Listenin' to Jazz and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Sep 1, 2016.

1. The early Pacific Jazz recordings are among the best which Baker has recorded. I have the 4tet recordings on the following vinyls so I skipped this great Mosaic box. Can you confirm these (as far as a list is in the box)? All the tracks of the Mosaic box can be found on Discogs. Counting the tracks on my LP's there are more however?
    Thanks

[​IMG]

JRM, jay.dee, bluemooze and 1 other person like this.
  2. Also a great compilation. As Kenton collector have most mmaterial on vinyls I think.

3. G L Tirebiter

G L Tirebiter Forum Resident

I'm about 25 miles (40 KM) east of Pittsburgh PA.

4. Berthold

Berthold "When you swing....swing some more!" -- Th. Monk

Stan Kenton (Alumni): Back To Balboa 1

[​IMG]

bluemooze and dennis the menace like this.
  5. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

Wait did that cost you only 95 cents?

6. caio vaz

caio vaz Senior Member

7. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Last night, I received the usual assortment of packages in the mail. Several bubble-wrap envelopes with CDs, a few cardboard LP mailers....,

and one big very heavy box from Norway.

I could not figure what I had ordered from Norway. It was as heavy as that huge Mozart box set.

I spent a lot of time wondering. I didn't think there was a set out there that big that I did not already have. I love Norwegian musicians and singers, but they did not have enough material for such a box set.

I went to open it, but before I could find something to cut the tape, I woke up.

My wife said the dream means I have far too much music and a messed up set of priorities.

I think the dream means I should go to Norway and spend some time with one of my favorite Norwegian singers, Kristin Asbjornsen. But I did not mention that.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. mcwlod

mcwlod Outside Looking In

Oh yes, my favourite kind of dreams :agree:

I remember once I've been to this wonderful second-hand shop and found out over 50 perfect CDs and vinyl for 10 cents each. And wonderful stuff: some mono Beatles, 1st pressings of The Who and so on. I brought them home and was so happy, I couldn't wait to give them a spin.
    And then of course I woke up, but this dream was so realistic, I had to double check if I didnt't put those albums on shelves. Man, I was depressed for half a day that it was just a dream...

I guess mr Freud would have something to say on this matter...

9. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

Stan Getz, "Getz at the Gate" disc 2

[​IMG]

Starwanderer, JRM, Berthold and 7 others like this.
  10. dennis the menace

dennis the menace Forum Veteran

Kenny Drew Trio - Pal Joey (Original Jazz Classics OJCCD-1809-2)

Continuing my morning with this nice trio session. With Philly Joe Jones and Wilbur Ware.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
    Starwanderer, caio vaz, JRM and 5 others like this.
  11. Who did the arrangements on Ray Charles' "My Kind of Jazz" (1970)? Ray himself? The credits are pretty lean on this album (my copy is Canadian original Tangerine label LP - looks the same as in the USA). Is this a Quincy Jones job in disguise? I think I hear Ray with a couple of piano solos here and there...

12. Looks like my vinyl
    Drew,Kenny Jazz Impressions "Pal Joey" 1957 Riverside 12-149

13. dennis the menace

It is. It`s the CD reissue of that album.

[​IMG]

mktracy and bluemooze like this.
  14. More "boxed" Kenton here:

a) Volume 6 to the 5 CD box as single edition:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

b) A 5 CD box (japanese edition)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. c) Rendevous of Standards and Classics (5 LP's on CD)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

caio vaz and bluemooze like this.
  16. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

Bill Evans "Evans in England" disc 1

[​IMG]

17. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Another great date with the masterful Abdul Wadud's cello floating above and around the beautiful compositions of pianist Davis. Flautist and bass clarinetist J. D. Parran also stars, as does the mighty George Lewis on trombone.

[​IMG]

Ray Cole, jay.dee, charlesp and 2 others like this.
  18. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

For many years, I have been having those "Record Collector Dreams"

Sometimes I am finding rare record after rare record, all for a dollar.

Sometimes I am finding records that I never knew existed.

Sometimes I build a huge pile to buy, but cannot find where I left it.

Sometimes, the dealer cannot figure how much to charge me and cannot close the sale.

I wouldn't call any of these "nightmares". I do not suffer from nightmares. The only nightmare I ever have is when I wake up without my stash of records.

Sometimes, I have to check my stuff to see if I actually got the stuff home from last night's dream.

[​IMG]

This one, by the way, is a great record. Deauville was one of the best ballad singers

Yesternow and mcwlod like this.
  19. dennis the menace

Bill Evans Trio - At Shelly`s Manne-Hole (JVC JVCXR-0036-2)

XRCD version.

[​IMG]

Starwanderer, caio vaz, JRM and 12 others like this.
  20. Six String

Six String Senior Member

On the turntable, McCoy Tyner - Nights Of Ballads And Blues (Impulse) black and red stereo label.
    Trio recording.

21. alarickc

alarickc Vinylholic

Finally got around to spinning this one. I can see why this has emerged as an early favorite for many in the Tone Poet series. Lee Morgan's Cornbread on TP 33.
    [​IMG]

22. Six String

Six String Senior Member

On the TT Julian Priester/Pepo Mtoto - Love, Love. (ECM) German pressing
    Haven't played this in ages.

Jackie P, Soulpope, Mugrug12 and 5 others like this.
  23. Yes its an excellent recording from Lee.
    Have only the "normal" Blue Note vinyl edition for many years and enjoying it here and then.

[​IMG]

Jim Walker, alarickc and bluemooze like this.
  24. alarickc

alarickc Vinylholic

And now for something completely different: Skúli Sverrisson and Bill Frisell Strata on Newvelle 33. Beautiful music, lovely gatefold, so-so vinyl (fairly noisy). I'm hoping the KLaudio US cleaner I'm getting in a few weeks will quite the surface noise a bit.
    [​IMG]

25. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

Hans Peter Hiby: alto & tenor saxophones
    Michael Bardon: double bass
    Paul Hession: drums

Roots

All except 3 of the 8 pieces fully improvised with the other 3 based on some thematic material from the saxophonist.

Hiby is new to me. From reading up on him, he was away from the music for a couple of decades and this is the result of his recent re-emergence. Pretty standard yet exceptionally executed free jazzed made more worthwhile due to the inclusion of the one time radical British drummer, Mr. Paul Hession. Hession plays a great sounding simple jazz kit without any toys or effects and he still can bring that swing and groove like the great old school free jazzers bring.

Recorded in studio on 8/22/2017

On Not Two records