Listenin' to Jazz and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Sep 1, 2016.

1. johnnyb1964

johnnyb1964 Treats please!

[​IMG]
    Little bit of Duke this morning. I like this RCA Vintage series. They are pretty easy to find and usually pretty cheap. One of my favorites, Ben Webster, on tenor.

2. Dan Steele

Dan Steele Senior Member

I really like it and highly recommend if you enjoy more of the hard driving funky sound. One of those albums that puts a big smile on your face. Five of the 6 songs are outstanding, with only the last one letting its foot off the gas. I enjoy Fred Jackson’s tone and Grant Green is on here too. Listen to the title track (#4) and Something Strange (#5) on YouTube, which I think is the heart of the album. If you can resist tapping your foot to those two songs then don’t buy it!

Last edited: Oct 13, 2019
    Bobby Buckshot and Stu02 like this.
  3. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

Vol. 11 is still the most recent release.

Berthold likes this.
  4. Lonson

Every time I hear this one I am just floored by Fred Jackson's playing. He makes the album for me.

5. Dan Steele

Dan Steele Senior Member

Agreed! I was trying hard not to oversell it, but one of the many things I liked is he doesn’t sit out when he’s not soloing, he plays under Baby Face when he’s on the organ and it provides nice counterpoint

Bobby Buckshot and Lonson like this.
  6. Dan Steele

Dan Steele Senior Member

I’m recollecting this may have been one of the first Connoisseur Edition CDs that I bought in the late 90s. If only I knew then what I know now! Hubbard was skating, he only has one song of his own on here, 2 from Hank and interesting to me 2 from Kenny Dorham, the opener Asiatic Rags and Karioke. But Hubbard’s Blues for Brenda is a nice closer.

[​IMG]

7. Mirror Image

Mirror Image Forum Resident

Eivind Aarset's Électronique Noire: Light Extracts

[​IMG]

8. Dan Steele

Dan Steele Senior Member

A new purchase - John Gordon Step by Step, a Pure Pleasure reissue of a Strata East album. In that Pure Pleasure series I’ve bought this one, Billy Harper’s Capra Black and Charles Tolliver and his All Stars, and would be interested in other recommendations. The Harold Vick Don’t Hold Back is probably next on my list. Pretty bland cover but wonderful album. Kind of like Music Inc with Gordon’s trombone added, since Tolliver and Cowell both play on this also.

[​IMG]

9. patrickd

patrickd Forum Resident

I'm in....let's keep the music and artists alive!

10. Re: Art Blakey CD at Cafe Bohemia

Yes tracks 1 to 16 is the content of my 3 Blue Note vinyls
    tracks 17 to 19 are the first 3 tracks from my Blue Note BLP-1518 (reissue)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. I should get this one at a reasonable price, that is I mean he Kenny Dorham.

caio vaz likes this.
  12. Nice but where is the copyright stamp from @Tribute ??? Any royalities planned?
    ;-}}

Yesternow likes this.
  13. Nearly a "4 Brothers" Sax-Section + "Mr. Rhythm Freddie Green"

World Pacific Records WP-1237 " The Gerrry Mulligan Songbook Vol I" - recorded December 4 & 5, 1957 - reissued by Toshiba-EMI 1991

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. xybert

xybert Forum Resident

Just been listening to heaps of Art Blakey the last couple of days. Have been thoroughly enjoying it.

rxcory, Berthold, Dan Steele and 4 others like this.
  15. Mirror Image

Mirror Image Forum Resident

Any particular albums you’ve taken a shine to amongst those Blakey albums? For me, The Big Beat and Free For All have been two longstanding favorites.

Dan Steele and xybert like this.
  16. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

This series, checked out of the public library, was my introduction to a lot of great music back in the 70s.

JazzcornerND and chervokas like this.
  17. caio vaz

caio vaz Senior Member

Great one, crazy day, i love this song!

JazzcornerND likes this.
  18. xybert

xybert Forum Resident

Honestly, I've really been digging Cu-Bop! It's a lesser celebrated Blakey album (in my experience) but i'm really digging it. I'm not a Johnny Griffin expert so I don't know if this is a good representation of him but you know when you're listening to an album and you're not 100% on who the personnel are and you HAVE to look it up because it's like "who is this guy?" Yeah that was the case for me here.

Aside from Cu-Bop!, I've been revisiting Moanin' which has never been a favourite of mine but has grown a lot on me in recent years. Just been listening to it over and over. And A Night in Tunisia (Blue Note), and Drum Suite which is an old favourite of mine, and The Jazz Messengers (the 1956 Columbia album).

I need to get a copy of The Big Beat... I love the Blakey albums that I have with Shorter (yes, Free For All is a monster album). Blakey for me is one of those guys where if I had money to burn i'd want it all, i'm sure there's no bad Blakey albums, but often I find myself hovering over buying one of his albums and just feeling like I don't really need it. Or when I do, the album I want is out of print or at risk of being a CDR. I guess for me he's one of those artists that I've never really caught the 'gotta have it all' bug for.

19. dennis the menace

dennis the menace Forum Veteran

Art Blakey - Indestructible (Blue Note CDP-7 46429 2)

Great band (Shorter, Morgan, Workman, Fuller & Walton), great album !!!

[​IMG]

20. Dan Steele

Dan Steele Senior Member

Blue Note 80 More 60 Works reissue. For those that really like congas, but there are some reeds and guitar also. Tic Tac Toe has made it on a few Blue Note comps iirc. I’m On my Way and Money Man are also strong.

[​IMG]

21. Dan Steele

Dan Steele Senior Member

Great album, and the 412th time a cigarette was on a Blue Note album cover!

22. alamo54us

alamo54us Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    Really looking forward to this new one from Yazz Ahmed. Order placed but, unfortunately, already on backorder. Thought her last album was great.

23. SOONERFAN

SOONERFAN Forum Resident

Yes, but what a cool looking cover!

dennis the menace and Dan Steele like this.
  24. Lonson

Looking forward to this one too!

alamo54us likes this.
  25. Dan Steele

Dan Steele Senior Member

My last new purchase of the weekend, another Elvin Jones reissue by Wounded Bird. Elvin’s usual format, no piano, some extra percussion and several reed players. Pat Labarbera is the main reed player but Frank Foster, Steve Grossman and Dave Liebman make appearances, the usual suspects. I prefer New Agenda from the same series after one listen but this is pretty solid, esp the first two tracks Salty Iron and Sweet Mama.

[​IMG]