Listenin' to Jazz and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Sep 1, 2016.

1. Moebius

Moebius Forum Resident

Piano centric evening.

The World of Cecil Taylor (Candid)

[​IMG]

Bill Evans California Here I Come (Verve)
    [​IMG]

I quite often dig listening with all the lights out (easier with Cds...) That kind of evening today.

Erik B., crispi, xybert and 5 others like this.
  2. Robitjazz

Robitjazz Forum Resident

I loved very much "God Bless The Child" played by BS&T.
    Once I remember the Italian pretty famous trumpeter Enrico Rava who during a jazz festival whose was an artistic director talked about of the great solo played by Lew Soloff on that tune and told that thanks to BS&T could know that wonderful trumpet soloist.
    In that circumstance Soloff was with the great Ray Anderson, a tuba bass player and a drummer: awesome concert after Brad Mehldau Trio. It happened in March 2012.

Six String likes this.
  3. BluTom

BluTom Forum Resident

Peter Bernstein Trio- Monk (Xanadu)
    [​IMG]
    Earlier listened to a couple of Wes Montgomery tribute albums (Havard Stubo & Pat Martino).
    Continuing on with the tribute album theme with a very worthy Monk tribute album by guitarist
    Peter Bernstein.

Track Listing: Bemsha Swing; Pannonica; Work; Brilliant Corners; Monk's Mood; Well You Needn't; Let's Cool One; In Walked Bud; Light Blue; Played Twice; Ruby, My Dear; Blues 5 Spot; Reflections.

Personnel: Peter Bernstein: guitar; Doug Weiss: bass; Bill Stewart: drums.

bluejimbop, Erik B. and xybert like this.
  4. BluTom

BluTom Forum Resident

Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers- The Big Beat (MM reissue)
    [​IMG]

5. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

These are NOT mine. All are still sealed.

[​IMG]

6. BluTom

BluTom Forum Resident

I have all those minus a handful and I assure you none are still sealed! Crazy.

Erik B. likes this.
  7. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I have 26 of the 38. I seriously think that Mosaic should revive the Select series of 3 CD sets. There is a market.

That set was either from a collector who bought two of each (probable), or never opened his one copy (possible). It does not appear to be Michael C.'s personal archive (a possibility)

When going through my attic, I found the shipping carton in which I received the very first Mosaic set (Thelonious Monk) when first issued.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2019
    Erik B. and BluTom like this.
  8. BluTom

BluTom Forum Resident

Totally agreed with this premise. Was very sorry to see the select series discontinued. Though it was the wrong move but what do I know?

Erik B. likes this.
  9. lwh1

lwh1 Forum Resident

Currently listening to this one.
    Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers 'Oh-By The Way' (1982) A Japanese release with appalling front cover artwork. Recorded and originally released in Holland.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 17, 2019
    Erik B., Six String and BluTom like this.
  10. Theloneliest Monk

Theloneliest Monk Forum Resident

I’m sure I’m not the only one who would enjoy reading more of what you’re thinking regarding your listening in your posts. My search today of the thread for some new fusion to check out landed me on Larry Coryell. I wasn’t familiar with him prior to this. I didn’t choose Barefoot Boy though, instead I chose one that I found on Apple Music called Fairyland, the album cover and title captured my attention so I chose it. It turned out being fantastic jazz-rock power trio kinda stuff, I really liked it a lot.

Larry Coryell: Fairyland

[​IMG]

11. OldJohnRobertson

OldJohnRobertson Martyr for Even Less

That album is absolutely amazing. My vinyl copy showed up from Amazon on Friday and I've played it about 10 times already. Shabaka Hutchings is an incredibly talented artist and all his projects, whether it's solo work, Sons of Kemet, or The Comet Is Coming...are all wonderful. If the relaunched Impulse! can continue building a roster with artists of this caliber, they're going to be just fine. Very satisfied with most of the new releases I've heard so far.

12. Ray Cole

Ray Cole Senior Member

I went to see Jacob Collier's show in San Francisco last night. It was interesting to see how he's transitioning from his one-man-does-everything origins to a show in which he shares the stage with three other musicians. But more to the point of this thread, after the show, I was chatting with a friend who talked up Brad Mehldau's Taming the Dragon enough to get me to check it out on YouTube today. The first surprise is how electric it is! All the Mehldau I've heard up 'til now has been acoustic. Gotta say, I like the moody fusion he does here.

Erik B. and Starwanderer like this.
  13. hockman

hockman Forum Resident

My first ever Mosaic was the Mingus Complete Candid box. My most recent were the Django and Ahmad Jamal ones. There were quite a number of others in between.

Tribute likes this.
  14. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

15. Berthold

Berthold "When you swing....swing some more!" -- Th. Monk

Rembering him.

Nat Cole: After Midnight

[​IMG]

16. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

Monday Miles double-header . . . I always listen to these albums back-to-back . . .

[​IMG]
    1967/2014 Columbia ‎– 88883731591, Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab ‎– MFSL 2-435, Sony Music Commercial Music Group ‎– 88883731591
    2 × Vinyl, LP, 45 RPM, Album, Limited Edition, Numbered, Reissue, Remastered, Stereo

[​IMG]
    1968/2014 Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab ‎– MFSL 2-436, Columbia ‎– MFSL 2-436, Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab ‎– 88883731631, Columbia ‎– 88883731631
    2 × Vinyl, LP, 45 RPM, Album, Limited Edition, Numbered, Reissue, Remastered

vanhooserd, Erik B., crispi and 10 others like this.
  17. Berthold

Eddie Condon: Dr. Jazz 1

[​IMG]

Lonson likes this.
  18. Mook

Mook Forum Resident

I really need to hear this, seems like he's sat in with Aretha/King Curtis' drummer & bassist & had a bit of a jam with them.

Theloneliest Monk likes this.
  19. Berthold

Eddie Condon & Bud Freeman: The Commodore & Decca Records 7

[​IMG]

Lonson likes this.
  20. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

Downstairs, at my wife's request (she was running late and pretty frantic and wanted to chill down and said "play that singer;" that either means Hartman or Jose James, today it meant Hartman!)

"John Coltrane and Johnny Hartman," Impulse Japan SHM-CD this time.

[​IMG]

Followed by, upstairs on the main system
    "Duke Ellington Meets Coleman Hawkins/Duke Ellington and John Coltrane" Impulse 2 Fer, Universal Europe

[​IMG]

21. Berthold

Eddie Condon: The Townhall Concerts 2

[​IMG]

Lonson likes this.
  22. dangorange

dangorange Forum Resident

Such great albums.

SJR likes this.
  23. Berthold

Frank Kimbrough: Monk´s Dreams 5

[​IMG]

24. Six String

Six String Senior Member

NP Andrew Cyrille, Wadada Leo Smith, Bill Frisell - Labroba. (ECM)

Waking up music, teacup in hand....

25. Morbius

Morbius Forum Resident

I bought this album on whim and was pleasantly surprised, made me want to hear more from Andrew Cyrille. I could only find one other record of his on vinyl - Ode To The Living Tree from 1994, completely different but excellent in its own right. Just got done listening to it a few minutes ago. Also piqued my interest in Bill Frisell so I picked up Nashville, Small Town and Music Is. All have a varied style but still very interesting.

Ray Cole and Six String like this.