Listenin' to Jazz and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Sep 1, 2016.

1. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

Thanks for your reply. Yes it so happens he is on a Jackie McLean LP I have, but I am very bad at noting/remembering obscure sidemen on jazz albums. I have looked around for his appearances though and don't see much other than playing piano on a few McLean albums before turning up at Mainstream for your recording. After that he started his own label Masterscores or someone started it for him. He seems to have released four or five LPs in the 70s on it. The Discogs page is rather incomplete.

I just bought one of them on his Masterscores label and when it arrives I'll post it here with description. I didn't see any copies of the Mainstream LP. I was just surprised at how coherent and lively the two radio heard cuts were. I'll see if the LP stands up as a whole.

2. JRM

JRM Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Listening to Cal Tjader’s Latin Kick, recorded in 1956 at Radio Recorders in Los Angeles using “excellent early two-track stereo.”
    • Cal Tjader - vibes
    • Manuel Duran - piano
    • Carlos Duran - bass
    • Brew Moore - tenor sax
    • Luis Miranda - congas
    • Bayardo Velarde - timbales
    OJC/Fantasy CD

BluTom, Berthold, vanhooserd and 3 others like this.
  3. dennis the menace

dennis the menace Forum Veteran

Pat Metheny - Day Trip (Nonesuch 2-376828)

Beautiful album with the great Christian McBride on bass and Antonio Sanchez on drums.

[​IMG]

4. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

Thanks in advance for reporting back about the LPs.

5. alarickc

alarickc Vinylholic

Closed out last night with my first spin of the Speakers Corner reissue of Sonny Stitt Stitt Plays Bird. Beautiful album snd a fantastic pressing, considering how rarely this one's been reissued I'd suggest picking it up If your in the market for new LPs.
    [​IMG]

Starwanderer, BluTom, Moebius and 8 others like this.
  6. jay.dee

jay.dee Forum Resident

Digging a bit the subject of great live jazz recordings of the 50s...

1951-53

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

xybert, Berthold, Marzz and 5 others like this.
  7. jay.dee

jay.dee Forum Resident

8. jay.dee

jay.dee Forum Resident

9. Six String

Six String Senior Member

NP Coincidentally one from 1953/1954.....Thelonious Monk - Monk w/Sonny Rollin and Frank Foster. (Prestige) OJC cd
    Also rhe French Horn of Julius Watkins and Percy Heath (b) and Willie Jones (d).

10. Dan Steele

Dan Steele Senior Member

I really like those Shelly Manne Blackhawk Sessions because they really stretch out and consistent solos from Joe Gordon and Richie Kamuca. Great version of Summertime on vol 1 that you posted. That whole series makes you feel like you are there in person

Stu02, JRM, Soulpope and 1 other person like this.
  11. Limited edition series of Japanese jazz reissues, released in 1990 by Polydor K.K.. It consisted of ten titles, and all titles were available by pre-order only. The series title means "Verve Masterpiece Collection Finale". The series features duplicates of the original jacket artwork and labels, newly-written liner notes by Japanese jazz critics [on Inlasy sheets] , and all titles were cut at half-speed for better sound quality.

Have the complete series and will continue presenting the crop here [a first copy was presented allready---> Illinois Jaquet MG C-676 (see page 1.726 above).

This is CLEF Records MG C-677 "Norman Granz' Jam Session # 7" - cover art by David Stone Martin - recorded September 02, 1953
    A Blue Lou (13:05)
    B Just You, Just Me (23:21)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

jonwoody, caio vaz and Artur Torres like this.
  12. Thats correct. I dig also Victor Feldman in this group with his block accords on piano

Dan Steele likes this.
  13. JRM

JRM Forum Resident

I have one of those from this mini-LP SHM series: https://www.discogs.com/label/830949-David-Stone-Martin-10-Inch-Collectors-Selection

[​IMG]

14. Next in that serties is CLEF Records MG C-682 "Slide Trombone featuring Lawrence Brown"

Cover art by David Stone Martin - recorded January 26, 1955 & September 9, 1955 - reissue date August 01, 1990

Tracks A1 to A4 featuring Lawrence Brown (tb) / Sam (The Man)] Taylor (ts) / Lloyd Trotman (b) / Leroy Lovett (p) / Louis Bellson (dr)
    Tracks A5 & B 1 to 5 featuring Lawrence Brown (tb) / Arthur Clarke (ts) / Al Cohn (ts) / Daniel Bank (bs) / Ernie Royal (tp) / Philip Sunmkel (tp) / Hank Jones (p) / Wendell Marshall (b) / Jo Jones (dr)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Artur Torres, caio vaz and JRM like this.
  15. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

I was late to the party on this '07 release, but glad I finally got hip to it. A great album, with some of the best players of our time on it. Reuben Radding is on a short list of favorite current bassists, and he does not disappoint on this one.

[​IMG]

Artur Torres, Marzz and jay.dee like this.
  16. alarickc

alarickc Vinylholic

Started the day with a new one to me: Nat King Cole and his Trio After Midnight on AP 3x45. Lovely record, I should have played it earlier.
    [​IMG]

dynagroovy, Moebius, Xelfo and 5 others like this.
  17. JRM

JRM Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Now playing the incredible Jimmy Smith’s Crazy! Baby, his twentieth album on Blue Note, and the first of four he recorded for the label in 1960.
    • Jimmy Smith – organ
    • Quentin Warren – guitar
    • Donald Bailey – drums
    Blue Note UHQCD

18. vinylsolution

vinylsolution Forum Resident

I wish my friend Alexa could play these two, one of the few times I have stumped Amazon Music Unlimited...

19. vinylsolution

vinylsolution Forum Resident

Something different, with Miles and Santana guesting...

[​IMG]

20. caio vaz

caio vaz Senior Member

Hey @JazzcornerND, i found this Big band Larry sonn and orchestra with Al Cohn, do you like it?
    [​IMG]

21. caio vaz

caio vaz Senior Member

Sonny rollins- Br 60s, recorded in 1957
    [​IMG]

22. caio vaz

caio vaz Senior Member

The B side its Thad Jones band, not Sonny. First time listen to this..

23. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Never gets old

[​IMG]

24. danasgoodstuff

danasgoodstuff Forum Resident

Nice pic of a stained and worn mono original, surely that's not what your reissue looks like?

25. Artur Torres

Artur Torres New Improved Full Dimensional Stereo

I'll say it again: it's one of the best monophonic albums of all time.