I love Charles Tolliver part 3. Picked up this 1967 recorded Booker Ervin led album today. No shock that my favorite song among several was Tolliver’s modal Franess. Have only been through thisquickly but really solid cd with Nelson’s Stolen Moments and Foster’s Shiny Stockings.

[​IMG]

22. Dan Steele

Dan Steele Senior Member

I love Charles Tolliver part 4. My posts culminate in an album I’ve lusted after for awhile but just couldn’t avoid plunking down a lot $ for anymore when a cd was available locally. Others have posted this recently so enough to say this is immensely enjoyable all the way through. Adds more instruments than the Live at Slugs quartet, so much more interesting compositions to me. And still cheaper than paying $80 for the Mosaic Select box (and the Impact album on that box adds string orchestra). But in no way is this what I would call a “big band”, the extra pieces just color the Tolliver and Cowell solos. Abscretions, On the Nile, Household of Saud, Ruthie’s Heart, Departure, Brilliant Circles - in my order of top to bottom - not a bad track on here.

[​IMG]

23. Mugrug12

Mugrug12 The Jungle Is a Skyscraper

Nice posts! Love Cowell's "equipoise" from this. These are all great records...

Telegram Sam and Dan Steele like this.
  24. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

25. Yesternow

Yesternow Forum pResident

????????? Jazz Quiz ?????????
    While playing an album yesterday I was saying to myself:
    "yeah, if I had a Jaguar I would certainly have a new perspective on jazz too"

To which album am I referring to?
    ????????? Jazz Quiz ?????????