Listenin' to Jazz and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Sep 1, 2016.

1. There is a special thread for those recordings from the Swing Era.

2. Agreed! He is one from the composeres responsible for what we call "The [great] American Songbook". Everything from that section is immortal music.

vanhooserd and C6H12O6 like this.
  3. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

That shouldn't inhibit and doesn't prohibit anyone from posting them here or talking about them.

That's the best sounding version of that material I've ever heard. Kansas City must have been something else that decade!

Berthold likes this.
  4. That wasnt my Intention to "educate" people but look how that other thread needs "food".
    Have a good day for the rest.
    W.

Stu02 likes this.
  5. Ahh "Dave Brubeck at the College of the Pacific" showing its "head".
    ;-]]
    W.

caio vaz likes this.
  6. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

Not just the songs. Think of the piano pieces, concert works, maybe another opera or a ballet score. There could have been more recordings of Gershwin as a pianist, and as a bonus more great lyrics by Ira. If Gershwin had lived to 80, he would have been around until 1978 or 79. A collaboration with McCartney would have been inevitable. :)

Stu02, Ray Cole and C6H12O6 like this.
  7. caio vaz

caio vaz Senior Member

Hahaha it its just spying, waiting for to be spin on :D

8. Yesternow

Yesternow Forum pResident

[​IMG]
    White Rabbit.

A Benson favorite that I received (the bluspec) in my mail recently.

I've played it on my trip to the hospital. That's my location these days. (knee surgery).

They told me to bring only essential stuff. CTI, jazz, headphones... All essential.

Keep on rocking guys!!
    [​IMG]
    I mean,
    Keep the jazz, conversation and drugs (for me only) flowing.

9. Robitjazz

Robitjazz Forum Resident

Great album recorded a few days before
    A Love Supreme.
    Two great musicians played on both of them.

Crispy Rob, rxcory, blutiga and 2 others like this.
  10. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

Earlier this year when I was a post-op overnight surgical patient it was the same thing - headphones & jazz - that got me through the night. Best wishes on your recovery! :righton:

rxcory, Dan Steele and Yesternow like this.
  11. lschwart

lschwart Senior Member

I spent a little time today writing about Leonard Cohen's "Tower fo Song," and that led me to explore various live performances over the years. One of them, as it turns out, was on an episode of NBC's Night Music from February 1989, with George Duke and David Sanborn joining Cohen, Julie Christensen, and Perla Batalla for the song. I had seen that clip before, but I didn't realize until today that this was from the same episode in which Sonny Rollins also joined Cohen (along with Was (Not Was)) for a dramatic rendition of Cohen's "Who By Fire" (a clip I'd also seen before). Today I found the whole episode on youtube, and I wanted to post it here for you all because it also contains two more fantastic Rollins performances. The first one, a funky workout on "Kim" with some great interaction between Rollins and Duke (the whole thing is greater actually), starts at about 8:00 in. The other is an old, Bridge era clip of Rollins playing "God Bless the Child" that acts as a prelude to the Rollin's sax cadenza that opens "Who By Fire," which itself begins with Rollins quoting himself across time on GBTC before leading the band down into the depths of the Cohen song (the sequence begins at 30 minutes and 15 seconds in).

The whole show is worth watching (there's some great stuff from Was (not Was) and even a somber little Ken Nordine bit). But definitely do yourselves the favor of watching the three Rollins performances!

L.

12. Six String

Six String Senior Member

NP John Scofield - A Go Go. (Verve)
    W/MMW. I heard some tracks last night which made me want to hear more Sco in the short term. I took this on a three week trip around the time it came out so that memory still lingers when I hear this today.

Last night I listened to Sco's Hand Jive which features Eddie Harris in a big way. That is one of my favorite Scofield albums. The songs are good and the band sounds really connected/present.

A Go Go is hitting the right spot on a Wednesday afternoon.

13. Xelfo

Xelfo Forum Resident

The title of Scofield's album made me to remember that I have an album with a very similar title from a different artist, but way more funky.

Starwanderer and bluemooze like this.
  14. dennis the menace

dennis the menace Forum Veteran

Thanks for your thoughts. I know very little of Scofield music, that's something I will correct by ordering A Go Go to begin with.

15. caio vaz

caio vaz Senior Member

Horace Sliver- best of, Br 80s
    [​IMG]

16. Dan Steele

Dan Steele Senior Member

Hope you are doing well Yesternow! Mend quickly!

Jim Walker, xybert and Yesternow like this.
  17. Dan Steele

Dan Steele Senior Member

Dedication out to @Yesternow for one I know he’d like, Moncur’s New Africa from the BYG actuel label that I don’t see posted on here very often. Archie Shepp also has a great version of this song on his album Kwanza

[​IMG]

18. Dan Steele

Dan Steele Senior Member

Have not played this in a long time. Had a recollection it was pretty adventurous but maybe my palate has changed - it seems rather tame, more like a lush big band sound. Really like it though, especially The Crossing. This has to be my most contemporaneous album (recorded in 1999). Remember I bought it at the Jazz Record Mart in Chicago.

[​IMG]

19. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

I played Stone Flower tonight in honor of our mending friend. Get thee well Yesternow
    - Antonio ahh yes

20. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

[​IMG]
    Another nice volume in this French RCA series, issued in 1982. A mix of Bunny Berrigan & His Orchestra tracks with some by smaller groups, including five tunes written by Bix Beiderbecke & arranged for nonet by pianist Joe Lipman. Lipman later arranged & conducted Charlie Parker's second With Strings session in 1950.

21. alarickc

alarickc Vinylholic

Been enjoying having a digital source I finally like (A&K Kann Cube). This has been a great listen as a 24/44.1 download from Qobuz:

Kinkajous Hidden Lines on Running Circle.
    [​IMG]

dennis the menace and bluemooze like this.
  22. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

[​IMG]
    Tasty Ry Cooder blends from 1978, with the jazz element being from the 1920s & earlier. Includes three Bix Beiderbecke compositions. Only three of the eleven tracks have vocals. Produced by Cooder & Byrd. Recorded by Lee Herschberg & Douglas Decker. Recorded at Amigo Studios, North Hollywood and released by Warner Brothers Records.

23. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

[​IMG]
    Elegy For Bill Evans, recorded 5/81 at Sound Ideas Studio, NYC. Produced by David Baker & Richie Beirach. Engineer: David Baker. Palo Alto Records, licensed from Trio Records, Japan.

24. Berthold

Berthold "When you swing....swing some more!" -- Th. Monk

Starting the day with

Charlie Barnet: Jazz Tribune 3/4

[​IMG]

bluemooze and dennis the menace like this.
  25. Six String

Six String Senior Member

If you like Medeski, Martin and Wood you'll like it for sure. They were made for each other.

Coincidentally I am listening to Sco's Groove Elation on BN with Idris Muhammad on drums. Deep in the funk.