Listenin' to Jazz and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Sep 1, 2016.

1. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I would still suggest studio sessions. Of course a good number of those live recordings, at least those officially issued, are actually over-dubbed studio sessions or otherwise doctored (Massey Hall as an example)

I myself, enjoy live recordings from any period. I was referrring to what I would recommendas an introduction to a listener who was completely unfamiliar with an artist. I cannot think of a live session from the 1950s by any artist that I would recommend over a studio session as an introduction to the artist. Not Massey Hall, not Duke at Newport, not Clifford with Blakey at Birdland, none of them.

2. jay.dee

jay.dee Forum Resident

Well, I cannot imagine a better introduction to Art Blakey's Jazz Messengers than their live sets at Birdland or Café Bohemia. :)

dennis the menace and Robitjazz like this.
  3. jay.dee

jay.dee Forum Resident

Great lineup.

As far as I remember the only all-female jazz recording I have listened to so far (and have on my shelf) is Les Diaboliques trio, comprised of Scottish vocalist Maggie Nicols, Swiss pianist Irene Schweizer and French bassist Joëlle Léandre, so if this new group keep on working I'll have a perfect opportunity to double my statistics. ;)

It's actually a bit surprising, because there are quite a few all-female rock bands I dig, e.g. Fanny, the Slits, the Raincoats or Sleater-Kinney, not to mention many more that I am aware of.

And what are your all-female group stats in jazz, my fellow members? :)

Last edited: Jun 17, 2019
  4. Xelfo

Xelfo Forum Resident

Here's one ECM for you.
    I'm finishing my Estonian journey with Kristjan Randalu - Absence, featuring Ben Monder and Markku Ounaskari.
    [​IMG]

bluemooze and dennis the menace like this.
  5. Kevin Davis

Kevin Davis EQUIPMENT PROFILE INCOMPLETE

[​IMG]
    Brad Mehldau, "Finding Gabriel"
    One of more than a few great CD's I got for my joint birthday/Father's Day weekend! Definitely not a Mehldau album in his traditional mold (solo, trio), and not even really a successor to his other less conventional side projects ("Largo," "Taming the Dragon," etc.), but a deep, sonically rich musical experiment with lots of interesting colors, rhythms, and wordless vocals. I can almost always do without spoken word in otherwise instrumental music, but it's not too distracting or prevalent in this case.

Mehldau is just one of those guys -- I pick up what he's putting down.

6. Robitjazz

Robitjazz Forum Resident

Nice cover undoubtedly expressive, but in my opinion the content of this album is one of the worst live recordings by Bob Dylan.
    The live albums released as The Bootleg Series are often better than this live album.
    Before The Flood with The Band released two years before is much more brilliant.

Erik B. and frightwigwam like this.
  7. Kevin Davis

Kevin Davis EQUIPMENT PROFILE INCOMPLETE

Wow, I think "Hard Rain" may be my single favorite live Dylan album, with "Before the Flood" possibly being my least favorite (though "Dylan and the Dead" probably beats it in the end). I hope the '76 RTR eventually gets the same in-depth treatment as '75 now has.

jay.dee likes this.
  8. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

Yeah, Hard Rain might not be my favorite live Dylan but at least two of the performances on Hard Rain -- "Idiot Wind" and "You're a Big Girl Now" -- are my favorite, go-to version of those songs. The playing is out of tune, Dylan's lead guitar solo work is, well, quirky at best, but those performance are among the most impassioned of Dylan's career and define those songs for me. I don't return to a lot of Dylan live albums at all, basically the Manchester Free Trade Hall '66 electric set and those two Hard Rain pieces.

Tribute likes this.
  9. eeglug

eeglug Senior Member

How did you like your Estonian jazz purchases?

My wife's family is Estonian. I've only dipped my toes in some of the music from the country. Shameful that I don't know any jazz from there! I'll have to investigate these artists you mention.

10. Xelfo

Xelfo Forum Resident

I'm very satisfied. Reigo Ahven Trio and Ivo Lille Group were completely new to me, but I certainly don't regret buying their CD's.
    Before that I didn't knew much about Estonian jazz scene, except Randalu, Vassiljev and few others, who have been collaborating in different projects with Latvian musicians. I'm glad I can expand my knowledge.

eeglug likes this.
  11. dennis the menace

dennis the menace Forum Veteran

Kenny Drew / Niels Henning Orsted Pederson - Duo Live In Concert (Steeplechase SCCD-31031)

[​IMG]

12. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

There is always the exception of course. But I never had anyone ask me for an introduction to Blakey. I get asked many similar questions, having been a radio host for almost 50 years. With Blakey, I tend to base recommendations on the sidemen.

13. Mook

Mook Forum Resident

With regards the Keith Jarrett introduction, I love the sound of Forest Flower (Charles Lloyd) so will start from there & see how it goes. Thanks for all the advice.

It actually led me to a Tony Williams recording I wasn't aware of (Of Course Of Course), which I will check out online tonight before taking the plunge.

Yesternow, frightwigwam and jay.dee like this.
  14. Robitjazz

Robitjazz Forum Resident

Last Friday in the late afternoon after the work finally relaxed I purchased on my local record shop two following albums; the first one is out of print:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

bluemooze and dennis the menace like this.
  15. dennis the menace

Duke Ellington - Mood Indigo (Impex Records IMP-8311)

Gold CD.

[​IMG]

16. Robitjazz

Robitjazz Forum Resident

I've always loved this theme by the unforgettable Michel Legrand.
    Very enjoying this rendition by Stan Kenton:

17. Some Mainstream Jazz for a change
    Featuring
    Illinois Jaquet (ts) / Harry Edison (tp) / Gerry Wiggins (organ) / Courtis Counce (b) / Al Bartee (dr) / Irving Ashby (g) / Carl Perkins (p)
    Recording date: November 03, 1955

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

vanhooserd, bluemooze and JRM like this.
  18. one more featuring:
    Cat Anderson (tp) / Ray Nance (Cornet) / Lawrence Brown (tb) / Buster Cooper (tb) / Harold Ashby (ts) / Paul Gonsalves (ts) / Russel Procope (as & cl) / Jimmy Jones (p) / Richard Davis (b) / Gus Johnson (dr)
    recorded March 8, 1965 New York

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. Jazzicalit

Jazzicalit In the Tradition

My latest purchase:
    BING CROSBY - Milestones Of A Legend

[​IMG]

12 of Bing's best albums :)

bluemooze likes this.
  20. .... and with the late John Williams (p)

Recording dates:
    A1 & A2: July 30, 1953
    A3 & B1 - B2: November 09, 1953

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

21. dennis the menace

Wes Montgomery - Smokin` At The Half Note (Verve/Analogue Productions CVRJ-8633 SA)

Accompanied by the Wynton Kelly Trio. This is the hybrid SACD. The title says it all...

[​IMG]

22. TerpStation

TerpStation "Music's not for everyone."

Have been catching Fabian Almazan for years as Terrence Blanchard's keyboard player. The guy very talented. While browsing "Pitchfork" this weekend i was surprised (as i dont look to them for jazz reviews) to see they reviewed his new record (which just dropped Friday). Played it on Tidal this weekend, great record!
    Fabian Almazan: This Land Abounds With Life Album Review | Pitchfork

Rob C, peter1 and Mugrug12 like this.
  23. Does it sound much better than my LP??

dennis the menace likes this.
  24. JRM

JRM Forum Resident

[​IMG]

NP This Is Tal Farlow, recorded February 17 and 18, 1958 at WOR Sound Studio in NYC. The 1997 CD reissue has nine previously unreleased bonus tracks.

“Of all the current jazz guitarists, Tal is the one I most like to hear. There are several with a great deal of facility and others with less facility but more ideas. Tal has both. He does the best chord work of anyone I’ve heard.” -Jimmy Raney
    • Tal Farlow - guitar
    • Eddie Costa - piano
    • Bill Takas or Knobby Totah - bass
    • Jimmy Campbell - drums
    Verve CD

Berthold, Erik B., vanhooserd and 2 others like this.
  25. dennis the menace

Can't tell, but the SACD sounds very good.