Listenin' to Jazz and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Sep 1, 2016.

1. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Lester Young was known for his words as well as his music. Among the more famous quotations from Lester was

"Originality is the thing. You can have tone and technique and a lot of other things but without originality you ain’t really nowhere. Gotta be original."

[​IMG]

2. Mirror Image

Mirror Image Forum Resident

Man, this is so good! I might have to spin this one again pretty soon. It’s difficult describing the music. There’s some fun quirkiness to several of these pieces. There’s also some introspection and lyricism that is highly appealing to me like, for instance, in the second piece, Darken My Door, which clocks in almost at 13 minutes. Has anyone else heard this album? I’m embarrassed that I somehow never got around to this album and it was released in 2017.

[​IMG]

3. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Here is a good one.

[​IMG]

Victoria Spivey was an early mentor and enthusiast for two (probably many) musicians who became all-time legends of the century, and tried to give them boosts and employment opportunities long before they were ever known or had made records.

Lester Young and Bob Dylan.

How cool is that?

Lester said: "I was with Victoria Spivey’s Revue. She’d just made the first black picture “Hallelujah” for King Vidor (1929). We were in a hotel in Tulsa, Oklahoma, best hotel in the world at that time for blacks....."
    [​IMG]

Bob Dylan with Victoria about 30 years later. Bob put this photo on his album "New Morning". Bob wrote about this choice:

"I knew that this photo would be on the cover before I recorded the songs. Maybe I was even making this record because I had the cover in mind and needed something to go into the sleeve."

[​IMG]

and Bob with Victoria a little later

[​IMG]

Victoria just might have got the title for this song from Lester Young. It was his kind of phrase.

[​IMG]

4. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Notice that Dylan was wearing clip-on sunglass shades over his thick lens Buddy Holly eyeglass frames. This may have been one of the few times that he was photographed in public in his early years with eyeglasses. Like Roy Orbison, Bob had poor eyesight. As contacts back then were extremely difficult, Bob probably could never see his audiences

[​IMG]

5. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

Honestly thought that was Cardi B for a second.

chervokas and Tribute like this.
  6. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

Wayne Shorter "Adam's Apple" Blue Note Japan RVG lp facsimile.

[​IMG]

Love the sound of this disc. The music is great, one of my favorite Shorter album

7. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

Depends who you are, I guess. And what you think jazz is.

Dahabenzapple likes this.
  8. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Carl Sandburg once wrote over a thousand definitions of poetry. He was having fun, but he seemed to be saying that you could not define it. As an original champion of free verse, he was struggling with a world of elites that would not accept free verse. But the people liked it.

chervokas and Lonson like this.
  9. xybert

xybert Forum Resident

I had my eye on this album for a long time when it came out, came close to pulling the trigger several times but didn't end up buying it. The band is killer, and there isn't much Jason Moran coming out on CD anymore, sideman or otherwise (that I know of).

10. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

Or maybe suggesting that it contains multitudes.

11. Mirror Image

Pull the trigger, man! I think you’ll dig it. Yes, the band is fantastic. I mean Thomas Morgan and Brian Blade alone are enough to send one’s mind into orbit. :)

xybert likes this.
  12. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

My music collection is multitudinous. Thats why I am solitudinous.

frightwigwam likes this.
  13. charlesp

charlesp Forum Resident

I have the 2-LP edited Pillars by Tyshawn - he intentionally edited a version to fit on 4 lp sides, so I do not feel like music is missing - the 80 minutes feels organic and complete - I love it.

Dahabenzapple and ATR like this.
  14. xybert

xybert Forum Resident

I'm on a bit of a buying hiatus at the moment (my wife has been extremely tolerant lol but she has her limits) but i'll look to buy it in the next month or so.

Mirror Image likes this.
  15. Mirror Image

Sounds like a good plan. :)

Spinning this one again:

Ron Miles: I Am A Man

[​IMG]

The lineup -

Ron Miles - cornet, composer
    Bill Frisell - guitar
    Jason Moran - piano
    Thomas Morgan - bass
    Brian Blade - drums

16. djost

djost Hyperactive!

Basie/Bennett - Count Basie And His Orchestra Swings / Tony Bennett Sings
    Classic Records - SR 25072, Roulette - SR 25072
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. Mirror Image

Pat Metheny: New Chautauqua

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Great stuff! It seems all of my favorite guitarists like Frisell, Abercrombie, Rypdal, and Metheny all did at least one solo album during their time on ECM.

18. djost

djost Hyperactive!

Tony Bennett / Bill Evans - The Tony Bennett Bill Evans Album
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. A>t least let us have your planned playlist here. I am very curious.
    Thanks

20. Robitjazz

Robitjazz Forum Resident

Maybe my copy doesn't have the best mastering:

Wayne Shorter - Adam's Apple

but I'm with you despite sometimes I miss another horn completing that great combo. Freddie or Lee or Kenny would have been really perfect.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2019
    Lonson likes this.
  21. dpb

dpb Forum Resident

Hi

I can see on the pic you got a Hana ML, what do you think about this cart ? What did you have previously, thanks for your reply

SpeakerLabFan likes this.
  22. Robitjazz

Robitjazz Forum Resident

Jazz can mean many things. It can be in and out of tone, sometimes even inside an only tune or an album.
    To me it is its beauty or charm and I also think that at certain point some musicians needed to change and evolve and we have to consider the social context in which they lived.
    In that sense, free music expresses and expressed very well a standing against the extablishment for social or racial reasons compared to mainstream jazz.
    For example, Dave Brubeck and Archie Shepp moved from different conditions and this fact could only be reflected in their music, but They remain two great musicians and it doesn't matter the music played overall in full respect of personal tastes.
    To me, this fact distinguishes jazz from classical music, where it is more an aesthetic need inside the music.
    I apologize if my English is not very good but I hope to have explained the concept.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2019
  23. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I don't plan playlists. They are created on the spot and not saved. It is more fun that way.

24. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

So Bill Evans was left-handed. I may have recognized that before. It seems that many geniuses are. (Not me!)

Fender Relic and djost like this.
  25. Berthold

Berthold "When you swing....swing some more!" -- Th. Monk

Commodore Jazz Recordings II #20

listening to Jess Stacy & Muggsy Spanier

[​IMG]