Listenin' to Jazz and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Sep 1, 2016.

1. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

Yes, if it comes to crunch time we'll be moving in with you. :)

dennis the menace and Stu02 like this.
  2. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

Besides his career as a cornet player on so many great jazz records in the '70s and '80s, Olu Dara made one of my favorite albums of all time as a singer/songwriter/guitarist/leader (and playing some cornet) in the late 1990s, In the World: From Natchez to New York. Man, I played that album to death around the turn of the millennium.

3. Crazysteve

Crazysteve Gonzo Party Member

That is Nas’s dad?

lschwart likes this.
  4. caio vaz

caio vaz Senior Member

Shelly manne and his friends- my fair lady, USA 50s
    [​IMG]

5. Crazysteve

To the conversation thread (and those with experience)...i have an organizational question as I organize under order.

Is it ever practical to keep LPs in crates? The only benefit I gain from it is every now and then I feel like I found a new album as I sift through. But it makes deciding awful, even though I dig how they look (but the few keeps growing). I store most LPs on shelves but some genres in crates and it is a pain in the butt unless the crate is half loaded. But that makes no sense to half load a crate unless you own 15 records. I think they have to be lined up on a shelf so you can see what you’re doing. The idea of crates looks cool, until you want to browse. I like to keep Jazz separated from the rest and put Jazz in crates so I can look at the covers. You guys have extensive collections, do you find a way to see the covers in another or better way? Or is it true that shelving them is best?
    You’re Driving Me Crazy by Van qualifies as Jazz and it’s a good listen as it keeps me company through moving vinyl. I appreciate your help and this thread.

6. Crazysteve

Sure there was, he said he was moving with Hollywood to Canada:)

dennis the menace and Yesternow like this.
  7. peter1

peter1 Now things are looking up!

Been listening to a great band. They play informal, improvisational music that’s fun to listen to, dance to, and drink to. This might not be jazz but it sure is fun.

[​IMG]
    the band is The Skillet Lickers, with Gid Tanner and Clayton McMichen on fiddles, Riley Puckett on guitar and Fate Norris on banjo.

Tony A., bluemooze, caio vaz and 5 others like this.
  8. OldJohnRobertson

OldJohnRobertson Martyr for Even Less

I adore that album!

Noonie likes this.
  9. OldJohnRobertson

OldJohnRobertson Martyr for Even Less

A few weeks ago I found a first pressing of Volume 2, which meant I was now on the hunt for a first pressing of Volume 1. I found one on Discogs for a great price last week and today it arrived. I’ve streamed these for years but I’m glad to finally have them both on vinyl.

Combined, these form a collection of everything Miles Davis recorded for Blue Note as a band leader.

They’re also the first and second releases (1501 and 1502) in the Blue Note 1500 series, which were the label’s first 12” LPs.

[​IMG]

Starwanderer, PADYBU, xybert and 16 others like this.
  10. Ray Cole

Ray Cole Senior Member

NP: John Coltrane - The Heavyweight Champions, Disc 1, but I will probably stop soon because this is my first listen to this material and the music deserves much better than the tiny speakers in my iPad (I’m in a hotel room, traveling for work).

JeffMo, Starwanderer, xybert and 11 others like this.
  11. Xabby

Xabby Senior Member

[​IMG]
    1987 - Listening to this at the moment.

12. Berthold

Berthold "When you swing....swing some more!" -- Th. Monk

Fletcher Henderson: Tidal Wave

[​IMG]

Xelfo, chervokas, Mark J and 5 others like this.
  13. Really I dont see a guitar player in Bobby Hacketts band ???

Stu02 likes this.
  14. xybert, bluemooze, caio vaz and 2 others like this.
  15. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

16. Berthold

Earl Hines: The Classic Sessions #7

[​IMG]

17. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

I like this material more and more as time goes by. I like to listen to the Japanese RVG LP facsimile cds--to me they sound fantastic! I also have the most recent Blue Note cd versions from both Japan and the US, and the "Pure Audio" Blu-ray.

OldJohnRobertson likes this.
  18. caio vaz

caio vaz Senior Member

19. G L Tirebiter

G L Tirebiter Forum Resident

After spending most of the day out and about, I plan to spend today inside listening to some music, getting in a workout, straightening up the garage (to make space for my wife's car this winter) and just relaxing. Currently just doing the relaxing part and listening to "Introducing Nat Adderley" a nice release from 1955. It has the classic small combo feel and the musicians are the Adderley brothers, Horace Silver, Paul Chambers and Roy Haynes Not too shabby.

20. Berthold

Johnny Hodges: The Small Group Sessions vol. 2 #1

[​IMG]

21. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

That sounds interesting. I'm going to try and find it on Tidal and start my morning off with it.
    Thanks

22. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

When Max Roach recorded "We Insist! Freedom Now", Downbeat Magazine published a long review which severely criticized the record and stated that there is "no room for politics in jazz"

There is a long history of people who cannot see the connections between all things.

Xelfo, jay.dee, frightwigwam and 5 others like this.
  23. Berthold

Johnny Hodges & Ben Webster: The Vogue Records

[​IMG]

24. caio vaz

caio vaz Senior Member

25. Agreed! Who is on the list?