Listenin' to Jazz and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Sep 1, 2016.

1. JRM and caio vaz like this.
  2. Robitjazz

Robitjazz Forum Resident

There's another one by the same serie.
    The title is "Meeting Mr. Thomas".

JRM likes this.
  3. Fender Relic

Fender Relic Forum Resident

Seller wanted rid of everything so if I wanted the prime cuts...Blue Note,Columbia,Impulse,etc. I had to take the ECM's as well. Not that it's a bad thing,I'm just not familiar with the label outside of Pat Metheny,Jarrett,Burton and a few others and that's even limited. I look at it as a listening education opportunity and if I don't jive with ECM's I'll pass them along to folks who love them.

Mugrug12, garrincha and Yesternow like this.
  4. frightwigwam

frightwigwam Talented Amateur

Oh, yeah. Hard to go wrong with Jarrett, Cecil McBee, and Jack DeJohnette. My favorites are Forest Flower, Charles Lloyd in Europe, The Flowering of the Original Charles Lloyd Quartet Recorded in Concert, and Dream Weaver.

jay.dee, Roger Thornhill and Mook like this.
  5. caio vaz

caio vaz Senior Member

Nice!! I know the Bud shank and trombones arranged by Cooper; Blowing country and the work with Oboé and Flute!

6. She was one of the few "exports" to the USA and made it there to a certain degree. I think this one was her first release under the own name on Blue Note

[​IMG]

BLUE NOTE 5056
    New Faces-New Sounds From Germany
    Jutta Hipp Quintet

Emil Mangelsdorff (as -1/5,7) Joki Freund (ts -1/6)
    Jutta Hipp (p) Hans Kresse (b) Karl Sanner (d)
    Frankfurt Am Main, West Germany, April 24, 1954

7. caio vaz

caio vaz Senior Member

Some late Wes..
    [​IMG]

8. JRM

JRM Forum Resident

It’s great, even better than The Real Cat...Listenin' to Jazz and Conversation

9. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

On the day I got married, I had a little time to kill, so I left the wedding place and ran down to the nearby record shop and bought some Chet Baker.

When our first kid was on the way, I put Chet on the short list of name ideas. My wife crossed it out.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 16, 2019
  10. Re Jutta Hipp

Two more (early Blue Notes) I havent seen here:

[​IMG]

BLUE NOTE BLP 1515
     Jutta Hipp At The Hickory House, Vol. 1
     Jutta Hipp (p) Peter Ind (b)
     Ed Thigpen (d)
     "Hickory House", NYC, April 5, 1956

and

[​IMG]

BLUE NOTE BLP 1516
     Jutta Hipp At The Hickory House, Vol. 2
     Jutta Hipp (p) Peter Ind (b)
     Ed Thigpen (d)
     "Hickory House", NYC, April 5, 1956

11. Fender Relic

Fender Relic Forum Resident

I hates to kiss and tell so let's just say somewhere between money land and thrift land. That's the sweet spot I like to be in so there's wiggle room for unforeseen vinyl condition issues and resell opportunities to recoup some of the initial cash outlay if there's doubles or unwanted titles. I already have a box of about a hundred that I won't even listen to let alone keep. Thankfully, I'm really filling some gaps in my collection though and listening to albums that I've never seen/heard. This 80's OJC LP for example just knocked me out and I never knew it existed before yesterday.

[​IMG]

12. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

In the USA, many people give their collections away.

I was talking to a friend recently who received the following:

One extremely famous pianist (to be un-named) called him and offered him his entire collection as a gift. Not only that, the pianist paid shipping from the west coast to the east coast. This collection was about 50,000 CDs and LPs, including nearly complete collections of both Bear Family and Mosaic box sets.

My friend accepted, as he had a large heated out-building.

The pianist wanted to downsize and simplify.

I just seem to do the opposite....up-size and complexify.

Starwanderer, Erik B., peter1 and 4 others like this.
  13. Artur Torres

Artur Torres New Improved Full Dimensional Stereo

Many covers of the CTI label are a milestone in the history of graphic art.

14. JRM

JRM Forum Resident

Good stuff...new albums for me, just got ‘em a couple weeks ago...

Jutta Hipp At The Hickory House. Vol. 1 [UHQCD] [Limited Release] Jutta Hipp CD Album
    Jutta Hipp At The Hickory House. Vol. 2 [UHQCD] [Limited Release] Jutta Hipp CD Album

bluemooze and dennis the menace like this.
  15. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

The only thing I have gotten rid of lately is the desire to stop buying music.

[​IMG]

16. Artur Torres

Artur Torres New Improved Full Dimensional Stereo

One of the few times there was an excellent connection between Jazz and Classical Music.

[​IMG]

Erik B., Robitjazz, xybert and 4 others like this.
  17. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

That picture was of some kids doing a shellac drive for the war effort.

My old man would disguise himself as a war-time recycling truck driver, meet the kids at the school and bring the stuff home and look for Hot Five and early Ellington records before dropping the records off at another Center for the Destruction of American Culture.

Or so I imagine him as a super-hero.

18. Yesternow

Yesternow Forum pResident

Those CTI covers are like roads to our imagination. Love them, and most of the music inside.
    [​IMG]

19. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

For myself, I much prefer cover art that offers insight to the musician (not an art director), preferably through their eyes.

Sometimes, it is interesting when the musician had control over the cover art (if not an image of the artist), whether their own work or a work they selected. But that is very rarely the case, especially in jazz.

caio vaz, Yesternow and Artur Torres like this.
  20. Tom H

Tom H Forum Resident

21. frightwigwam

frightwigwam Talented Amateur

Do you have some favorite examples of this?

caio vaz likes this.
  22. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I wouldn't say favorites, but here is one example that many here recognize.

[​IMG]

23. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

This one is not a partcularly profound image, but it is one of the earliest photo-based covers with minimal print.

Most importantly, it shows how Ruby's Mom loved her son the jazz musician.

Ruby's gift to his mother.

My own daughter just called me to tell me how much she loved Ruby Braff.

[​IMG]

24. caio vaz

caio vaz Senior Member

Chico Hamilton on hi fi have a interessant album cover, with an artist making a spucpture while the band plays behind..

Artur Torres likes this.
  25. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

If you are talking about cover paintings selected by the artist as showing insight to the musician, of course there is the entire series of cover paintings selected by Miles Davis for his fusion albums.

But from my perspective, I do not like that art, and they only offer an insight to negative aspects of Miles persona. They are still more appropriate than covers selected by some art director just out of art school.

Few musicians were allowed to select their cover art, and even fewer were allowed to do the cover art themselves (even though many musicians were also painters). A notable exception is Joni Mitchell.

caio vaz likes this.