Listenin' to Jazz and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Sep 1, 2016.

1. scottpaul_iu

scottpaul_iu Forum Resident

Cecil Taylor - The Great Paris Concert

[​IMG]

2. AxiomAcoustics

AxiomAcoustics "The enemy is listening"

Peter Brotzmann and Jason Adasiewicz: Mollie's In The Mood

Peter Brotzmann: Alto & Tenor Saxophone, b-flat Clarinet, Tarogato
    Jason Adasiewicz: Vibraphone

I love duets and Brotz does a large number of them, unafraid of the empty spaces to be filled or unfilled. Make it with vibes, one of my favorite instruments in any genre, played by a contemporary master like Adasiewicz and it's sonic bliss. This duet works so well as the vibes create this otherworldly bed of sound and resonance over which the horns of Peter roam, poking through, hiding, riding the wave if you will. The Hungarian Tarogato works especially well in this setting. Together eliciting an almost psychedelic feeling.

Their second release as a duo on Brotzmann's BRO Records label, the first being a tour-only hand-made CD offering. This one is a lovely RTI-pressed LP complete with a hand-pulled screen printed tip-on sleeve by Alan Sherry @ Siwa here in Portland with cover art by Brotzmann, as is customary. Nicely captured live recording from the Hideout in Chicago. This may be my favorite format in which to listen to Peter now. I still love the trios such as with Parker/Drake and of course the large-format ensembles of the Chicago Tentet + but this setting has been producing some of his greatest, most sensitive and varied playing of a long and storied career. He's been touring and releasing duet's of various stripes regularly now for some time, often with drummers. At 78 (!) years young now and playing as good as ever, here's to "no nothing".

[​IMG]

Back Cover:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Stu02, bluemooze, jay.dee and 5 others like this.
  3. AxiomAcoustics

Nice catch! As I mentioned upthread this pic (which covers two full pages) in the William Claxton photog book does not credit who the subject is, the only one in the book that way I believe.

And, interesting and cooly coincidental that you and vanhooserd posted consecutive posts. Ben Carruthers stared in John Cassavetes' first film "Shadows", for which the composition "Self-Portrait In Three Colors" that appears on Ah Um was written, but never used. You can't make this stuff up.

Ray Cole, sberger and vanhooserd like this.
  4. Yesternow

Yesternow Forum pResident

Lanquidity always gives me a hankerin' for a Mai Tai for some reason.

Lanquidity was released in 78.
    It's not representative of Sun Ra's sound... but it's the one I like the most.
    I understand how irritating that is for a fan - having someone who's not a fan saying that a more comercial/different album is his best. Sorry for that, but
    That's how I feel

5. AxiomAcoustics

Great album and great to see some risk-taking from ORG and especially for RSD. I've had this concert on the Fuel CD (as Student Studies) for years (released in 2003) so nice to have this 2xLP, which sounds great. I was quite disappointed in the packaging department thogh. ORG (not to be confused with the other ORG, which has excellent packaging) has been pretty lax in this respect but this one seems especially cheap and flimsy, especially to house 2 LP's. Honestly, when I picked it up that day I expected it to be a gatefold based on it's feel and price. Would rather have a nicer sleeve and black vinyl but the white is certainly cool.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2019
  6. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

No disrepectable house in the nation was complete without at least one spoon or fork from the Horn & Hardart Automat. It showed you had made it to the Big Apple.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

peter1, bluemooze, JRM and 1 other person like this.
  7. AxiomAcoustics

Oh, don't get me wrong, I love ALL of Ra's output and periods. That's what makes him especially fascinating. And, I also love this album (Lanquidity) and his more "exotica" based material. (I love Esquivel and the like BTW) That was a quip, not an attack. Easy brutha.

And, you may really like this, I know I do:

[​IMG]

Erik B., bluemooze, jay.dee and 3 others like this.
  8. ATR

ATR Senior Member

This album has had an extensive publication history. The best I can put together is that it was part of that BYG Actuel series for which famously the artists received almost nothing in payment for their work. The original pressings that I have of the BYG catalog are not very good. The Cecil Taylor album in question was known as Student Studies, and the copy I happen to have is a UK version under the label name Affinity, where a lot of the BYG catalog was also published. The album has become known as The Great Paris Concert and issued by Freedom and Black Lion. The Fuel CD's are also another reissue of that same BYG catalog. Cecil Taylor - Student Studies The Great Paris Concert, or Student Studies, is an excellent performance by the ensemble that later became The Cecil Taylor Unit as a trio with Lyons and Cyrille but without a bass. I'm spinning the Affinity LP right now and it sounds darn good in fact, despite the fact that the second side is mislabeled as an Archie Shepp album. Dig this video of the Student Studies ensemble made around the time the album was recorded.

9. AxiomAcoustics

I noticed the convoluted release history when I was trying to unpack this reissue. Not surprising for those BYG albums though I guess. So many different covers, originally a 2xlp, then 1xLP in 2 volumes etc. Very confusing. My Fuel CD was licensed by Varese Sarabande and distributed by Universal, surprisingly. There are no engineering/production credits whatsoever.

An Archie Shepp label?! That may be worth some money. :) Great clip, wish the quality were better.

ATR and scottpaul_iu like this.
  10. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

They did a great job on this. Sounds fantastic. I agree with the packaging criticism. If you're going to reissue a title like this, give it the full deluxe treatment.

11. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

One of my favorite Cecil Taylor recordings. And I think one of the least sufficiently celebrated.

NorthNY Mark, ATR and scottpaul_iu like this.
  12. AxiomAcoustics

Something similar to the Resonance releases would have been nice, and appropriate.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2019
    sberger likes this.
  13. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

Very excited to know I’ll be seeing Herr Brotzmann on June 11th in a duo with Andrew Cyrille

Ray Cole, sberger and AxiomAcoustics like this.
  14. AxiomAcoustics

All this CT talk has me cranking this right now. Damn.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. AxiomAcoustics

Vision Fest? You have no idea how much I'd like to catch that. I wish they would tour, he's out right now with Leigh on a short stint. I really hope someone will be recording that gig.

Dahabenzapple likes this.
  16. Dahabenzapple

Yes Vision Fest first night celebrating the career of Andrew Cyrille

Also Andrew will be doing what appears to be short duets with both Edward “Kidd” Jordan and Milford Graves - among others but for me the appearances of these legendary musicians made this an immediate must attend and I already have my tickets:)

Stu02, sberger, ATR and 1 other person like this.
  17. Dahabenzapple

Last time I saw Brotzmann was in a trio with Jason & Hamid Drake. It was at Judson Church so the drums were lost in the air but Peter sounded magnificent. I think it was 2014 or 2015.

AxiomAcoustics likes this.
  18. AxiomAcoustics

:faint:

19. AxiomAcoustics

That's a dream lineup for me. Last two for me were the DLAD Trio w/Parker/Drake and the "Mental Shake" quartet w/Addy/Edwards/Noble. Been too long. It's tougher for them to tour out here economically as the distances are so great as compared to the NE.

Dahabenzapple likes this.
  20. xybert

xybert Forum Resident

Stan Getz - Jazz Samba + Jazz Samba Encore!

Picked this up yesterday when i was out and about. To be honest, it was kind of a half hearted purchase. You know that vibe when you're in a store and there's nothing that you *really* want but you don't want to leave empty handed? I saw this album as i was leaving and i wasn't crazy for it but figured that i should fill this gap in my Getz collection, but even then i was less than enthusiastic.

So i get home and commenced ripping it to my computer, then i had a listen from start to finish while i did some work. Thought it was pretty meh, fine but i could have lived without it. Never mind, on the 'shelf' it goes.

But later in the day i decided to listen to it again. And then again. And man has it grabbed me now. Attentive listening pays dividends! It's so easy with relatively 'smooth' albums to not listen properly, an easy trap to fall in.

[​IMG]

21. Dahabenzapple

I’ve never seen Edwards & Noble. I’m seeing young Brandon Lopez on bass tonight and he might be the closest thing to a younger John Edwards. With Dave Rempis & a drummer I don’t know. ETA - 3 hours:)

22. ATR

ATR Senior Member

I recall your saying that, and I in listening to it today for the first time in a long time I was a bit disappointed. Maybe you like the sound of the recording and the separation of the instruments. You can hear the individual parts well, and Cyrille plays a lot of cymbal and what sounds like bells. I didn't feel truly engaged until side 4 when they dig in a little harder, faster, and deeper. By '69 the Unit did not include bass but did include a second horn in the person of Sam Rivers that did the three album set Cecil Taylor - Nuits De La Fondation Maeght - 29 Juillet 69 Also released on Prestige as The Great Concert of Cecil Taylor and not to be confused with The Great Paris Concert. I have gotten excited more than once at the prospect of having this on CD until I realize once again that I'm looking at Student Studies and not Fondation Maeght. This is much more akin to what I experienced the night I saw the trio at The Five Spot for the first time in 1973. I mean they get on it and lock in from the get go.

sberger likes this.
  23. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

I'm shocked at how little the SF/Bay Area see's of performances like this, and so envious of the shows that I see happening in the NYC area, seemingly on a daily basis.

24. JRM

JRM Forum Resident

[​IMG]

“I had been listening around and I liked what some of the jazz musicians were doing with this thing. But I decided I wanted to put more grease to it, more of a blues feeling, more sensuality. We were moanin’ more than most of the others who play bossa nova. We made it soft - and soulful.”
    • Ike Quebec - tenor saxophone
    • Kenny Burrell - guitar
    • Wendell Marshall - bass
    • Willie Bobo - drums
    • Garvin Masseaux - chekere
    SACD

25. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

NP "What Is There To Say?" by The Gerry Mulligan Quartet.

Gerry Mulligan - baritone saxophone
    Art Farmer - trumpet
    Bill Crow - bass
    Dave Bailey - drums

[​IMG]