Listenin' to Jazz and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Sep 1, 2016.

1. jonwoody

jonwoody Tragically Unhip

I listened to Art Pepper Promise Kept and was blown away by both the music and recording quality. So continued with more Pepper today:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's pretty amazing he sounds just as good in the 70s, after years of struggling with addiction, as he does in the 50s.

Berthold, vanhooserd, Stu02 and 8 others like this.
  2. dennis the menace

dennis the menace Forum Veteran

Freddie Hubbard - Red Clay (CTI EK-85216)

[​IMG]

dZp, vanhooserd, Erik B. and 8 others like this.
  3. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

Cheers Ray, and thanks. I am familiar with various sleeve designs and they are space saving. I have about a dozen huge binders that I store bootleg cdr and LPs on cdr and radio shows on cdr that I collected heavily for a time within a network of collectors.

I know, at quite a huge expense, I could convert all that I have in the house to this sort of system and save some space. But I don't want to spend the money (that I really don't have) on the materials and I want to get myself in the habit of and more proficient at reducing the out of hand number of titles in the collection, and also want to leave what ever I do leave behind should I pass before my wife in as marketable a condition as I can. Reducing the number of discs I have will really make my wife happy, and that's a good thing.

I'm actually proud of the progress I've already made in a few months and hope to slowly, bit by bit, make even more progress. It seems "emotionally" like a decade long task--maybe I can get to the bottom of it in far less time.

hockman and Ray Cole like this.
  4. jonwoody

Ramsey Lewis Trio.........The In Crowd

5. Robitjazz

Robitjazz Forum Resident

@Lonson
    Thanks for your precious suggestions.
    I had something about Jeremy Steig.
    At the beginning of the Eighties, Italian publishing house Curcio Editore had released a serie entitled "I Giganti del Jazz (Giants of Jazz translated into English). They are one hundred lp's. Two of them were dedicated to Jeremy Steig with Jan Hammer, Eddie Gomez and Don Alias. I liked much his style so modern influenced by rock sound to my ears more interesting than Herbie Mann.
    Then I shared it together with other nine items for having an used copy of the Ginger Baker's Airforce live album which featured some great British jazz musicians.

Jeremy Steig / Jan Hammer / Don Alias / Eddie Gomez - I Giganti Del Jazz Vol. 15

vanhooserd and frightwigwam like this.
  6. jonwoody

And RIP Ginger Baker what a huge loss.

7. You are correct. He is indeed listed as "director of engineering" and not recording engineer. My fault. Sorry.

vanhooserd likes this.
  8. Robitjazz

Robitjazz Forum Resident

Yes, really. A great musician who has crossed various genres leaving an impressive trace of his talent. An authentic master of the drums.
    R. I. P.

markp, vanhooserd and bluemooze like this.
  9. The 4 CD box contains the following albums

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 6, 2019
    bluemooze likes this.
  10. Mirror Image

Mirror Image Forum Resident

Spinning this one yet again:

Michel Benita Ethics: River Silver

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. How about the multiple CD sets? Do you keep them as they are?
    ;-]]

12. Lonson

I've heard some of those Steig/Hammer sides, interesting stuff, though I find I am not as intrigued with this style of fusion as I used to be. I agree, I prefer Steig in this style more than Mann.

I really like the flute in jazz, and there are many great players from Kirk, Shank, Most, Lateef, Wess and others.

Robitjazz likes this.
  13. Sound isnt bad on this Tube. But prefer my Cadet vinyl [Japan reissue] with all the tracks
    ;-}}

14. Kevin Davis

Kevin Davis EQUIPMENT PROFILE INCOMPLETE

[​IMG]
    This is wonderful, but I do find myself wishing there were 5 or 6 takes of "Ali" and only 2 of "Nem Um Talvez" and not the other way around.

eeglug, frightwigwam, SJR and 11 others like this.
  15. If interested in Art Pepper you may find more rercordings here
    All Things West Coast Jazz And The Surrounding Scene*

16. Lonson

Can't really share that wish. I'd like more takes of "Ali" but am happy to have all the Pascoal sides in this set. Airto and Hermeto Pascoal with Miles eventually led me to be passionate about Brazilian music, I'm very thankful to their appearances with Miles!

Erik B. and caio vaz like this.
  17. PADYBU

PADYBU Forum Resident

The reason why theyre exempt is because these recommendations are for someone I know who checked out the two albums and wasn't feeling it at the time. If this were a list for just anyone I'd have added Blue in Green and the Bitches Brew title track. Those two tracks, Sakura Waltz and Dream Gyspy, for me, are tracks that I immediatley heard and fell in love with which isn't the case with my first time I heard Kind of Blue (although the music was just too interesting for me to just dump after the first listen, Blue in Green is where my connection started which then grew to the whole album)

I've got Sunday at Village Vanguard, it's so sweet. I've not heard the others apart from a bit of Bird so Thanks!

These look really interesting, I've been seeing Armstrong and Duke sets everywhere but didn't take the dive because I didnt know which one to check out first, now I do ;) Thanks

well unfortunatley I can go wrong with Trane. I've heard a lot of stuff from him that I just wasn't feeling, although I did really dig his Complete Live at The Village Vanguard, Ballads and his Africa/Brass album so maybe the others will click with me later on

18. Ray Cole

Ray Cole Senior Member

I just use two sleeves. If there are 4 discs in the set, I use a regular (cheaper) sleeve for the middle two CDs and use two JewelSleeve sleeves for the 1st and 4th discs so I can put the top traycard and the booklet in the first JewelSleeve and the bottom traycard with the 4th disc in the other JewelSleeve.

The CDs that can't be put in JewelSleeves (or any sleeves if you want to maintain the packaging) are the ones that come in cardboard foldouts (I think these are called "digipaks"?), or LP facsimiles or other non-standard packaging. The bins I'm using are designed for CDs in standard jewel boxes. So after I put everything into JewelSleeves, there is still some space left over where I can put some of these cardboard-packaged or other non-standardly-packaged CDs.

Here's an overhead shot of a bin I'm currently working on (movie soundtrack CDs in this case):
    [​IMG]
    You can see that between the rows there is space for some CDs that have cardboard outer sleeves, come in cardboard packaging, etc.

As I rip each CD to my Plex Media server and scan the accompanying traycard and booklet, I repack the CD and its traycard and booklet into a sleeve. It's a long-term project that kind of ebbs and flows. But I've repacked about 1500 CDs so far and am already noticing the big space savings that has given me.

Cheers!

19. Kevin Davis

I like the Pascoal tracks, but feel like the multiple takes of the same compositions don't really vary much.

Except "Little High People" -- those two takes are radically different. I wonder why that track didn't get included on any official release prior to the box set -- it's probably my favorite of their collaborations!

Lonson likes this.
  20. Ray Cole

Ray Cole Senior Member

Also worth checking out is Steig's album, Flute Fever, which also happened to be pianist Denny Zeitlin's first professional recording release.

Cheers!

frightwigwam, Robitjazz and Lonson like this.
  21. Kevin Davis

[​IMG]
    Moving on from Miles for a while, onto Duke. Disc 1 of the Private Collection (at least, this is Disc 1 in the edition of the set that I own). I am never not completely charmed by these recordings -- they are "tightly casual," for lack a better term. They feel like Sunday afternoon jam sessions, but by musicians that can intimately read each other and are happy to play with as much passion and feel for each other as they would be for an audience. How fortunate we are that Duke kept these.

22. jonwoody

Cool thanks been an Art Pepper fan for a while I own a lot of the classics , Meets the Rhythm Section, Plus Eleven, Smack Up, Intensity. But listening to Promise Kept really re-kindled my interest. Luckily both Qobuz and Tidal have tons of recordings currently streaming:

First Recordings Vols 1 & 2.

I'll check that thread out thank you!

dennis the menace likes this.
  23. Dan Steele

Dan Steele Senior Member

You connecting with an album that has words with double meaning, who would have guessed? Hope your candidate wins. The Yusef album made me think of this one:

[​IMG]

timzigs, dZp, bluemooze and 14 others like this.
  24. Mirror Image

Mirror Image Forum Resident

Andy Sheppard Quartet: Surrounded by Sea

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Such a damn fine album. I really hope Sheppard continues to record/perform with this quartet.

dZp, bluemooze, Erik B. and 3 others like this.
  25. Robitjazz

Robitjazz Forum Resident

Wow! All great flutists. Among them, in Italy Sam Most is perhaps that one lesser known.
    To your list, I would like to add Lloyd McNeill. Another good soloist is Hubert Laws especially in jazz fusion contexts.
    From the Eighties, It comes to my mind James Newton.

frightwigwam likes this.