Listenin' to Jazz and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Sep 1, 2016.

1. caio vaz

caio vaz Senior Member

2. StarThrower62

StarThrower62 Forum Resident

[​IMG]

The late great Mark Murphy 1932-2015

Couldn't even find an image but I'm listening to the Songbook 2 CD set on 32jazz

3. tribby2001

tribby2001 Forum Resident

Chick Corea ‎Rendezvous In New York
    [​IMG] Stretch Records ‎– UCGU-7008/9

4. Robitjazz

Robitjazz Forum Resident

5. Still on the West Coast trip.
    Here's an interesting compilation with great liner notes by Richard Bock about the history of the various Mulligan groups
    recoeded in 1952 to 1957

Pacific Jazz PJ-8 (New Series). This series repeats many recordings from 12.. Cat# original issues.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Ans another remarkable compilation of the Gerry Mulligan / Chet Baker collaboration inm gropups between 1952 to 1953
    Pacific Jazz PJ-76 Stereo "Timeless" featuring among different rhythm sections also
    Bob Brookmey (v-tb) / Phil Urso (ts) beside Gerry & Chet in their own groups

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. funcrusha

funcrusha Forum Resident

What an album! Love the track Joyous. Shabaka's sax on the intro is so rich and imbued with soul and then Mandla Mlangeni's trumpet comes in before the whole ensemble joins in, or rather erupts.

Fun fact: aside from Shabaka, the band is South African born or based.

8. dennis the menace

dennis the menace Forum Veteran

Charlie Parker - Charlie Parker With Strings: The Master Takes (Verve 314 983 584 2)

[​IMG]

9. The Jazz Beat

10. Yesternow

Yesternow Forum pResident

"experiment in terror", the name was familiar.
    Went to allmusic (I like to read their reviews) and this was what they said about the final 3 tracks on that album:

"These tracks are of lesser interest (particularly Henry Mancini's "Experiment in Terror") but still include some fine tenor playing."

Funny that they have such a different opinion from yours :). Well, it happened to me several times. I'll go with anyones opinion here over "professional reviewers" opinions.

Meanwhile I've remembered why the track name was familiar.
    Fantomas have a great version of it. I usually prefer instrumental versions, but Mike Patton's vocals are always a winner.
    @xybert and @Beatnik_Daddyo'73 might like this one too.

Apologies for the rock video. I'll come back with some classic good old jazz before the end of day.

mcwlod, bluemooze, Ray Cole and 3 others like this.
  11. Beatnik_Daddyo'73

Beatnik_Daddyo'73 Music Addiction Personified

...I’m a fan :righton: I remember anxiously awaiting the first album to come out thinking it might sound like Mr. Bungle (hey! Is that the first Mr. Bungle reference in here?:D). It didn’t necessarily, but I liked it nonetheless.

Yesternow likes this.
  12. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

an original EP

[​IMG]

13. dennis the menace

Nice cover. Great picture of Bird !

14. eeglug

eeglug Senior Member

I need to check this tune out. 'Experiment In Terror' is an early Blake Edwards film-noir with a soundtrack by Henry Mancini.

saskimo likes this.
  15. xybert

xybert Forum Resident

I know I've mentioned it before, but i'm at my desk at work feeling pretty bleh and feel like procrastinating... and reminiscing about music while sipping coffee feels much better than working right now... so yeah, Fantomas… in hindsight it seems crazy that it was a thing... it was a super exciting time for me, with Mr Bungle's California having come out, the first two Fantomas Albums, Dillinger Escape Plan's Irony EP... I wouldn't say that I took it for granted, not by a long shot, but it's crazy looking back on it... in parallel you also had the rise of Def Jux which was super exciting at the time... and then subjectively it all kind of fizzled by the mid 2000s and I started getting in to jazz...

The main point I want to make is that looking back on Fantomas, it was an extraordinary band. I know some would roll their eyes and I honestly I don't blame them! I probably would too reading a similar post on another day... but lately I just feel super conscious of how special certain musical artists/happenings are... like that stuff doesn't just magically happen, we are soooo lucky that these artists manage to get it together and make this stuff happen. 1 album... 2 albums, 3 albums whatever... at some point they're gone because yup, it's not easy on multiple levels! And that goes for many of the producers and labels putting out music right now.

mcwlod and Yesternow like this.
  16. GregM

GregM The expanding man

A couple notable tunes came on my iTunes while walking to work. One from here:
    [​IMG]

...and this little number.
    [​IMG]

mcwlod, rxcory, Starwanderer and 10 others like this.
  17. johnnyb1964

johnnyb1964 Treats please!

[​IMG]

A classic for lunch. Note to self: pick up more Jay Jay Johnson

18. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

Greg Osby, "Inner Circle" Blue Note cd. This one continues to grow on me.

[​IMG]

frightwigwam, bluemooze and xybert like this.
  19. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

If there was a "love" button, I'd click that.

20. dennis the menace

Herbie Hancock - Sextant (Vocalion CDSML-8556)

Just listened to this recently released SACD by Vocalion. Not a huge fan of Hancock`s Columbia recordings by I enjoy Sextant and Head Hunters very much.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 14, 2019
    mcwlod, Starwanderer, Xelfo and 9 others like this.
  21. Same here. Both in the collection but no favorites. Still in the West Coast mood.

dennis the menace likes this.
  22. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

Christian Lillinger
    Tobias Delius

Dicht

As great a drum/reeds session as I’ve heard. I usually find the lack of a third instrument in hindrance but here it’s just so great I miss nothing. Delius is a long standing member of the Instant Composer’s Pool and his tenor is an expressive old school sound with all the angles of his modern background. Plus his clarinet is a fine change of pace and his tone is close to perfect.

I’m obsessed with Lillinger these days - he has to be heard to be believed. I’ve never heard a drummer like him before. Maybe Lucas Niggli but that’s a stretch. Lillinger is more in the groove than many so-called outcats - and his technique is off the charts. Some similarity to Tyshawn or Rainey but that’s also a stretch.

On Relative Pitch Records

23. bresna

bresna Senior Member

I hope he makes it but his goal is over 400 LPs. I just don't know if you can expect that kind of purchasing in this day & age. Adding up the orders, he has 43 orders so far and only a couple with "deep pockets". This is one of those times when I wish I had deeper pockets.

Dan Steele likes this.
  24. tribby2001

tribby2001 Forum Resident

McCoy Tyner With Stanley Clarke And Al Foster
    [​IMG]

markp, rxcory, Dan Steele and 6 others like this.
  25. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man