Listenin' to Jazz and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Sep 1, 2016.

1. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

That is easy to find , its right beside the hypocrisy section
    ( my posts re a certain leaf were deleted due to a certain members ‘verboten’ complaint Thus my quote of his complaint )

Last edited: Dec 7, 2019
    dennis the menace and Six String like this.
  2. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

The excavation dug up the old household waste dump from my home from the 1920's to 1940's (when waste collection services were started). It was mostly bottles and broken plates, along with coal ash. The bottles were mostly complete, but most bottles from that time were manufactured and not collectable. Some have interesting shapes.

But my observation is that 25 years of waste from one house did not take up much volume. Sure, the paper and organic waste is long decomposed. But there is very little "legacy waste". I assume the metal was recycled back then. Despite my efforts, I produce more plastic waste in a year than this house produced glass in 25, probably 50, years.

The bottles looked better coated in coal ash. I should not have washed some of the selected bottles.

To my dismay, I did not find any mint condition copies of Louis Armstrong's Hot Five 78s in the dump. The people in this house either did not care for music at all, or worshipped and preserved it.

[​IMG]

3. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

It will be ages before I can reveal (excavate?) all of the stored records, books, memorabilia and antiques and redistribute them in the new space.

I just have to be the first to find the box of love letters from my first girlfriend. She may want to publish them.

I do not consider any of this to be "stuff", as in my wife's sentence: "You have to get rid of stuff!"

Stuff. That's things like the bottles we just dug up in the back yard and brought into the house. I may keep the blue bottles, as I love the blues.

dennis the menace likes this.
  4. Bradd

Bradd Now’s The Time

You may not like him and I can’t say he’s my bag but he and Kerouac were very influential with musicians of the 60s San Francisco scene. For example, Jack Kerouac had a big impact on members of the Grateful Dead.

jonwoody and Lonson like this.
  5. Noonie

Noonie Exploring music is a gift

Really enjoying this double album. Liner notes were a good read, and I like how Julian "Cannonball" talks to the audience before each song. Picked it up at a local vinyl store (barn!) in near mint...the records themselves look mint, and the cover has very minor signs of wear.

[​IMG]

6. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

And Bob Dylan too

I have posted this before, but my mother was a friend of Kerouac and our family bought a house from him in 1959. I remember him well in that house, as we visited him often. He had a room that he called "the music room" (he had no TV, my father had to climb the roof to install an antenna).

In his music room, Kerouac loved his reel-to-reel tape recorder. My mother recalled that he played Lester Young and Sinatra on reels. I am sure he played Bird and others. We called that room "The Music Room" for many years, although our stereo was in the room Kerouac called "The Book Room". My bedroom was "The Writing Room"

This is what he looked like back then

[​IMG]

7. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

And Dylan.

I met Ginsberg and Burroughs when in college, they gave a presentation and then I was able to interact with them a bit at a "sherry hour." Fascinating people.

8. caio vaz

caio vaz Senior Member

Horace silver quintet- silver blue USA 50s
    [​IMG]image host

bluemooze, dZp, vanhooserd and 9 others like this.
  9. Berthold

Berthold "When you swing....swing some more!" -- Th. Monk

Jimmie Lunceford: The Decca Sessions #7

[​IMG]

10. Berthold

Berthold "When you swing....swing some more!" -- Th. Monk

Jimmie Lunceford: The CBS Records 1939-40 #4

[​IMG]

bluemooze and dennis the menace like this.
  11. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

Thanks so much for this, fabulous range here
    Really up my street

Mugrug12 likes this.
  12. Kirsten

Kirsten I sing my sorrow, and I paint my joy. J. Mitchell

Very well said!
    I think you are right. We can't possibly know what is truly inside someone. And any stories I hear will not prevent me from putting on my favorite Stan or Miles albums.

Tribute likes this.
  13. Yesternow

Yesternow Forum pResident

[​IMG]

My 13 year old kid is driving me nuts. I had to take a walk outside and play some Curtis to calm down.

13 years old... Man, what a difficult age.

Just move on up...

Kirsten, bluemooze, jonwoody and 8 others like this.
  14. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

15. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Has anyone ever found a copy of that cover photo that is uncropped (showing more of Coltrane)? Though it is a great cover design, I would have cropped it slightly differently, at least showing John's full chin and neck.

Erik B. likes this.
  16. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

my vinyl is even worse. Sorry about the crud picture.

[​IMG]

17. Six String

Six String Senior Member

NP Le Jazz Hip Trio - Portraits. (Celeste) Japanese cd of 1968 album

Jean Bernard Eisinger -p
    Roger Luccioni - b
    Daniel Himair - d

bluemooze and dennis the menace like this.
  18. Ray Cole

Ray Cole Senior Member

I got home from my business trip last night to an immense pile of packages. Evidently, all the CDs I'd ordered from various sources arrived while I was out. So today I've been uploading them to my music server and listening to the ones I was most curious about.

Earlier today, I listened to:

Miles Davis - Someday My Prince Will Come [Hallmark 711212]
    [​IMG]

This was actually the first time I'd heard this album. It's lovely.

As I type this, I'm listening to:

Tigran Hamasyan - Solo Piano Competition Winners 2003

It's one of 6 albums collected together in a nice boxed set that I can't really find any information about online and based on that seems to be pretty rare. According to the oversized booklet that comes with the set, when pianists win the Montreux solo piano competition each year, part of what they win is an invitation to record at a studio located in a converted farmhouse on the Balik smoked salmon estate in Switzerland. The winners recorded here, but their recordings weren't released until this boxed set finally made the first six winners recordings available to the general public (although, given how there is virtually no information about this set online and practically no availability to purchase it (I got mine on eBay from Switzerland), maybe this music hasn't really been made all that available to the public after all).

Anyway, the 2003 winner was Tigran Hamasyan, and the music on this disc is way less complex than his current releases, but still has that Armenian-folk-infused, minor mode beauty that I associate with his music. Really beautiful stuff and I'm extremely glad to have obtained a copy of this set.

The full contents of this boxed set include one CD each by the competition winners from 2000 (Daniel Szabo), 2002 (Marius Vernescue), 2003 (Tigran Hamasyan), 2004 (Robi Botos), 2005 (Harold Lopez Nussa), and 2006 (Dan Tepfer). Tepfer and Hamasyan are the only pianists in this set that I'd heard some music from before, so most of the discs will be my first introduction to the respective pianist. The booklet suggests that future boxed sets are planned, but again, I have no way to know if they ever got released or how to get them if they are released in the future.

If anyone here knows more about this series or knows of a source for obtaining them, please let us all know.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2019
    Kirsten, bluemooze, dZp and 14 others like this.
  19. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

The worst type of photo cropping was the "floating head" style that was very common in the 1940's and 1950's. It seems that most designers have little originality and do whatever they think is the trend.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. Lonson

Sounds like a fascinating set, and a great score.

Ray Cole likes this.
  21. Lonson

22. Six String

Six String Senior Member

NP Bobby Hutcherson - Cirrus

23. alamo54us

alamo54us Forum Resident

24. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

The syrup ads made me think about maple syrup and how some of my friends from the tropics couldn't stand the stuff.

Most New Englanders would give up all sex before they would give up maple syrup. No need to waste a lot of time. You can just drink it from the bottle.

And fake maple syrup is far worse than fake stereo

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

jonwoody, Byrdsmaniac and Athalwolf like this.
  25. Ray Cole

Ray Cole Senior Member

Yeah. And the sound quality--at least on the Hamasyan disc--is pretty good, too. I would definitely be interested in picking up another 6 winners box, if one exists. Sort of frustrating that there is so little info out there for such a nice boxed set/series.