Listenin' to Jazz and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Sep 1, 2016.

1. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

2. Yesternow

Yesternow Forum pResident

I've been wanting to ask you. The place where you display your albums... Is that your bed?

Man, it's OK to love your records, but not literally.

I can see another alert coming from administration... This thread is really pushing the limits of Jazz :)

Crispy Rob, Erik B., Stu02 and 4 others like this.
  3. Robotlove

Robotlove Forum Resident

I'm a sucker for the ACE/BGP compilations even though they don't have a ton of rights to stuff.

https://acerecords.co.uk/cache/images/CDBGPD-308_500_500.jpg

If You're Not Part Of The Solution - Soul, Politics And Spirituality In Jazz 1967-1975

In the late 60s jazz was at a turning point. Soul music had taken much of its black audience and rock’s intellectualisation was eating up its support amongst college students. The usual story told is that jazz split between those who went out and those who tried to make people dance. The story is more nuanced, and ‘If You’re Not Part Of The Solution’ tries to tell that story.

It was a period of radicalisation for Black America: a disproportionate number of young African American men were being shipped to Vietnam, the inner cities of Detroit, Washington, Los Angeles, Newark and more were ablaze and, in 1968, Dr Martin Luther King was gunned down in Memphis. There was a sense that something had to be done and with this in mind, many outlets both political and spiritual sprung up. As a central part of the community, jazz musicians took their cues and their music reflected this.

“If You’re Not Part Of The Solution” draws upon the melting pot of ideas that can be picked up in veteran Hammond player Johnny Smith’s call for ‘Black Feelings’, or the cosmic wanderings of the obscure Philadelphia group Catalyst. Funk in all its forms can be found; be it the relentless bass rhythm of the title track, or the Miles Davis-influenced shifting groove of Johnny Lytle’s ‘Tawhid’. It was an exciting period and the music is caught up in that, but above all there is reverence for the greats such as Davis and John Coltrane who are the pillars of a newly confident African American culture.

Ray Cole and bluemooze like this.
  4. Berthold

Berthold "When you swing....swing some more!" -- Th. Monk

Dizzy Gillespie: Shaw Nuff

[​IMG]

5. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

Love my music but not that literally. :righton:

Yesternow likes this.
  6. rxcory

rxcory proud jazz band/marching band parent

Takin' a spiritual break with:

[​IMG]

Stevie Wonder - Fulfillingness' First Finale (1974)

original '74 Tamla/Motown T6 332S1 (KENDUN stampers)

"Heaven Is 10 Zillion Light Years Away" (HDtracks mastering, which I love) came up on shuffle on the drive in to work tonight, and I was struck not only by the song's spiritual aspect, but also the buttery-warm 70's analogue sound. When I went for my nightly 0300 constitutional I just had to play that song a couple more times on the iPhone. Now I'm home and spinning the LP. Innervisions usually steals all the thunder in my mind, but today I finally understood the genius behind this album, more of a confident, easygoing feeling of fulfillment. And Nixon (or those who follow in his footsteps) be forewarned – we've (still) got so far to go.

[​IMG]
    Stevie in '74

7. dennis the menace

dennis the menace Forum Veteran

Ornette Coleman - This Is Our Music (Atlantic 7567 80767-2)

Enjoying this great album !!

[​IMG]

8. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    Open invitation to the John Coltrane album-by-album thread. Now discussing the Complete 1961 Village Vanguard Recordings.

John Coltrane Album-by-Album

9. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Great '75 German radio date featuring Evan Parker's incendiary blowing.

[​IMG]

10. frightwigwam

frightwigwam Talented Amateur

She recalls Kenny Barron to my mind: well-played mainstream jazz with some Monk and post-bop influence occasionally bubbling up. She actually does cover "Monk's Dream," but sometimes you get a sense of him elsewhere, too. Some of that may come from Bill Stewart's drumming. And Steve Nelson adds a beautiful compliment to the sound.

I've had her album on my iPod for awhile, too. A lot of other things, I hear once or twice, then move on. She's been sticking around.

11. Robitjazz

Robitjazz Forum Resident

12. dennis the menace

dennis the menace Forum Veteran

Dizzy Gillespie - The Complete RCA Victor Recordings (BlueBird BG2-66528)

[​IMG]

rxcory, Berthold, Erik B. and 6 others like this.
  13. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

Argh. It's Bill Stewart and not Joey Baron on drums, not sure where I got Baron's participation from, but he and Stewart are both contemporary drummers whose work just doesn't float my boat. As a former drummer I'm picky about drums and drummers. . . so no one should think too much about my drummer likes and dislikes.

Six String likes this.
  14. Lonson

I finally got around to opening this two cd set that arrived a few weeks back. Nice sound. Great performances.

Stan Getz, "Getz at the Gate" disc 1

[​IMG]

15. xybert

xybert Forum Resident

Ha ha, when i started reading your post i did think that i was in actual trouble for a second! :)

Yeah i've been on a bit of a Corea kick recently; aside from Antidote coming out i've also ordered the two trio albums that he released through his website last year (the Akoustic band album has since been issued in Japan) so while i wait for them to arrive i've been revisiting the back catalogue.

My top aaaaah 6 (sorry, had to do it)
    - Now He Sings
    - Return to Forever
    - My Spanish Heart
    - Friends
    - Three Quartets
    - The Chick Corea Elektric Band

I actually thought i'd have something in there from the last 20 years as i rate the work from that period very highly, but ultimately these are the favourites. If i could take the opportunity to suggest a less-obvious (i.e. not a 'you can't go wrong' trio album) gem from that period, i'd suggest The Continents.

Crispy Rob, Yesternow, SJR and 2 others like this.
  16. xybert

xybert Forum Resident

Forget to mention a good starting point! Running late for work... those top 6 could all be good starting points depending on your taste! If i think of something better will post later... but maybe Captain Marvel is a good intro to Corea. Cheers.

Crispy Rob and Yesternow like this.
  17. Six String

Six String Senior Member

As another drummer I am picky too and I love Bill Stewart's playing. When John Scofield came to town I went to see Bill more than John. :hide:

Last night went dancing to reggae dj near home so I'm groovin' to Bob Marley today while in the kitchen.
    Presently making an Italian version of pupusas with fresh fava beans, cheese and a little rosemary and thyme. First time with this mix of ingrediants so I'll soon find out if my fusion idea was a good one or not.

Mugrug12 and frightwigwam like this.
  18. Lonson

Hey, it's just personal likes. I think Stewart is an excellent drummer, but I don't like the way he swings or not swings and I think of him as more of a busy rock drummer than jazz drummer. Just how I hear it!

19. Mook

Mook Forum Resident

I absolutely love Bill Stewart, I would go & see him play in a heartbeat.

Having said that, I came to jazz through rock music. Bill Bruford speaks very highly of Stewart as well, which is how I heard of him.

20. Lonson

It's just a personal thing. I like jazz that is more rooted in tradition than some contemporary players and jazz music is. I don't want to start another round of "What is jazz?" but that's really at the heart of it for me, there's a line and I like more what's on one side of the line than another. I grew up in rock too, and I grew up musically playing in blues and rock bands, but what I admire most is a more traditional jazz style and sound in drumming, and that's just me.

rxcory, markp and Mook like this.
  21. Mook

Mook Forum Resident

I completely understand & respect what you are saying, it wouldn't be as much fun if everyone agreed on everything all the time. I'm going to listen to some Bill Stewart tonight to try to hear it from your perspective.

22. StarThrower62

StarThrower62 Forum Resident

I saw Bill Stewart with Sco a few months back. He's a very creative drummer. He doesn't remind me of a rock player at all.

23. Lonson

Okay cool.

Mugrug12 likes this.
  24. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Of course. I didn't mean it to sound critical, just supporting my man Bill Stewart. ;)

Moving on from Marley to The Mighty Diamonds!

Jim Walker and bluemooze like this.
  25. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

Legends! :edthumbs:

rxcory, Soulpope and JRM like this.