Listenin' to Jazz and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Sep 1, 2016.

1. frightwigwam

frightwigwam Talented Amateur

WTF.

Someone says that his business reputation would be destroyed if he screwed up as often as the LP manufacturers do--but what can he do, he's an addict.

I reply that their word-of-mouth reputation in these threads actually has put me off vinyl. I seriously don't know why people put up with it (higher prices for frequently defective product that may be off-center, slightly warped, or add a layer of surface noise even when it's "acceptable"; but I didn't add that). Athalwolf says something in good humor about how reaching the mountaintop makes it all worth it, and in the meantime he just hopes that they get better because of increased demand. Whatever, I left it at that.

Days later, what makes you feel the need to jump in with nothing to add but swearing at me? What justifies that? Do we have a beef that I don't know about? What is wrong with you?

xybert and Dan Steele like this.
  2. Athalwolf

Athalwolf Tu be or not tu be? That is the question.

Hi frightwigwam,

I removed my like from that awful comment. I misinterpreted his intent and did not realize that vitriolic and uncalled for comment was maligning you. Forgive me if I offended you as it was not my intent to concur with such a vile comment. Sometimes I click the like button too quickly. Hope we’re cool.

Dan Steele likes this.
  3. mcwlod

mcwlod Outside Looking In

bluemooze likes this.
  4. Mirror Image

Mirror Image Forum Resident

Sonny Rollins: The Freelance Years: The Complete Riverside & Contemporary Recordings (Disc 1)

[​IMG]

bluemooze, Stu02, Erik B. and 4 others like this.
  5. mcwlod

Tomasz Stanko Quartet "Suspended Night".
    When Fall comes with all those cold windy nights down here, I always return to Stanko music.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 22, 2019
  6. Mirror Image

One of my favorites from Stanko, but actually it’s not Bobo Stenson on piano, it’s Marcin Wasilewski.

mcwlod and Dan Steele like this.
  7. mcwlod

Yeah, you're right of course. Don't know why I got impression it's Bobo Stenson... Changed my post not to confuse anyone

Mirror Image likes this.
  8. dennis the menace

dennis the menace Forum Veteran

John Coltrane - Ascension (Edition II) (Impulse GRD-2-113)

Taken from The Major Works Of John Coltrane

Follow up to A Love Supreme...this is Trane`s entry into the avant-garde and he could not think of something more powerful to announce his arrival. I prefer Edition II that I find a little more coherent and also I like the two alto solos surrounding Archie Shepp solo in the second part of the song.

[​IMG]

9. Yesternow

Yesternow Forum pResident

[​IMG]
    Just finishing the album... Taurus is a beast!

My sign is aquarius. Not the best track in the album... but you don't choose your birth date right?!

Curious to know what your signs are. Not that I believe in signs, just to see if there is a padron.

R. Holmes says this when it comes to Pisces:
    ".... Unpredictable, extremely moody Easy to become confused But they are good home makers Good nurses, singers Have a tremendous amount of humour Very sensible The world can be wrong and they can be right They need to be Extremely sweet So sweet they are like The plantation where all the sugar grows... "

Maybe you're pisces dzhason?!?!? ;)

Take it easy Brothers. Piece.

Dan Steele, bluemooze and xybert like this.
  10. Mirror Image

Not that it really matters, but I’m a Pisces. To be honest, I think the whole astrological stuff is bogus. How can you determine someone’s characteristics based off of their sign? If there’s some truth in it, then that would be news to me. I asked a friend, who was into learning about all of the signs, “What sign do you believe I truly am?” She thought for a minute and said “A f****** Capricorn!” I said “What? Why?” And she replied, “You can be rather stubborn, you’re moody as hell, and you have a sharp tongue, but are loyal to a fault and will do anything for someone you care deeply about”. She continued, “You know...someone you care about, like me, now hand me my damn soda!” :D

11. Mirror Image

Power Tools: Strange Meeting

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Great stuff. I wished Frisell would’ve recorded at least one more album with this trio. Frisell is absolutely explosive on this album.

ianfaith1, mcwlod, bluemooze and 4 others like this.
  12. SOONERFAN

SOONERFAN Forum Resident

I have recently discovered trombonist Bennie Green. The allmusic.com bio slights him a bit describing him as "a capable bebop soloist" and describing his playing as less ambitious than his peers. I do not have the music education or background to say if these criticisms are fair or not but I am enjoying the heck out of his recordings. I have the following so far:

With Strings
    Blows His Horn
    Walking Down
    Trombone By Three
    Back On The Scene
    Soul Stirrin'
    Walkin' & Talkin'
    Bennie Green (Stereo Time label)

I love them all and will seek out his other titles.

13. xybert

xybert Forum Resident

I'm a Libra... not hugely in to astrology, but I am an 'on the fence' guy a lot of the time which I guess is kind of Libra-ish.

Thread duty = been listening to heaps of Coltrane, getting kind of psyched for the release of Blue World this coming Friday(?). I'm not expecting anything earth shattering but it'll be fun to get a new Coltrane album delivered.

14. Crazysteve

Crazysteve Gonzo Party Member

I previewed this for the second time and now am hunting for the vinyl. I really like this album.

Mirror Image likes this.
  15. Mirror Image

Yeah, it’s a good album. I thought Moran and Frisell sounded great together. Ron Miles is impressive as a bandleader as you’d never know that they’re his compositions in that he doesn’t really play a whole lot of solos and he lets the music speak for itself.

Thread duty -

Miles Davis: Kind Of Blue (MoFi Hybrid SACD)

[​IMG]

Happy 60th Anniversary to this legendary album! [Puts on party hat.]

peter1, Starwanderer, dZp and 9 others like this.
  16. dennis the menace

FWIW, I'm a cancer. What's more interesting is I was born the same date as both Billie Holiday and John Coltrane died, July 17.

"The personality of this Crustacean is difficult to describe. Defensive at apparently illogical times, Cancer is still one of the most loving, open Zodiac signs. The innate 'Crabby' tendency at unpredictable moments only adds to the fun. Cancer is a receptive and highly sensitive sign, capable of huge empathy."

17. Mirror Image

My grandmother was a Cancer and absolutely the center of my universe until she passed on. I loved her dearly ---- she would do anything for you and was so generous. She never met a stranger. She could talk to anyone from any walk of life and manage to make even the most bitter, jaded person on the planet crack a smile.

18. Radio

Radio Forum Resident

Just discovered this. It is great!

Berthold and Robitjazz like this.
  19. dennis the menace

Stanley Turrentine - That`s Where It`s At (Blue Note UCCQ-9504)

Japan`s Blue Note 80th. Groovy !

[​IMG]

Starwanderer, dZp, Dan Steele and 5 others like this.
  20. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

21. caio vaz

caio vaz Senior Member

Im a Cancer with ascendant on Cancer, borned on the 12 house, from Pisces.

dennis the menace and Yesternow like this.
  22. timzigs

timzigs Forum Resident

Talk about coincidence -- I was spinning this (1975 white b) before I came on over to the thread. One of my favorite Turrentine's...packed with solid tunes.

23. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

Ordered "Smokin" At The Half Note" and "Full House" by Wes Montgomery. Thanks SHF!

24. Mirror Image

Miles Davis: E.S.P. (MoFi Hybrid SACD)

[​IMG]

25. Mirror Image

I remember reading somewhere that Montgomery’s Smokin’ At The Half Note was Pat Metheny’s favorite jazz guitar album.