Listenin' to Jazz and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Sep 1, 2016.

1. caio vaz

caio vaz Senior Member

God bless Kenny burrell, and protect him, along with Rollins, Konitz, Donaldson, Herbie, Wayne shorter and Eugene Wright! I belive the last one will come to 100y

2. Robitjazz

Robitjazz Forum Resident

3. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

Yasujiro , What are your thoughts on vol 1 and 2 ..... J Jazz. deep modern jazz from japan 1969 to 1984. Released recently on cd and vinyl

4. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

All I could say is that the selections are ‘interesting’.
    As I have not listened to either the vinyl or the CD, I can’t comment on the mastering. According to the hype, it is ‘loud’.

You can hear the samples on the page.
    VA - J-Jazz : Deep Modern Jazz From Japan 1969-1984 : CD :: Newtone records

Stu02 likes this.
  5. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

Now you have me intrigued. What about the selections do you find interesting. Are they not the obvious choices? Second, is there a different compilation on cd or vinyl that you prefer?

6. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

They are spiritual, Brazilian and doop oriented rather than straight ahead, main stream jazz. I do not know if there is a kind of main stream compilation. I doubt it.

Stu02 likes this.
  7. AxiomAcoustics

AxiomAcoustics "The enemy is listening"

I was flipping through the dusty bins and came across an empty space. Found this unrecorded Nonet date from 1961 that Blue Note never recorded. But should have. Or something like that. Fifteen bucks on hot wax, how could you go wrong? (Also available on CD.)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

charlesp, Soulpope, mcwlod and 7 others like this.
  8. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

The label I like most among Japanese jazz is Audio Lab. They are available on CD, though all the mastering is horrible.
    If you can get the 1985 CDs, you’d better not hesitate to.
    audio lab discogs

bluemooze likes this.
  9. Starwanderer

Starwanderer Senior Member

Thanks for posting. I'm looking forward to tomorrow's Greg Ward's performance in my town :)

[​IMG]

bluemooze and AxiomAcoustics like this.
  10. AxiomAcoustics

Fake news that is being proferred by a cabal for over a decade now. Look at how "downloads" were going to kill the CD and yet paid downloads are suffering the worst of all formats. There are so many (new) CD's being released I cannot keep up, and that's just in the rarefied world of Jazz and its related offspring. New disc transports are being released by HiFi manufacturers. The format will only die if we choose to believe it.

As for the Miles bootleg series? I suggest that Sony take a good hard look at the Grateful Dead's archival model used for the Dave's Picks series. Incredibly easy way to shift 20,000 units every year at a minimal cost or drain on capital. And it soesn't necessarily have to be all Miles if the vault is running dry. Give us 4 releases a year for $99 subscription and I'd take whatever surprise they chose to throw at us.

Johnny Action, mcwlod, markp and 9 others like this.
  11. AxiomAcoustics

Very cool, enjoy! Nice coincidence eh :)

Dan Steele and Starwanderer like this.
  12. Roger Thornhill

Roger Thornhill Senior Member

Love that album.

By coincidence I am literally just on my way out to see Greg Ward and his Rogue parade at the Vortex.

13. Fender Relic

Fender Relic Forum Resident

Put this one on this afternoon and it mellowed me right out. :love:

[​IMG]

14. Mugrug12

Mugrug12 The Jungle Is a Skyscraper

NP

[​IMG]
    Berger vibraharp and piano
    Holland double bass
    Blackwell trap set

15. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

Well, CD sales are off enormously from a high of 1.2 billion units sold in 1999 in the US to 532 million sold last year, so down around 60 percent. Retail support is declining with Best Buy, Target, Barnes and Noble and others reducing CD holdings and/or changing the way they pay for and hold inventory. Equipment manufacturers like Oppo have gotten out of the business of marketing player hardware. Sony got out of the business of manufacturing drives for CD and video disk players. The company also announced the shut down of its CD pressing plant in Terre Haute last year, having closed its NJ pressing plant in 2011. Toshiba-Samsung got out of the business of manufacturing optical drives. And 80 percent of the annual revenue in the US music business is generated by streaming, 7% or less from CD sales, so there's not a huge industry incentive to invest in a small and shrinking sector of the market.

Downloads never really were a big success, although they were briefly the leading format for music sales in the US, their sales never outpace the decline of physical media. Not so with streaming which is much more successful just that recorded music industry revenue is actually growing in the aggregate, and at a healthy clip, year over year. So there is an alternative big revenue generating high demand format out there. What's happening today with streaming isn't exactly comparable to what happened with downloads.

It's possible that CD will chug along the bottom of the market like vinyl did for years and years (or like VHS or cassette or whatever). I think the biggest threat to that is the willingness of the manufacturers of drive and servo assemblies to keep making them. You may get to a point where it's pretty hard to replace your broken drive assembly or by a new CD playing device as a replacement. And I do think the decline of CD seems to have stabilized at a new baseline.

Still, I don't think the decline of CD is anything like "fake news." It's actually happening.

16. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

Miles Davis "Vol. 2" Blue Note Japan 24 bit by RVG LP facsimile cd. Pretty amazing sound on this one.

[​IMG]

Followed by
    Ella Fitzgerald "Sings the Rogers and Hart Songbook" disc 1, Verve 2 cd set
    [​IMG]

Followed by
    Chick Corea "Origin--Live at the Blue Note"
    [​IMG]

17. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

18. Crimson Witch

Crimson Witch Roll across the floor thru the hole & out the door

2019 release of the 6-CD box set :
    'Nucleus & Ian Carr' –"Torrid Zone
    The Vertigo Recordings 1970 - 1975",
    ( Esoteric label , ECLEC 62663
    barcode 5013929476301 )
    [​IMG]

19. ATR

ATR Senior Member

Unrealistic to believe that with the sheer amount of software out there all disc drive manufacture and universal disc playing machines will just disappear like poof. Predicting that outcome in the near future, or even forseeable future, on the basis of currently declining CD sales, even discontinuation of playback equipment by some manufacturers, is unwarranted. What's more reasonable to predict is the ongoing emergence of streaming, with increased quality in many ways. The main problem now is distribution and sales of new CD's, being that the demand for them is so small. I would say it's possible that the playback market will move away from mid-price devices toward both low and high end machines. The exit of Oppo was a real blow. They made a quality product for a reasonable price.

20. Crimson Witch

Crimson Witch Roll across the floor thru the hole & out the door

With an estimated 60 billion CDs in existence and new releases still coming every month, disc players aren't going away, not by a long shot.

21. xybert

xybert Forum Resident

There's just too many CDs out there for there not to be something out there to play them on... it might not be mass market, but i'm confident that you'll always be able to buy something to play them on. Look at videogame collecting... you can't buy brand new physical NES games in Walmart(?) anymore, and analogous to music you can download the games for free, but there's still companies coming out with new hardware to play physical NES games on for collectors... plus obviously you can buy refurbished units... and there's even companies coming out with 'repro-carts' of old, rare NES games (similar to Wounded Bird or International Phonograph in the music realm)… anyway, I know CDs are not going to be mass market anymore, but there will always be a way...

22. Xelfo

Xelfo Forum Resident

CD's are not going anywhere. There are still tons of music never released on CD. That means - unused opportunities of profit.
    And I'm still waiting on "Glass of water" by Leroy Vinnegar.

P.S. Finished 100 entries in my catalogue. Now I'll go and check out some CD's to order. See? I won't let them die.

23. lazydawg58

lazydawg58 Know enough to know how much I don't know

I went into a charity thrift in town today. I picked up 10 albums for $2.50. They will require some cleaning up and some luck but I think VG is possible. Most of the jackets are rough and a couple don't match the vinyl. I'm no jazz expert but it appears I've got Stanley Turrentine Milton's vol. 1 on Blue Note but in a "The Soul of" jacket. The vinyl itself is surprisingly good though I haven't cleaned and spun it yet. I also got a Sonny Stitt and Eddie Davis "The Battle of Birdland" on Roost Records, Richard "Groove" Holmes "Spicy" on Prestige, Billy Eckstine "Everything I have is Yours" on Metro and The Soul Stirrers featuring Sam Cooke on Specialty but in a Hits of the 50s Sam Cooke jacket. What have I got here jazz friends?

24. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

I use an Oppo player with an external DAC. I have run through a couple of players (Sony, Philips) over the past 20 years that developed drive problems. Should I stockpile a few players now for future use?

Erik B., Dan Steele and xybert like this.
  25. xybert

xybert Forum Resident

I've thought about buying something cheap and cheerful as an emergency backup but haven't gotten around to it.