Listenin' to Jazz and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Sep 1, 2016.

1. Robitjazz

Robitjazz Forum Resident

I believe that it doesn't exist on cd/lp/dvd.

From Umbria Jazz Winter 2002, an encore that sees John Scofield jamming with Pat Martino Trio on a thrilling rendition of Sunny by Bobby Hebb:

bluemooze likes this.
  2. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

You're talking about the Resonance Dolphy NY sessions? Those were never "lost." They've been pretty much continuously in print in one form or another since the '60s -- on the albums Conversations and Iron Man or the Jitterbug Waltz twofer, on a variety of different labels, and in the really good sounding original stereo too, the master tapes of which were missing for the Resonance release. Did Resonance do another Dolphy release of lost recordings that I missed?

AaronW likes this.
  3. Robitjazz

Robitjazz Forum Resident

Unfortunately ever been in Canada. Those red bricks have something of UK where I had the pleasure to have been to.

Stu02 likes this.
  4. AxiomAcoustics

AxiomAcoustics "The enemy is listening"

Really enjoy McNeill's music and have the precious titles but not this. Thanks for the tip. Some of SJ's stuff is ok, others not so much. I wish they'd do better pressings on LP. Also wish they had not changed from those really nice mini-LP sleeves to regular jewel cases.

5. AxiomAcoustics

Don;t tell anyone. Amazing how cheap these can be had for; the Dolphy "Great Concert" contains all three volumes of the Five Spot gigs on 3 LP's and can be found for $20-40 depending on condition. Sure the graphics are pretty lame but.....that surely contributes to the cost factor.

Fender Relic likes this.
  6. AxiomAcoustics

What's up with that cover? I've go this one:

[​IMG]

7. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

Not "lost recordings" but there is some material in the Resonance set not officially released before.

fatwad666 and Gabe Walters like this.
  8. AxiomAcoustics

Interesting, seems to be a boot (albeit a SBD?) and the first and only release from this label. I wonder why this was not released by the estate or similar since Ravi seems to be pretty active as of late. Decent quality? Do you have a recc for buying this? Love the lineup....

.....and so cool noticing and Riley :thumbsup: I posted this a few years ago upon his transcendence to the heavens and it's a great place to hear him in the moment with a great band. Although I'm sure you have it and/or the Mosaic LP set:

For Ben Riley>RIP:

Evidence
    Bemsha Monks were swingin’
    Low, Sweet
    Blocks of smoke cascading upward
    Leaving ashes on the keys
    But only the Black ones
    (It’s harder that way)
    Riley takes a solo
    Sphere lays out
    Man, don’t you know?
    No, what?
    Monk don’t lay out
    He just leaves bigger spaces

Good thing he left us Evidence

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 25, 2019
  9. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

Isn’t some of it previously unreleased?

10. AxiomAcoustics

Nice wakeup call. Now, you're committed to posting this same view come February.

11. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

Found in the suitcase of a Dolphy family friend, according to Zev Feldman, right? Whether we want to call that a lost recording strikes me as needlessly semantic, but I’ll withdraw that characterization if it makes people happy.

Lonson likes this.
  12. Yesternow

Yesternow Forum pResident

Apart from @Tribute, who I know is more than 100 years old, I tend to think of everyone here as younger than they actually are. I make that same mistake with myself as well.

3 grandsons already?! Fantastic.

As for tips... Can't help you. I have a younger brother and 2 sons. Female dynamics??? Man, I have problems understanding my wife.

Here's some dynamics I love and understand:

Played this afternoon,
    [​IMG]

Hubert Laws, Wild flower, 1972.

13. Lonson

Good point. I have yet to read the notes.

14. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Like I said, I've heard things that indicate that the estate, or somebody close to, threw this out there. Nothing confirmed. Maybe they were interested in testing the waters?
    It sounds great to me, and yes, a SBD. I was late finding out about it, when online as soon as I did and found a copy for about double the retail, but that was fine with me. The person I got it from indicated it was his last one.

I forgot that Riley played on the It Club sessions! That's nuts, because I love those recordings(have the complete CD, and Mosaic vinyl), but I haven't dug into them in awhile. I will have to listen today, because like I said he's just incredible on the Coltrane set. Thanks for the reminder.

AxiomAcoustics and jay.dee like this.
  15. frightwigwam

frightwigwam Talented Amateur

Also notice the catalogue number: BCT-1972, on BCT Records... for a recording from the Berkeley Community Theatre in 1972. Sure looks like a label formed just for this album, and that's it.

I've found a free download source (320 and FLAC 16/24), but I'm having trouble finding online stores with the LP in stock--well, there is a NYC shop called 2 Bridges Music Arts that lists it for $30, but they don't seem to have an online system for purchasing. And it looks like Amazon France might have a copy for 32 Euros. Discogs is blocking its sale, but three sellers in Europe are offering on ebay, now.

16. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

That looks like a very cool store. I'll have to check it out when I'm in NYC in the fall. Somebody should call them to see if they still have it.

frightwigwam likes this.
  17. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

I think there was one previously unissued piece (in two takes), and then a bunch of alternate takes that hadn't been previously issued of tune for which master takes had been issued.

Most of the material was out on the Conversation's album, which I think was released in Dolphy's lifetime, and the Iron Man album, which came out shortly after his death. And the material had also been pulled together in assembled twofers too over the years. It's great stuff. Some of Dolphy's best and some of my favorite. But it's mostly familiar stuff, and in fact, you can still go out on Tidal or Spotify and listen to Conversations and Iron Man, or go to Amazon and buy in-print copies of Iron Man on vinyl and Conversations on CD.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2019
  18. Electric

Electric The Medium is the Massage

Yes, Canada was a British colony for awhile.

19. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

As I had always been the youngest kid in the class, I got used to saying I was a year older than I actually was. I keep that up today.

In our town, to buy wine, they insist on you reciting your birthdate.

They don't want no proof from an old white haired man, they just want you to play along with the game that their lawyer insisted upon.

So I make up a lot of birthdates. Some as much as 15-20 years older than I already am (which ain't young).

I like it when they say, "Hey, you looking good!"

Not many things give me that much pleasure these days.

20. Lonson

Listened to more new 80th Anniversary cd reissues from Blue Note (Universal Japan).

Although there's no engineering credit listed I'm coming to the conclusion these are new masterings. There's a consistent sound across a number of them that makes me feel this is the same mastering equipment used across the reissues.

Here are those I listened to:

Big John Patton "The Way I Feel"

Stanley Turrentine "That's Where It's At"

Clifford Jordan "Cliff Jordan"

Sheila Jordan "Portrait of Sheila"

21. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

Tip? Speaking as a parent of a girl the only thing you really need to do is introduce her to Ellington, Monk and Mingus as soon as she is able to eat solid foods.

22. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

I finally got a copy of this music. Your heartfelt review was much a factor. It really is an astounding album. I am with you 100% on your take of this. The only thing I can add to it is that Carla Kihlstedt vocals really float across the melodies in a reflective understated manor which really just embellishes the ideas rather then taking them over. Perfect really

charlesp and lschwart like this.
  23. JRM

JRM Forum Resident

[​IMG]

NP Mundell Lowe And His All Stars’ TV Action Jazz!, recorded at Webster Hall in New York City on February 3, 4 & 5, 1959.
    • Mundell Lowe - guitar
    • Donald Byrd - trumpet
    • Jimmy Cleveland - trombone
    • Herbie Mann - flute, tenor saxophone
    • Tony Scott - clarinet, baritone saxophone
    • Eddie Costa - piano, vibraphone
    • Don Payne - bass
    • Ed Shaughnessy - drums
    RCA Victor/BMG France CD

24. vinylsolution

vinylsolution Forum Resident

A rather intense listening session going on... will probably lead to a Smack Up!

[​IMG] [​IMG]

25. alarickc

alarickc Vinylholic

First spin of Freddy Hubbard's First Light on ORG Music 33.
    [​IMG]