Listenin' to Jazz and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Sep 1, 2016.

1. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

Congrats. You certainly won't regret the music, or the sonics on the JSP box. Just to be clear, there are sleeve notes, but I don't think it has ANY of the kind of discography or sessionography type of info -- no session dates, musicians, etc. IIRC (the box is out in my car at the moment otherwise I'd look, I can't remember, I do remember the type being very small and never ever bothering to read any of the notes that are present). But you can find all that stuff as or more detailed than anything you'd get in a liner note online anyway.

Theloneliest Monk likes this.
  2. Berthold

Berthold "When you swing....swing some more!" -- Th. Monk

The Savoy Bebop Sessions: listening to Fats Navarro

[​IMG]

rxcory, Moebius, bluemooze and 2 others like this.
  3. Dan Steele

Dan Steele Senior Member

That Tones for Joan’s Bones post got you thinking about Inner Space, huh?

4. Berthold

Yes! And I like both - some years ago I had this douple LP set….

Dan Steele likes this.
  5. Berthold

Jimmy Raney: Visits Paris 2

[​IMG]

JazzcornerND, bluemooze and JRM like this.
  6. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

On the turntable, first listen to "Gil Evans - New Bottle, Old Wine" on Blue Note Tone Poet.

Gil Evans - piano, arranger, conductor
    Cannonball Adderley - alto saxophone (soloist)
    Johnny Coles, Louis Mucci, Ernie Royal (tracks 1-3, 5 & 6), Clyde Reasinger (tracks 4, 7 & 8) - trumpet
    Joe Bennet, Frank Rehak, Tom Mitchell - trombone
    Julius Watkins - french horn
    Harvey Phillips (tracks 1, 2, 5 & 6), Bill Barber (tracks 3, 4, 7 & 8) - tuba
    Jerry Sanfino (tracks 1, 2, 5 & 6), Phil Bodner (tracks 3, 4, 7 & 8) - reeds
    Chuck Wayne - guitar
    Paul Chambers - bass
    Philly Joe Jones (track 3), Art Blakey (tracks 1, 2 & 4-8) - drums

"St. Louis Blues" (W. C. Handy)
    "King Porter Stomp" (Jelly Roll Morton)
    "Willow Tree" (Fats Waller, Andy Razaf)
    "Struttin' With Some Barbeque" (Lil Armstrong)
    "Lester Leaps In" (Lester Young)
    "'Round Midnight" (Thelonious Monk)
    "Manteca!" (Dizzy Gillespie, Gil Fuller, Babs Gonzales)
    "Bird Feathers" (Charlie Parker)

[​IMG]

rxcory, Stu02, Starwanderer and 8 others like this.
  7. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Yes, with reservations that as I mentioned in the other post that it isn't as out as Dolphy's recordings under his own name and the compositions and arrangements are the stars here not a bunch of hot soloing. Are you familiar with Gunther Schuller? If you like his music you will like this. I wouldn't pay silly money for it.

Last edited: May 19, 2019
    Dr-Sardonicus likes this.
  8. JRM

JRM Forum Resident

[​IMG]

One 1954 session and two from 1955 make up this Jimmy Raney album, titled simply A. I've been spinning several Raney albums over the last couple days and this one is still my favorite.
    • Jimmy Raney - guitar
    • Hall Overton - piano
    • John Wilson - trumpet
    • Teddy Kotick - bass
    • Nick Stabulas - drums
    Universal/Prestige SHM-CD

JazzcornerND, Berthold and bluemooze like this.
  9. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

This is the same thing for me. I only discovered it about the five years ago but now it is absolutely essential Miles for me.

rxcory, jhershauer and Yesternow like this.
  10. Six String

Six String Senior Member

np Stanley Cowell - Blues For The Viet Cong (Arista)
    Trio recording and one of my favorites by Cowell.

Soulpope and bluemooze like this.
  11. Berthold

Jimmy Raney: Quintet

[​IMG]

JRM and JazzcornerND like this.
  12. Berthold

Johnny Smith: Walk Don´t Run

[​IMG]

rxcory, vanhooserd, Erik B. and 2 others like this.
  13. This is a well know foto appearing also on my 45RPM . This EP belongs to my first recordings I bought some 65 years ago and brings back reminiscences.
    Thanks for that

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Berthold and JRM like this.
  14. edo.t

edo.t Forum Resident

I'd sure like a good reissue of this one. I regret passing on a Japanese mini-LP CD last time I was there...

Mugrug12 likes this.
  15. Some of my very few VORTEX label LP's

The Keith Jarret Trio recorded live at Shelly's Mann Hole in October 1968 with Charlie Haden (b) and Paul Motian (dr)
    Recording engineer: Bill Halverson

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. .... and the same great Trio again on this one

Very strange however that on the reissue from Japan by the WARNER-BROS.-PIONEER Corporation the ATLANTIC label appears inside

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. fabre

fabre Forum Resident

That is interesting. I have the 3x 10" LP reissue which I think is the same as yours appart from the session takes on LP 2 & 3.
    https://www.amazon.fr/Ascenseur-lÉchafaud-Triple-Vinyles-limitée/dp/B075DRGRQ5/
    It was discounted a few weeks ago (about 19€). I had a similar problem with track 1 one side A. The difference is that the defect is visible. There was something stuck in the vinyl (looked like glue) and it looked a little like someone had tried to set it on fire (I can't find a better description). I had opened the package a little late and so I didn't bother to replace it. Bummer, because other than that it really sounds great.

18. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

Holy crap, I was shopping for groceries when I realized I was listening to, through the store system, Miles Davis's "Shhh/Peaceful" from IN A SILENT WAY. And, yes, this was a major chain.

19. AxiomAcoustics

AxiomAcoustics "The enemy is listening"

:blah: Alert.

The State Of The Tenor Volumes 1 & 2: The Joe Henderson Trio

Joe Henderson: Tenor Saxophone
    Ron Carter: Bass
    Al Foster: Drums & Percussion (my addition)

Recorded at the Village Vanguard November 14th-16th, 1985

I got a call from a local shop yesterday that my copy of the new Tone Poet LP of Volume 2 of this release had arrived but it’s been a crazy few days and did not get a chance to pick it up yet so last evening I decided to pull these two volumes out of the original CD issues for a little refresher as I had not listened to them for years I’m sure. What a mistake. To have not listened to them, not to have pulled them out. I was knocked out by how good these are both musically and sonically, so now I’m looking forward even more to getting this latest release. Too bad the first volume was issued as part of the Blue Note 75th series as this would have made a fantastic 2LP gatefold release in this series.

Sonics:
    This run was engineered by the late great David Baker and assisted by one of his acolytes, the equally great Jim Anderson. Yes, it’s a somewhat early digital recording, and it sounds fantastic. No digititis, no brightness. In fact, it almost hews toward the darker side of the sonic spectrum. I know that when I can (or need) to set my line stage gain at around the 60 mark it’s an indication that there is minimal use of overall dynamic range compression and no dreaded peak normalization and these recordings demand a healthy rightward crank of the volume knob. Not to make them loud, they never become “loud”, they just open up, sing, and become alive. All instruments are rendered beautifully and they all occupy their own proper space and depth. Presentation is more mid-club rather than on-stage, giving it a more realistic presentation. There’s detail for sure but it’s realistic detail that layers properly, another indication that this was well-recorded and well mastered.

For instance, I added “Percussion” to Al Foster’s listing despite it not being on the credits. There are several times where he’s playing temple blocks in a very tasteful manner, tonally comping with the rest of the trio and it’s at the perfect, whisper-soft volume, making you listen, and smile once you’ve realized it. It retains the level and nuance of what Al originally played. Contrast this with a more recent modern recording from the same venue of another trio, the great Fred Hersch Trio with Drew Gress and Tom Rainey. On that album, which is significantly louder in it’s mastering, every thing Rainey (one of my favorite modern-day drummers) is pushed up in the mix to the same level as everything else he does. If he plays on his hi-hat stand (not a typo) to incorporate a unique sonority to something you won’t miss it, but it’s also not true to the music. I guess this is just my long-winded way of praising how great this Joe Henderson set is on CD alone, at least in it’s original issue (can’t vouch for any reissues) so I’nm getting very excited to hear what this new Tone Poet version sounds like.

[​IMG]

Music:
    I’m on record as loving horn trios and live recordings so this ticks all the boxes but it’s sometimes easy to overlook because after all, it’s “80’s Jazz”, and not Joe Henderson during his Blue Note “prime”, and it’s before his big “comeback”. Wipe all that: this is prime Joe Henderson laid bare in an open trio setting in stellar voice with an equally great pair of partners in Carter and Foster. I’m sure the comparison has been used to the iconic trio recordings of Sonny Rollins from the same venue during the same month in 1957 and that is fitting and no faint praise. Like that date the Henderson recordings contain a mix of covers and originals but the choice of those covers is unique and telling. First off, this set kicks of with Sam River’s “Beatrice”, a gorgeous ballad that made Mrs Ax ask: “I know this, what’s this tune called?” A new-modern standard if there ever was one. We also get three Thelonious Monk tunes amid the 12 tracks of the original 2 volumes but not the same old Monk tunes you’d expect. There’s “Friday The 13th”, “Ask Me Now” and “Boo Boo’s Birthday”, which kicks off Volume 2. Add in smart, adventurous readings of tunes by Ellington, Parker, Horace Silver and Mingus and you’ve got one sweet program, not to mention Henderson tunes like “Isotope” and, for me maybe the non-ballad highlight of this set, “The Bead Game”, which closes Volume 2 of the new LP reissue, all glorious 10 minutes of it where Henderson gets in a little OutBop overblowing and the band starts to churn. I would have liked about 20 minutes on this one.

How does it play out? Despite this having been recorded over a three night run the two volumes unfold like two sets from a single night wit the second “set” being a tough more exploratory, as you’d normally expect during the second and later set.

If you’ve been thinking that you may pass this Tone Poet up because it’s not “Classic Blue Note” you’ll be missing out on some “Classic Blue Note”. And if you don’t do vinyl, it’s probably obvious that IMO the original CD issues sound incredible so don’t miss this music in any format. Based on past (bad) experience I’ll not be buying the 75th vinyl of Volume 1, the CD sounds that good. Again, this would have made a great 2 volume set.

[​IMG]

(Thanks for the indulgence, I had to put something down on this music as it’s so good and after listening to these last night I had a hard time getting to sleep with all this cloggin’ my noggin’.)

Dignan2000, Ray Cole, Stu02 and 12 others like this.
  20. AxiomAcoustics

That's a ood one, and ticks the Elvin box as well. I'm a Priester fan and coincidentally, just listened to this the other day, a piano and trombone duet recital on the CIMP label. Another one of those recordings that demands a healthy amount of gain due to it's recording aesthetic. A grat sounding and engaging listen.

Are there any other CIMP fanes here? You rarely see the label mentioned, even by me admittedly despite have quite a few of their recordings.

[​IMG]

Starwanderer and bluemooze like this.
  21. AxiomAcoustics

Thanks for this , very cool. So I'm not crazy in bringing this up :) Just one of those pairings/meetings that seems like they would have been a given but never happened, and never will. You woul;dn't happen to have a link to this full interview would you? Not long ago I purged a healthy stash of back catalog mags to show that I could and no longer have these eras of Jazz mags.

22. AxiomAcoustics

I do! On vinyl and CD, a bit of a Dolphy nut as you may expect, and agreed, those duet portions on that set are sublime. I've actually repeated them multiple times.

In the related but not related department: There are also a series of wonderful dute recordings on the Steeplechase label of Richard Davis and Walt Dickerson. Not to be missed by fans of either.

Stu02 likes this.
  23. AxiomAcoustics

Speaking of this masterul album, does anyone notice anything odd in the footwear department?

24. AxiomAcoustics

Ans I call myself a Zorn-o-phile. Thanks for mentioning this, looks great and what a who's who of Downtowners. Lots of Tom Rainey too, who I just mentioned in my Henserson post. Gotta get tims for sure.

25. fabre

fabre Forum Resident

Thanks for taking the time writing up your thoughts on this music. I am not that well-versed with Jazz yet but I am all the more excited now on getting my copy soon (it will still take about 3 weeks).

AxiomAcoustics and Mugrug12 like this.