Listenin' to Jazz and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Sep 1, 2016.

1. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

My total with shipping came to $106. My local is charging $160. So it was a no brainer for me.

AxiomAcoustics and Tim 2 like this.
  2. Six String

Six String Senior Member

NP Cal Tjader - Latin Kick (Fantasy) brown label
    With Brew Moore on tenor sax.

Note on drum circle, it just started pouring down rain and wind so the drum circle will not be happening unless we take it indoors. It's unseasonably cool too. Who knew we'd be dealing with cold and rain in mid May.

rxcory, BluTom, Erik B. and 1 other person like this.
  3. SteveD.

SteveD. Forum Resident

Mine has the sticker. Always wondered about that.

4. Theloneliest Monk

Theloneliest Monk Forum Resident

Is the box tall or long (i.e. deep)? From the pics of a set for sale on eBay that I was checking out it looked like the box was long (depthwise comparable to the depth of a Mosaic box) but vertically short (perhaps about half the height of a Mosaic box). If instead the box is tall and shallow (perhaps similar to the style of boxes on some of the reissued non-metal spine versions of the Miles Davis Complete series of boxes, such as the Quintet set that is in @yesternow’s pic a few posts above this one) it would fit into my current storage scheme better and I’d consider cancelling my order for the other box and get this one instead.

5. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

We hit 90 yesterday, 11 degrees above average. 90 in May is nicer that 90 in July because it cools down more at night.

6. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

It's both really. The printing of the outer slipcase is set up for "Long" and the "album" booklet inside is set up to open "wide". . . . It will work for your current storage scheme.

Amazon's photos will show you: https://www.amazon.fr/Complete-Five...ds=B00004WK37&qid=1558311572&s=gateway&sr=8-1

7. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I can understand the thought that the sound quality of a particular reissue of 1920's 78s shouldn't matter because "we are talking about stuff from the 1920s after all", BUT the methods and source discs used to transfer recordings from 78 to either CD or LP make a tremendous difference.

With respect to the Hot Fives and Hot Sevens, some reissues are absolutely horrendous, and may sound completely muffled or may have a trumpet sound that doesn't sound anything like a trumpet.

This has been the case for reissues of 78s from any time period (1900 - 1955), some are great, some are terrible. Often, if you have a poor version, you would never know, unless you had a great version to compare it to. I would only follow your own ears, not those of reviews.

The latest SONY Hot Fives and Hot Sevens box was a long tall item, where the book was wide with a narrow binding, and it slipped inside of a cardboard/paper sleeve that stood vertically. That was an odd design.

Personally, I would buy the JSP version, which came both as individual CDs and as a slipcased version. If you really fall in love with the music, buy the SONY for the book and to have an alternate version. It may be personal preference which you like better

Tom Campbell and bluemooze like this.
  8. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

[​IMG]
    Nice small-ish band (7-10 players) sides. With "Ziggy" Elman, "Cootie" Williams, Jonah Jones & Harry James (tp), Lawrence Brown (tb), Johnny Hodges & Benny Carter (as), Vido Musso, Herschel Evans & "Budd" Johnson (ts), Jess Stacy (p), Allen Reuss (g) and Gene Krupa, "Cozy" Cole & Jo Jones (d). These sides are racially integrated, with players from the Basie, Ellington & Goodman bands. Hampton is featured on drums, piano & vocals as well as vibes.

9. JRM

JRM Forum Resident

[​IMG]

“There are times when Art is so much on fire that he almost drives you off the stand.” -Freddie Hubbard
    • Art Blakey – drums
    • Freddie Hubbard – trumpet
    • Curtis Fuller – trombone
    • Wayne Shorter – tenor saxophone
    • Cedar Walton – piano
    • Reggie Workman – bass
    Universal/Blue Note UHQCD

peter1, BluTom, Starwanderer and 10 others like this.
  10. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

On the turntable, first listen to "Donald Byrd - Stepping Into Tomorrow" remastered by Kevin Gray on Vinyl Me.

Donald Byrd - trumpet, flugelhorn, vocals
    Gary Bartz - alto sax, soprano sax, clarinet
    James Carter - whistler on "Rock And Roll Again"
    Mayuto Correa - congas
    Margie Evans, Kay Haith, Freddie Perren - background vocals
    Fonce Mizell - trumpet, clarinet, background vocals
    Jerry Peters - organ, piano
    John Rowin, David T. Walker - guitar
    Larry Mizell - Fender Rhodes, ARP synthesizers, background vocals
    Chuck Rainey - bass
    Harvey Mason - drums, bata drums
    Roger Sainte - percussion
    Ronghea Southern - guitar on "Think Twice"
    Stephanie Spruill - percussion, background vocals

"Stepping Into Tomorrow" (Larry Mizell) – 5:06
    "Design A Nation" (Mizell) – 4:19
    "We’re Together" (Mizell) – 4:23
    "Think Twice" (Sigidi, Mizell, Mbaji) – 6:10
    "Makin’ It" (Harvey Mason) – 3:46
    "Rock ‘N’ Roll Again" (Mizell) – 6:08
    "You Are The World" (Mizell) – 4:29
    "I Love The Girl" (Donald Byrd) – 3:52

[​IMG]

11. Theloneliest Monk

Interesting, I’d looked up as many pics as I could find of the set, found quite a few on eBay, but I never found one that clued me into the fact that there was an outer slipcase that would allow the long box to stand tall on the shelf alongside my small Mosaic collection. But, yeah, that pic there on Amazon shows the slipcase and it does satisfy my OCD worries over how the set would integrate into my current situation. Oh well, I’ve already ordered the JSP set and looks like it’s already shipped and is set to land at my house tomorrow, so I guess I’ll just stay the course. I suppose if I end up dissatisfied with the documentation in the JSP I could always return it to Amazon and get the other set (or go the Tribute route and get the other as well).

12. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

[​IMG]
    The first four tracks were issued on Thiele's Signature label in 1944 & were made with Oscar Pettiford (b) & Albert Casey (el g). Nine tracks are piano solos issued as 'Spontaneous Explorations', Contact CS-2, 1964. The final seven are with Richard Davis (b) & Elvin Jones (d), issued as 'Here Comes Earl "Fatha" Hines', Contact CS-6, 1966.

Soulpope, Berthold and johnnyb1964 like this.
  13. Theloneliest Monk

Man, I just got this VMP pressing recently, along with Al Green’s Call Me record of the month on the Classics track, and I thought it was amazing!!! That makes three (the third was Fancy Free) releases I’ve gotten from VMP now and they’ve all been incredible sounding, flawless pressings without a single tick, pop, or any discernible surface noise.

Last edited: May 19, 2019
  14. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

[​IMG]
    Another for my Previn collection. 'Camelot' is from 1960, eight tracks with Red Mitchell (b) & Frank Capp (d). 'Thinking of You' is from 1961, twelve shorter tracks with a string section and uncredited bass & drums. Collectables CD reissue from 1999.

15. johnnyb1964

johnnyb1964 Treats please!

[​IMG]

Quite afternoon. Wife’s sleeping on the couch. Some fantastic players on these sides and the pre-depression optimism shines through. “Singing the Blues” is a classic. Even better with the occasional snore! Enjoy your Sunday.

16. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

So great to hear music sounding this good. :)

Theloneliest Monk likes this.
  17. OldJohnRobertson

OldJohnRobertson Martyr for Even Less

That copy sounds great. I just hate that it’s 45 RPM. I despise getting up every 8 minutes to flip the side.

Theloneliest Monk and bluemooze like this.
  18. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

I'm 67 so the exercise is good for me. :)

19. Theloneliest Monk

Oh, and I’ve always been more of a “just give me plain ol’ black vinyl” type of person, but I have to admit that the color pattern of the vinyl for the VMP Steppin’ Into Tomorrow is really something to behold.

bluemooze likes this.
  20. Yes thanks. LP has the same content

21. OldJohnRobertson

OldJohnRobertson Martyr for Even Less

I’m really glad VMP reissued this because originals are ridiculously hard to find in good shape. It took me years to find a clean one. Most I’ve seen look like they were used for frisbee practice. It’s a testament to what a great album it is that so many folks who bought it in the 70s seemed to play the crap out of it. Either that, or the originals had a hype sticker that said “for best sound, back over this record with your car before playing.” :winkgrin:

That said, I’m in for a spin! This one remains the only clean original I’ve ever found. The jacket has some issues on the back, but the vinyl itself sounds fantastic and it has the original inner sleeve to boot! Once I got my hands on this one, I gave my VMP reissue to a friend.

So many of these 70s Blue Note releases get forgotten by contemporary jazz aficionados but there were some gems released during that time and this is definitely one of them!

Donald Byrd - Stepping Into Tomorrow
    1975, Blue Note Records

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

22. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

I love the 70’s Blue Note catalog (Steppin’ included, I have, I believe, a McMastered CD, but all the praise of the Vinyl Me Please has got me considering joining the fun just to check it out) ! Here’s to all the great 70’s Blue Notes I have yet to discover, I’m sure there are a lot. :cheers:

bluemooze and OldJohnRobertson like this.
  23. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

Disc 2

frightwigwam and fatwad666 like this.
  24. Berthold

Berthold "When you swing....swing some more!" -- Th. Monk

starting with

Billy Bauer "Plectrist"

[​IMG]

25. xybert

xybert Forum Resident

Big John Patton - Let Em Roll

First listen. This album has been on my want list for a very long time. According to Discogs, there's been no US CD reissue since 1993, no Japanese CD reissue since 2006. I'm getting 'the feels' a bit seeing it sitting on the desk in front of me.

This is an excellent album. I'm not that familiar with Patton or Finch, and they're excellent here of course... but this is essential for fans of Bobby Hutcherson and/or Grant Green. So happy to have this.

[​IMG]