Listenin' to Jazz and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Sep 1, 2016.

1. Stan Getz really has adapted this rhythm and the easy mood of that brazillian music style. Great combinations are also with Bob Brookmeyer and Astrud Gilberto as well as with Jao Gilberto.

Erik B. likes this.
  2. xybert

xybert Forum Resident

I hope that my post didn't imply that i'd never seen or heard mention of Jazz Samba. :)

But i am admittedly a slow learner, and i'll often belatedly glom on to albums or artists that have been posted right in front of me for years. :) If i don't mention it, take it as a given that i give props to all who have posted about it previously.

Jazz Samba is probably not the best example because it's a pretty well known album, but there are definitely the "hey check out this album i've literally never heard of prior to discovering it all by myself today" posts where it's like, "Heeeeeeey, i posted about that album last week. Are you telling me you weren't paying attention?" :)

I know i've probably done it, and if it's annoyed anyone: no offence intended. I do try to keep track and give props for recommendations when relevant, but it's pretty hard to keep track of everything that's posted quite honestly.

I think with music there is a tendency for people, mostly subconsciously, to want to discover music for themselves rather than have it recommended to them. I've definitely felt like i've known people who have eschewed artists that i'm almost certain that they would like, seemingly because they didn't get there first among their social group. If that's a bit much, it really can just simply boil down to "you can lead a horse to water..." And if even that's a bit much, often people are just being human and not paying attention. :)

I do try to check out a lot of the albums that get posted here that i'm not familiar with, but a lot of the time i don't, at least not right away. Sometimes i just make a mental note to check it out at a future date.

@Yesternow i've never heard of Sweet Rain. Is it any good? (*flash forward to a month from now when i post about having discovered this album called Sweet Rain that no one ever talks about*)

Obviously just joking, Sweet Rain is prized in my collection. :)

I've probably told this story before, but Captain Marvel was one of the first jazz albums that i really got in to. I thrashed it, and was also a huge Chick Corea fan so Sweet Rain followed not long after. But at the time i never really explored much further with Getz for some strange reason. Maybe in those early days of listening to and collecting jazz, having 2 albums by an artist was still a lot. A few years ago i realised the error of my ways and went on a big Getz catch-up binge, but for the Samba/Bossa years i just bought a Verve compilation to cover it (i used to own Getz/Gilberto but had traded it and didn't feel like re-buying it at the time).

Anyway, apologies for the ramble. You got me thinking. :) Cheers.

PS Just a random thought on Jazz Samba: I usually consider myself to have eclectic tastes and will jump straight from listening to Coleman Hawkins to Tim Berne or whatever, but sometimes i can't do that. Jazz Samba is an example of an album where on first listen it was just too sickly sweet for me. I had to go give it a few listens to acclimatise to it's atmosphere, and once i did i started to get it.

3. Kevin Davis

Kevin Davis EQUIPMENT PROFILE INCOMPLETE

Triple!

Erik B. likes this.
  4. Xelfo

Xelfo Forum Resident

I've seen posts and maybe even ebay listings of "Jazz Samba", but I don't have it.
    What I have is this
    [​IMG]

And when I first played it I just could not listen to the end. As xybert mentioned about "Jazz Samba" - style too sweet. Same here for me. Maybe, it's because I'm not into all this latino & bossa nova thing so much.
    I put this CD away for a couple of years to gather some dust. I gave another listen to it recently and it was OK, but nothing more.
    Well, didn't enjoy it as other Getz albums, but I payed only £1 at the thrift shop for it, so I'm not that worried.

About checking out albums posted by others... I do it sometimes, but not very often, because I have a large amount of albums on my "want list", so adding more and more would be disastrous to my common sense.

5. jamo spingal

jamo spingal Forum Resident

bluemooze, sberger, Moebius and 3 others like this.
  6. JRM

JRM Forum Resident

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Giving these a listen this morning, both recorded at the same January 3, 1958 session.
    • Gene Ammons - tenor saxophone
    • Jerome Richardson - flute
    • John Coltrane - alto saxophone
    • Paul Quinichette - tenor saxophone
    • Pepper Adams - baritone saxophone
    • Mal Waldron - piano
    • George Joyner - bass
    • Art Taylor - drums
    CD

peter1, bluemooze, Erik B. and 2 others like this.
  7. ATR

ATR Senior Member

True. I do not know Dennis Warren. I did see a fantastic performance of free jazz last night of pianist Steve Lantner's ensemble with Allan Chase saxophone, Luther Gray drums, and Ellwood Epps trumpet at The Outpost in Inman Square.

A lot of musicians went through the Cecil Taylor Unit after the trio with Andrew Cyrille broke up. But Jimmy Lyons always stayed with him. The band with Malik and Ameen is best known for its recordings with Ronald Shannon Jackson playing drums as well as with a duo of Jerome Cooper and Sunny Murray. Jerome was recording for About Time during the period that he was in the Unit and I know that they toured without Sunny Murray also. Rashid Bakr (Charles Downs), Steve McCall, Beaver Harris, David S. Ware, Hannibal, and of course Ronald Shannon Jackson. They all played in the group at various times, some for longer periods than others.

AxiomAcoustics likes this.
  8. ATR

ATR Senior Member

I figured that. The music is not as densely polyphonic as some of his other work. That recording is somewhat of a departure for the band. The slower, more lyric as you call them, interludes are always there but in different proportions perhaps. What I heard yesterday on Student Studies was four individuals and not the unity and shared purpose I usually experience listening to Cecil Taylor. It's something that exists above and beyond what they're playing, like hearing how each one of them is individually solving a shared musical conundrum. That's what drew me in when I heard the group live. I saw them at The Village Gate in the 70's and people were gathered around the piano shouting. It was like a gospel church service.

NorthNY Mark likes this.
  9. crispi

crispi Vinyl Archaeologist

Interesting that when they reproduced the original cover photo for the gatefold, they still decided to airbrush out Mr. Alfred Lion:

[​IMG]

10. Yesternow

Yesternow Forum pResident

Today, playing a very avant-garde Larry Young.

[​IMG]

I'm not a fan of Organ Jazz, but it sounds different in this context.

Adventurous.

bluemooze, Erik B., alarickc and 7 others like this.
  11. Six String

Six String Senior Member

I'll second your recommendation on Lisa Mezzacapa. She comes to Sacramento a few times a year. In fact I feel we're kind of due for a show. She's really exceptional in my book. Another Bay Area artist to look for is Rent Romus. He was in town a month or so ago with Vinny Golia which was really special.

AxiomAcoustics likes this.
  12. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Here's a group that I wished I saw live. Amazing music with amazing musicians.

[​IMG]

13. Carter DeVries

Carter DeVries Forum Resident

NP: 12:00pm
    One of the (just added) crown jewels of my reissue collection.

John Coltrane – A Love Supreme 45 rpm LP
    Blue Note/Analogue Production AIPJ 77 (recorded 1964)

tenor sax – John Coltrane
    piano – McCoy Tyner
    bass – Jimmy Garrison
    drums – Elvin Jones

[​IMG]

Mugrug12, bluemooze, Erik B. and 14 others like this.
  14. StarThrower62

StarThrower62 Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Released 2003

Andy Milne - piano keyboards
    Bruce Cockburn - guitar, vocals
    David Gilmore - guitar
    Sean Rickman - drums
    Rich Brown - bass
    Gregoire Maret - harmonica

bluemooze and Carter DeVries like this.
  15. Carter DeVries

Carter DeVries Forum Resident

From a purely photographic perspective it makes sense. It’s a far better image without Alfred’s partial torso. Historically though....yeah.

16. Robitjazz

Robitjazz Forum Resident

BN sound and bossanova with the trumpet of Kenny Dorham:

17. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

Akira Sakata & Chikamorachi

featuring Masahiko Satoh

Proton Pump

Sakata on alto saxophone, clarinet & vocalizing
    Satoh on piano

Chikamorachi is:

Chris Corsano on drums
    Darin Gray on double bass

Recorded live @ The Pit Inn in Tokyo in October 19, 2015

Stunning very high energy improvisations

On Family Vineyard Records

sberger, Starwanderer and jay.dee like this.
  18. Robitjazz

Robitjazz Forum Resident

Just a taste before...Now Kenny Dorham with Jackie McLean in San Francisco:

Not Una Mas but Us.

Mugrug12, bluemooze, Erik B. and 4 others like this.
  19. crispi

crispi Vinyl Archaeologist

Definitely made sense, yes.

Carter DeVries likes this.
  20. Eric S

Eric S Well-Known Member

Last night I listened to John Coltrane - A Love Supreme and The Dave Brubeck Quartet - Time Out. Both were the redbook layer on the Analogue Productions Hybrid SACDs. Absolutely fantastic! :)

Ray Cole, bluemooze, Erik B. and 7 others like this.
  21. StarThrower62

StarThrower62 Forum Resident

22. Dan Steele

Dan Steele Senior Member

A recent used bin buy that I am very happy to own. A 1965 date where you get Jackie McLean near his peak and Lee Morgan AND Charles Tolliver. The trumpet players split the 5 tunes, playing with Jackie on 2 each but on track 3, the Morgan composition Soft Blue, all 3 play. My favorite track is Tolliver’s On the Nile, a 12 min modal stroll with Mclean and Tolliver soloing several times. When they play the bridge together the phrasing between Tolliver and Mclean horns is so perfect it makes it hard to listen to anything else. Whole album is good though. The content is also on the Jackie McLean Complete Blue Note Recordings 1964-66. As a side note this is one of those Blue Note albums that sat in the vault for 10 years and wasn’t released until 1975, hard to believe there could be any objection to this music!

[​IMG]

Monroro, mcwlod, Tim 2 and 20 others like this.
  23. frightwigwam

frightwigwam Talented Amateur

Some afternoon jazz-funk

Bubbha Thomas & The Lightmen, "Survival Song," from the 1975 album Country Fried Chicken.

Reissued last year, along with the rest of The Lightmen (or The Lightmen Plus One) catalogue, by Now-Again Records.

24. G L Tirebiter

G L Tirebiter Forum Resident

I know Im late to the party but...why asking questions? Enjoy!

Athalwolf likes this.
  25. AxiomAcoustics

AxiomAcoustics "The enemy is listening"

New book on Detroit Jazz coming in May. The cover itself is worth the purchase:

[​IMG]

Table of Contents:
    Preface
    A Note on Sources And Recordings

Part One: Setting The Stage
    Jazz In Detroit, 1900-1950

Part Two: The Golden Age, 1940-60
    Opening Chorus
    Gerald Wilson: Head and Heart
    Yusef Lateef: Gentle Giant
    Milt Jackson: Bag's Groove
    Sheila Jordan: Sheila's Blues
    Barry Harris: Professor Of Bebop
    Tommy Flanagan: A Legendary Touch
    Kenny Burrell: Community Builder
    Donald Byrd: Renaissance Man
    Ronald Hanna: Magician
    Curtis Fuller: Trombone on Top
    Louis Hayes: The (Cymbal) Beat Goes On
    Ron Carter: The Right Note at the Right Time
    Joe Henderson: The Phantom
    Charles McPherson: Reminiscing by Ear

Part Three: The Jones Brothers
    Opening Chorus
    Hank Jones: One Extra Ace
    Thad Jones: Jonesisms
    Elvin Jones: Philosopher King

Part Four: Taking Control—Self Determination in the 1960s and '70s
    Opening Chorus
    Detroit Artists Workshop, Detroit Creative Musicians Association, Focus Novii, Contemporary Jazz Quintet and Strata Corporation
    Tribe
    Coda

Part Five: Marcus Belgrave And His Children
    Marcus Belgrave: The Nurturer
    Geri Allen: Back to the Future
    Kenny Garrett: Sound and Spirit
    Regina Carter: Searching for Roots
    Gerald Cleaver: The Big Picture
    Robert Hurst: Platonic Ideal
    Rodney Whitaker: Family Man
    James Carter: Volcano
    Karriem Riggins: Dual Identity

Part Six: Tradition And Transition In The 21st Century
    Opening Chorus
    Present and Future: Ralphe Armstrong, Marion Hayden, Michael Malis, Marcus Elliot
    Coda

Appendix A: Jazz Musicians From Detroit
    Appendix B: List of Interviews
    Ackowledgments
    Index

RELEASE DATE: May 17th, 2019