Listenin' to Jazz and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Sep 1, 2016.

1. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

Listened to this one again, Jimmy Smith with Stanley Turrentine, Prayer Meetin'--the new cd from Blue Note Japan. Wow.
    [​IMG]

Followed by Peggy Connelly Peggy Connelly on Bethlehem, Verse Music Group cd. Nice band and arrangements but overall. .. meh.
    [​IMG]

Finally, Lonnie Smith, Live at Club Mozambique, a Blue Note Rare Groove cd.
    [​IMG]

Dan Steele, ganma, jonwoody and 8 others like this.
  2. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

That is one of the few weak albums on the Bethlehem label. However, you can almost always buy a Bethlehem album with confidence.

Here is a Bethlehem album I picked up in a used shop yesterday for $1. The shop usually puts all their good stuff on Ebay. I guess the owner thinks all male jazz singers are worthless. I had another copy, but this one was very clean.

[​IMG]

Lonson, bluemooze and jamo spingal like this.
  3. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I have been anxiously waiting for delivery of an album that I want to use in a radio program for several weeks. Looking in the mail every day. I was to the point of writing to the dealer, so I went looking for the contact info.

Then I discovered that I had never placed the order.

That's what you get for placing (or not placing) orders at 2 AM

4. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

Just keep staring at the cover of Peggy's album and it will sound better and better...

Lonson likes this.
  5. ATR

ATR Senior Member

I believe there is a delusion named after her.

6. caio vaz

caio vaz Senior Member

Os Cariocas- a bossa dos Cariocas,Br 80s
    [​IMG]

7. Mugrug12

Mugrug12 The Jungle Is a Skyscraper

You have to use a 3rd party. This link is easiest, no account needed. Hit browse and then choose photos from your device. Once they appear, click a photo and it enlarges. Then right click (hold click on iOS) and select copy. The. Click the little landscape button up too next to the smiley face. Paste the link there.

Imgur

Phew! Easier than it sounds, harder than it should be ;)

8. Mugrug12

Mugrug12 The Jungle Is a Skyscraper

Can someone recommend a vinyl all analogue current reissue of pythicanthropus erectus?

If there is none what about any nice vinyl copy that can be bought new?

Love call= the good stuff

9. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

The only other time I saw Basie was at Duke Ellington's funeral. We happened to walk out next to each other, though we did not say anything during that solemn occasion. I once saw a photo on the steps of the Cathedral with myself next to Basie. It was at a museum exhibit on Duke. I never got a copy of that photo.

May 27, 1974 at the Cathedral of St. John the Divine, NYC

[​IMG]

Here is Ella singing at the funeral

[​IMG]

10. Jazzmonkie

Jazzmonkie Forum Resident

That looks like Dr. Billy Taylor and Benny Goodman with Ella.

bluemooze likes this.
  11. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

It is Billy, but I am pretty sure it is not Benny

Jazzmonkie and bluemooze like this.
  12. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I was in a large used music shop last week. I noticed a young guy browsing in the Sinatra vinyl section.

I asked him if he was into Sinatra (being a serious fan and collector myself). He said he was just starting and wanted to get some recordings. I thought I could make some suggestions, but all I saw in the vinyl bin were a pile of duophonic (fake stereo) Capitol compilation LPs and a few of Sinatra's least important LPs. The records were $15-$25 each.

So I went over to the CD section, and there was a complete run of about 20 Capitol CDs for $2 each, or 6 for $10.

I suggested that he try at least 6 of them.

I looked around later and he was gone. I saw that he had put the CDs back. The cashier told me he had purchased 3 of the fake stereo LPs, which came to $50 with tax. Not worth 5 cents in my book.

I should have recommended that he pick up Sammy Davis singing "What Kind of Fool Am I?".

mcwlod, peskypesky, bluemooze and 3 others like this.
  13. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

Check out Speakers Corner.

alarickc and Mugrug12 like this.
  14. Mirror Image

Mirror Image Forum Resident

15. G L Tirebiter

G L Tirebiter Forum Resident

Thanks mugrug and xybert for the image posting instructions. Will spend some time with it this weekend.

In the meantime, spinning side one of "Ballad of the Fallen". Nice way to finish off the busy day.

xybert likes this.
  16. alarickc

alarickc Vinylholic

I second the Speakers Corner. I have it and think it's excellent.

17. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

saskimo, Berthold, alarickc and 5 others like this.
  18. Reissued in Japan on 12" vinyl

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

caio vaz and bluemooze like this.

19. Re uploading fotos:

Thats correct. Any Internet based source will do (copy & paste). Discogs is another source but not all covers there are "masterpieces".

xybert likes this.
  20. Some big band swing for a change:

Charlie Barnet on the Everest label - series Archive Of Folk & Jazz Music Cat # FS 333 - recorded August 1958

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

21. one more from 1955 -reissdued by Fresh Sound Records in 1973 - RCA NL-45977

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

vanhooserd, caio vaz and bluemooze like this.
  22. G L Tirebiter

G L Tirebiter Forum Resident

Starting the morning with "Know what I mean", by Julian "Cannonball" Adderly. (the misspelling is intentional, to match the original spelling error on earliest editions of "Kind of Blue" which was released 60 years about this past Monday). I haven't heard this in a long, long time (if ever). Its really the classic Bill Evans trio with Cannonball, so I'm guessing Cannonball had the contract with Riverside at the time since he's listed as the leader. Or maybe just a marketing ploy.

Nevertheless all great sounding stuff with alternate takes included of 'Who Knows" and a couple others and its on an Analogue Productions hybrid SACD. I picked up a stack of these super duper audio editions from the fellow who needs to liquidate his massive collection. They'll all be going up on the CD Sale forum here very soon.

23. caio vaz

caio vaz Senior Member

Some west coast jazz
    Shorty rogers and Andre previn- colaboração, Br 1960
    Bud shank and Bob cooper- flute oboe and strings, USA 60s
    [​IMG]

24. tennesseeborder

tennesseeborder Forum Resident

25. garrincha

garrincha Forum Resident

just finished episode 3 of Ken Burns' - Jazz

man, this is a great series. can't believe I haven't checked it out before. really interesting how jazz (jass?) came to be. had no clue about pioneers like Buddy Bolden, Paul Whiteman and King Oliver, for example. an absolutely riveting watch, for sure

will probably binge the rest over the next couple of days

great stuff