Listenin' to Jazz and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Sep 1, 2016.

1. Fender Relic

Fender Relic Forum Resident

Got up at 5:30 AM and put this CD on... :eek: :shrug: I surely won't go back to sleep now.

[​IMG]

2. Creole Gris-Gris

Creole Gris-Gris Shoe-String Budget Audiophile

Ha! No need for coffee in the morning after pushing play on that one!

Mugrug12, JeffMo, Mook and 1 other person like this.
  3. Berthold

Berthold "When you swing....swing some more!" -- Th. Monk

Lester Young: The Aladdin Records #1

[​IMG]

4. Yesternow

Yesternow Forum pResident

Those Sennheiser have such a powerful look.

I'm on the verge of buying new headphones myself. But this time wireless.
    Anyone uses those around here?!

I've tried the "new" Sony 1000xm3 and was blown away with the noise canceling effect.
    But I also like seenheiser very much and was considering the PXC 550 instead.

Anyone can help with that choice?! @chervokas?!

I usually take my Akg wired On-Ear when I walk my dog every night. But I'm ready to loose the wire.

5. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

Sorry, no help from me, but I'm sure there are plenty of folks here with opinions and experience. Headphones are not my bag, I don't care for the whole experience of listening to music through headphones. I'd rather just not listen to music when headphones are the only option. I basically only use phones if trying to drown out something else: like when I'm mowing the lawn or on an airplane, where I uses in-ear, isolating phones to knock down the loud ambient noise and then put on a little music. I've used typical over the ear Sony and Sennheiser common broadcast and studio models a lot in production work. But my experience with headphones is pretty much limited to those contexts.

jay.dee, Fender Relic and Yesternow like this.
  6. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

I’m unfamiliar with that album Lon.

Is it more music from Four and More/My Funny Valentine gig?

7. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

I’m spinning Monk and Coltrane Live at Carnegie Hall while drinking some Starbucks Thanksgiving blend this cold Sunday morning.

8. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

sleep is overrated - more music listening today instead!! :cool:

9. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

No, that concert was not a Carnegie Hall concert. This one you may know by the cover (this is the cd version I listened to, sounds very good):

[​IMG]

It is the remaining music from the concert on this LP:

[​IMG]

10. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

John Buchanan likes this.
  11. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I always think of Ron Carter as a very nice man

[​IMG]

12. Can wear my Beyer Dynamic Pro DT 990 for hours. No complaint. Pl. look the model up in the Internet.

JeffMo likes this.
  13. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Yes, thanks for clarification. I’m still working my way thru Miles vast catalog!!

14. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

now I want some pumpkin bread to go with my Sunday jazz and java!!! :laugh:

AxiomAcoustics likes this.
  15. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Honestly, it is one of the few albums that changed my life. I am forever grateful this was gifted to me for Christmas one year.

Yesternow likes this.
  16. Can you supply a Cat# or a track list?
    Have the "Dinosaurier" myseld but not "Live Miles" which seems to be a compilation of allready issued material
    Thanks

17. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

I pulled that album off shelf last week for the first time in ages (cd remaster). Is it getting an LP release this month?

Lonson likes this.
  18. Lonson

bluemooze and JeffMo like this.
  19. Lonson

I always have to laugh when CBS or Sony says "First time. . . " -- this of course was part of a double LP release along with Berlin from Columbia in the end of the 'seventies.

JeffMo likes this.
  20. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

One of my listening spaces is a very small space, with a wall of records at my back and several small high quality speakers at arm's length. It does not take much volume to fill that space, so I can listen at what I call "natural volume" without bothering anyone. Natural volume, to me, means that a saxophone on the system sounds like a saxophone in person, not louder, not softer.

I am building a third listening room that will be reasonably large. I actually have a third listening room, but that has been taken over by my daughter.

To me, headphones are for sampling music when I am in a shop. They over emphasize the worst aspects of stereo mixes.

21. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

My favorite blurbs are those that say

"Never heard before"

or about photographs in a booklet:

"Never seen before"

JeffMo and Lonson like this.
  22. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

“The Man” is still alive and well, even if the music biz is ailing! :D

Lonson likes this.
  23. Lonson

I used to not like listening to headphones, and felt they brought out the worst of stereo recordings and were pretty boring with mono.

Then I got to experience better equipment and lo and behold I really liked the sound. And then I realized that if I had a way to listen and enjoy such quality on a headphone set up I could squeeze in ten to twenty percent more listening/watching per week in my domestic life. . . and I've been enjoying headphone listening weekly and enjoying extended listening/watching stretches.

alarickc, Yesternow and JeffMo like this.
  24. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Lon, at the risk of being outed as a non-audiophile, what is OS and how does it impact a DAC?

25. Lonson

Sorry, it's shorthand for "Operating System." My DAC (PS Audio DirectStream DAC) upsamples all input data to DSD and then does DAC conversion via transformers. A programmable integrated field array circuit governs all this, and the designer and manufacturer have offered updates (via SD card) to the operating system of this chip that have improved sound quality, considerably, over the last three years.

JeffMo likes this.