Listenin' to Jazz and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Sep 1, 2016.

1. Briskit

Briskit “I don’t know karate, but I know ka-razy!”

jonwoody, Starwanderer and bluemooze like this.
  2. Briskit

Briskit “I don’t know karate, but I know ka-razy!”

Latest Blue Note 80 arrival: Kenny Dorham - "Una Mas"
    Hancock, Williams, Warren & Henderson all under 25 - a couple making their debuts for BN.
    The seeds of jazz's future can be heard begining to shoot.

[​IMG]

3. bluejimbop

bluejimbop Thumb Toe Heel Toe

You don’t need my help. You’re doing just fine on your own.

xybert likes this.
  4. Berthold

Berthold "When you swing....swing some more!" -- Th. Monk

Art Pepper & Marty Paich Quartet

[​IMG]

vanhooserd, timzigs, jonwoody and 6 others like this.
  5. markp

markp I am always thinking about Jazz.

I love streaming to listen to new albums, and try other artists. Jazz is my main thing, and I read reviews of new releases. With streaming, I can try out an album that received a good review, and see if my taste is similar to the reviewer. I've saved a lot of money on not buying a cd with a great review, that I would not like.

On the other hand, I've purchased a lot of CD's I may not have, simply because I discovered the cd or artist while streaming music. Overall, the quality of my purchases has gone way up, thanks to streaming.

frightwigwam, Yesternow and jay.dee like this.
  6. Mugrug12

Mugrug12 The Jungle Is a Skyscraper

What kind of bin do you use here?

7. Berthold

Flip Phillips: The Verve & Clef Sessions #3

[​IMG]

dennis the menace and bluemooze like this.
  8. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

9. Berthold

Baden Powell: Tristeza On Guitar

[​IMG]

10. Berthold

Ray Brown & Laurindo Almeida: Moonlight Serenade

[​IMG]

dennis the menace and bluemooze like this.
  11. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

I don't find the streaming to be a problem at all. It's wonderful.

But a new job I took at the beginning of last year and some complications in my family life mean for the last two years or so I haven't had the kind of time I once had to just sit down and listen to music.

I'm generally the type of listener who always craves new stuff to hear, but I was hearing less and less of the music I was curious about, because it meant buying more stuff, which was costly, and stuff was really piling up -- not only did I have no space to keep more and more of it, but often there'd be an album I'm curious about, I would buy it, and then listen to it a couple of times, like it, not love it, and basically not listen to it again for years and years if at all. I really don't need to own a physical copy of that.

So streaming has been nothing but a boon to me: I hear more different music, I spend less money, I don't have to find a place to store more stuff, I don't wind up owning things I don't have much use for. All good (at least now that there's 16/44.1 FLAC streaming).

I've actually reached the point where I'm annoyed when I have to buy something in hard copy. And labels that aren't streaming at all, can almost become invisible to me. Like I don't think I've ever heard a Rogue Art title. I'm curious about some of them, but not sure if they'd be albums I'd care to play a lot. So I just skip 'em. Also, I've often found that when I've bought an album which is also streaming, the CD sometimes arrives and winds up never getting unwrapped.

I'm quite happy not having to spend more money or own more stuff to listen to more new and new-to-me music. Now if I could only get rid of this pesky need to work for a living I'd be fine. (Honestly, I'm not sure how or if I'm ever going to be able to afford to retire, and I'm not sure anyone is going to hire me to keep working as I get older and older, I joke about it but it's a real source of stress. If I could afford it, I would have retired yesterday and I'd be living up in the hills, away from it all, spending my days playing golf, reading and listening to music.)

12. dennis the menace

dennis the menace Forum Veteran

Thad Jones & Mel Lewis - Consummation (Blue Note 7243 5 38226 2 0)

[​IMG]

13. Berthold

Kenny Clarke & Francy Boland: The Golden 8 #1

[​IMG]

14. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

Yes it sounds like you use streaming the same way I do.

15. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

All good points and in fact it may be that a solution to my problem lies in having a better system for filing and sorting online music.

I think i will always love the physical record experience for the usual reasons ( thats a whole other topic) but having a portion of my collection accessible through a well curated and easy to find selection of streamable (and inexpensive ) albums could be beneficial

I am a bit of a luddite and the interface of organizing the streamable library is challenging so this sounds like a retirement project perhaps

16. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

What a great LP. One of the first that clued me in to the majesty of the Clarke Boland outfits.

Berthold likes this.
  17. G L Tirebiter

G L Tirebiter Forum Resident

Culling the collection is certainly a project worth undertaking long before you can't. Especially if you have a lot of stuff in storage. The last thing I want to do is leave a "treasure trove" of stuff for my heirs to liquidate or just toss out. I am not fooling myself that they will value most of my things like I do. YMMV.

And I seem to be encountering many older folks who definitely qualify as hoarders. I've been helping my aunt empty a couple garages and tool rooms in her basement, rooms that my late uncle filled with things late in his life. Things like sewing machines and sweepers , lawn mowers and snow blowers, golf clubs and ten speeds and who know what else. I can't get to the rear of several of the rooms yet. Regrettably he did not collect tubes radios or vinyl.

Currently spinning side one of Eric Dolphy's "Jitterbug Waltz" on Douglass Records. It's a chilly, rainy Monday here east of Pittsburgh, listening inside, with a little incense burning. Have a good day, folks.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2019
  18. Lonson

Yes, it's sad to leave a burden for others. I had to liquidate my parents' holdings and was lucky to have two brothers on hand to help. My wife would like to get some value out of my collections I'm sure and the more I can do to limit the size and the manner of what she may face the better. I don't view myself as a hoarder, but some might, which is okay. It may be too early to start this project, I can hope, but one never knows!

Right now
    Yesterday it was "Midnight in Paris" (twice).

One Ellington leads to another, which often happens.

A single disc from that '56 to '62 Columbia period snags me into a long series of disc after disc of Ellington at times. Not a bad thing to happen.

Right now
    Disc 2 from the "Ella & Duke at the Cote D'Azur," Verve cd.

[​IMG]

19. Berthold

Kenny Clarke & Francy Boland: Historically Speaking - The Campi Years 1 #2

[​IMG]

20. dennis the menace

dennis the menace Forum Veteran

Jack DeJohnette - Special Edition (ECM ECM-1152)

It`s been too long since I last listened to this great album recorded in March 1979. With Peter Warren on bass and Arthur Blythe & David Murray on sax.

[​IMG]

Jackie P, lschwart, xybert and 5 others like this.
  21. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

Another go with

[​IMG]

Jimmy Smith ‎– Bashin' - The Unpredictable Jimmy Smith
    Label:
    DCC Jazz ‎– GZS-1072
    Format:
    CD, Album, Remastered, 24 Karat Gold
    US
    Released:
    Genre:
    Jazz
    Style:
    Bop

22. Lonson

Now on to
    Duke Ellington & His Orchestra "Jazz at the Plaza" Sony Japan cd.

[​IMG]

23. Fender Relic

Fender Relic Forum Resident

Got the Tone Poet version of this spinning right now and sounds so good.

[​IMG]

Yesterday, for a change of pace from Jazz,I saw this one in a box of odds and ends and it fit the morning perfectly.

[​IMG]

Erik B., timzigs, SJR and 10 others like this.
  24. Berthold

Max Bennett: Plays #1

[​IMG]

25. Beatnik_Daddyo'73

Beatnik_Daddyo'73 Music Addiction Personified

....playin’ that “Monday Miles” with @SJR

Miles Davis ‎– Water Babies

[​IMG]

Recorded at Columbia 30th Street Studio, NYC on June 7 (#1), June 13 (#2), and June 23, 1967 (#3), and at Columbia Studio B, NYC on November 11 (#4 & #5), and November 12 (#6), 1968.

Erik B., vanhooserd, SJR and 12 others like this.