Listenin' to Jazz and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Sep 1, 2016.

1. Robitjazz

Robitjazz Forum Resident

Charles Mingus from Mingus Moves (Don Pullen and George Adams simply sublime!):

2. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

[​IMG]

Dizzy Reece "Star Bright" Blue Note Japan 80th Anniversary cd reissue.

Starwanderer, Berthold, JRM and 4 others like this.
  3. Lonson

[​IMG]

Charles Mingus "Mingus Ah Um" Mobile Fidelity Lab SACD

4. Dan Steele

Dan Steele Senior Member

Tough to have a better morning than that, 5 great Blue Note titles and maple syrup!

5. Lonson

LOL! I live in an area famous for maple syrup. I got tired of it and gave it up for a long time, my Dad has gotten me back into it.

Sure was some nice listening until it got too hot (my main system is upstairs and we don't have central AC; I put off putting in a window unit as long as I can because I hate the sound!)

Dan Steele likes this.
  6. fabre

fabre Forum Resident

Of course, the possibilities are great even if you don't live in the city. I do have a small CD collection with a few Japanese imports but I mostly imported Japanese movies more than 10 years ago. A lot of them are available now for free or for a little fee on-line.
    I do enjoy records the most at the moment. I am fascinated by the sound of drums, piano, saxophone, flute and other instruments on quality records. I am not saying that it sounds better than (insert CD, SACD, file etc) because I very rarely compare but I do enjoy a lot of records I bought over the last months very much. To be honest, there are more than a handful of records that don't sound particularly great and where I could have saved a lot of money had I bought the CD.

The thing that bothers me a little is that I miss what others described here in this thread as the most exciting experience: discovering old treasures for a few dollars, being spontaneous, checking out thrift shops and flea markets and stuff like that. You can find a nice bargain on discogs as well but it isn't the same. I will look out for record stores when going on a city trip next. I've been to some nice cities in the past few years and checked out book stores and libraries because I like to read and I guess I just have to plan some time for record stores now as well.

bluejimbop and Dan Steele like this.
  7. Fender Relic

Fender Relic Forum Resident

Workin my way thru the boxes... NP....Eric Dolphy-Far Cry & Ron Carter-Where? Re-packaged twofer as Magic....what's not to like?

I used to avoid these green label Prestige RI's but now that I've listened to six or so I'm having an attitude adjustment.

[​IMG]

8. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

In nearly all cases, you cannot get that experience (discovering old treasures for a few dollars) on-line, ever.

Just the shipping on its own is usually more than double what you may call the price of a great find.

fabre and Quakerism like this.
  9. Fender Relic

Fender Relic Forum Resident

Having a little red. While a bit modern sounding for my taste, still, a pretty good listen as the education continues.

[​IMG]

10. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

On the turntable, new arrival "Charles Tolliver" on Strata-East.

Pure Pleasure reissue.

Charles Tolliver - trumpet
    Gary Bartz - alto saxophone (tracks 4-6)
    Herbie Hancock - piano
    Ron Carter - bass
    Joe Chambers - drums

"Earl's World" - 4:23
    "Peace With Myself" - 9:37
    "Right Now" - 5:47
    "Lil's Paradise" - 7:05
    "Paper Man" - 6:11
    "Household of Saud" - 6:06
    "Repetition" - 6:20

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

Is this a new reissue that you have? How does it sound, I find Soul Jazz a bit meh....

12. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

I do like this thanks..
    sometimes w artists like Mingus or Monk (or Dylan for that matter) wherein I love the artist so much so you listen constantly over the years and you reach a level of familiarity or maybe even synchronicity perhaps that sometimes I wonder if the love is due in part simply because of this familiarity ,rather then the artist really having such a huge catalogue of greatness after greatness. I mean it seems impossible that these artists or anyone for that matter could put out such great music in such quantity.
    ... and then I throw a record on , shake my head in wonder, and am convinced they simply are that good...
    I guess in the end it doesn’t really matter why or how, we are just lucky to have it

cedarbrew and Robitjazz like this.
  13. dennis the menace

dennis the menace Forum Veteran

Got it already ? What do you think ?

14. Lonson

Sounds very nice.

dennis the menace likes this.
  15. frightwigwam

frightwigwam Talented Amateur

Right, Treasures came out just a couple weeks ago. Another one, Elegia, is coming out in July. The reissues of those two, and Asha and Washington Suite, are available on CD or LP. Soul Jazz also reissued a 1969 album he made with Marshall Hawkins, called Tanner Suite, but physical copies seem to be harder to find.

There is a blog that shared those albums, plus the 1978 album Tori, in 2017. Some of them must be needledrops of original issues, but I haven't listened & compared to what I have. The Soul Jazz reissues sound good to me. Does the company usually have a particular problem with their remastering?

Electric and Stu02 like this.
  16. jonwoody

jonwoody Tragically Unhip

I know most here play LPs and CDs but for those who stream here is a great search on Qobuz, likely Tidal as well. Doxy Collection, I started noticing a lot of their reissues when searching various artists. Did a search for Doxy Collection and there are tons of jazz, and blues, reissues on Qobuz. Currently listening to this:

[​IMG]

17. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

Well I have the Washington Suite SJ release and the music is sublime but the sound is ok. But not great. I have some cds compilations from soul jazz too which are underwhelming in terms of sound as well
    I was hoping they might up there game since the material is generally excellent

frightwigwam likes this.
  18. JRM

JRM Forum Resident

[​IMG]

NP It Might As Well Be Spring, recorded on December 9, 1961 just two weeks after the same band recorded the album Heavy Soul.
    • Ike Quebec - tenor saxophone
    • Freddie Roach - organ
    • Milt Hinton - bass
    • Al Harewood - drums
    Analogue Productions/Blue Note SACD

19. edo.t

edo.t Forum Resident

Do you have the older US SACD for comparison?

20. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

21. Lonson

I had it years ago but sold it when I was in between SACD playback and was moving. That said I bet this one sounds . . . a bit smoother, a bit warmer and "wetter."

22. OldJohnRobertson

OldJohnRobertson Martyr for Even Less

Too bad Dizzy Reece couldn't find anyone decent to play on that record huh? Looks like he had to settle for a bunch of second-rate chumps. :laugh:

Lonson likes this.
  23. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

[​IMG]
    1994 reissue of four albums. Arrangements by Al Cohn, Ernie Wilkins & Manny Albam. Players include Cohn, Gene Quill, Frank Wess, Urbie Green, Nat Pierce, Dick Katz, Hank Jones, Freddie Green, Barry Galbraith, "Shadow" Wilson, Gus Johnson & Osie Johnson. Recorded in Webster Hall, NYC. Producer: Jack Lewis. The music is great but the sound disappointing. I'm guessing heavy-handed noise reduction, maybe because these are from the tape era instead of direct-to-disc like most of the other volumes in this series I got this spring.

24. eeglug

eeglug Senior Member

Inspired by this thread I checked out Myra Melford's Snowy Egret - The Other Side of Air. Gorgeous music.

[​IMG]

25. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Just got a copy of this and spinning now. And what I'm immediately drawn to and blown away by is the drumming of one Ben Riley. A monster! He passed in 2017, but played on a lot of dates, and I'll have to explore some of them. He's incredible, and completely takes over this incredible outing, IMO.

Alice Coltrane Sextet ‎– Live At The Berkeley Community Theater 1972

[​IMG]