Listenin' to Jazz and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Sep 1, 2016.

1. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Here is another by Andrea Motis. She is great at everything and has a great voice

[​IMG]

dennis the menace and Berthold like this.
  2. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

And another

[​IMG]

Berthold likes this.
  3. Yesternow

Yesternow Forum pResident

Feel like playing Blue Moses, a CTI that doesn't sound like CTI.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A good Saturday to you all!

4. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

5. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

This recording is not dated correctly. It is circa 1946, before Robeson was blacklisted

6. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

The astounding singer who made only one record

7. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

I’ve never come across this one. What version do you have and how do you like this. Thanks B

Dan Steele likes this.
  8. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

Thanks, I'll look into it. I have heard a bit of her work and wasn't particularly compelled to corral her recordings, but this one might be better. The last album you recommended I am still waiting to arrive . . . from Europe. It should arrive soon.

9. caio vaz

caio vaz Senior Member

Brew Moore quintet- Br 80s
    [​IMG]

Oliver, garrincha and Lonson like this.
  10. Berthold

Berthold "When you swing....swing some more!" -- Th. Monk

Hey, as I do not know diffent versions of this one, I can´t answer this part of the Question. But I do like it very much - for me the cobination of Byrd with Adams is realy good, I like all their reords - and also the records which Byrd had done with Gryce earlier.

Stu02 likes this.
  11. Berthold

There are a lot of records which can be found in YouTube: look for Joan Chamorro - they are all that good!

12. Berthold

Keith Jarrett Trio: Standards I/II In Tokyo 1985/86

[​IMG]

Robitjazz, dZp, Starwanderer and 6 others like this.
  13. Fender Relic

Fender Relic Forum Resident

Played first LP... Conversations... of this 3 LP set this morning and it's some of the most moving music that I have.

[​IMG]

14. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

[​IMG]
    10-inch LP included in the Mosaic Kenton Presents Jazz set. The library provides access via Hoopla streaming for one week & my time expires this morning. Recorded 5/4/54, 5/12/54 & 8/2/54, Capitol Melrose Studio, Hollywood. The Bill Holman Octet with Don Fagerquist or Nick Travis (tp), Stu Williamson (valve tb & tp), Bob Enevoldsen (valve tb), Herb Geller (as), Bob Gordon (baritone sax), Curtis Counce or Max Bennett (b) and Stan Levey (d). The eight tracks from the LP are followed by two more tracks from the sessions that were issued as a 45 rpm single plus eight unissued tracks recorded 6/3 & 7/13, 1955. Four are a quartet with Carl Perkins (p), Leroy Vinnegar (b) & Larry Bunker (d). The last four are a septet with Conte Candoli (tp), Bob Enevoldsen (valve tb), Dave Madden (baritone sax), Paul Moer (p), Ralph Peña (b) & Shelly Manne (d). Holman is best known as an arranger, but these sides also feature his fine tenor playing.

15. Six String

Six String Senior Member

NP Charlie Haden - Nocturne (Verve)
    One of Haden's best in his later years? I think so.

16. Crazysteve

Crazysteve Gonzo Party Member

I’m bummed I waited on grabbing that Eric Dolphy Musical Prophet set. It’s on my radar and I’m sure it’s fantastic. I’m on my second spin of this new arrival for me and the vinyl just smokes through this funky session. Streaming it was fun but this Horace Parlan record is gonna be busy.
    [​IMG]

dZp, Starwanderer, alarickc and 12 others like this.
  17. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

Ok thanks, I really like the jazz lab sessions too w Gryce

Berthold likes this.
  18. Six String

Six String Senior Member

NP Charles Lloyd and Billy Higgins - Which Way Is East. (ECM)
    Not my favorite CL album but very good.

19. Arrived today = part 1 (single CD).
    Alternate editions: Special edition = 2-CD-set [different Cat #!] and/or 3 LP vinyl box

Gearbox GB 1556CD Buddy Rich "Just in Time" / The Final Recording - recorded 1986

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. tribby2001

tribby2001 Forum Resident

21. Crazysteve

Crazysteve Gonzo Party Member

I only have one Oregon LP to this point, yet keep coming back to this one every few weeks. The sounds and the atmosphere are stunning to me. I need some more Oregon. I’m a big Ralph Townes fan as well, but he certainly doesn’t dominate. It’s just a great group that I need to explore more. Catching up is my path through Jazz, and it makes the release dates irrelevant. Just so much great music to continually explore.
    [​IMG]

DaveinMA, Robitjazz, Noonie and 6 others like this.
  22. tribby2001

tribby2001 Forum Resident

Takehiro HondaReaching For Heaven
    [​IMG]

Ron Carter bass
    Tony Williams drums
    Takehiro Honda piano

23. Beatnik_Daddyo'73

Beatnik_Daddyo'73 Music Addiction Personified

...first play of this one. Features one of my favorite funky drummers, Malcolm Catto from The Heliocentrics and other projects. Really digin' this.

Greg Foat Group - The Dreaming Jewels [2019]

[​IMG]
    Recording at Malcolm Catto’s analogue studio has been an ambition of Greg’s for a long time, not only for the studio itself but for Malcolm’s skill using this vintage equipment, very few people can achieve such an incredibly big sound.
    Earlier this year we grabbed the chance to get the full Greg Foat group joined by Binker Golding (Binker and Moses) on Tenor Saxophone, Malcolm Catto on drums and Hugh Harris (The Kooks) on Guitar on the session.
    Moving to a more rhythmic space, you could call it Jazz funk or Fusion, but labels suck so just listen and appreciate the pure sense of space Malcom achieves with this recording. Instruments float in space, aided by the Vintage EMI desk and a host of valve equipment which has taken Malcolm a lifetime to collect. In amongst the more rhythmic pieces we also have some classic Foat style compositions; ‘Lake Kussharo’ and ‘The Dreaming Jewels’ as emotive and personal as ever, a feeling that can only be expressed and articulated in music. These past few years will no doubt be looked back on with great favour in musical history, with prolific and high quality output in all his various projects this LP is his crowning achievement of 2019. A strong year indeed!

released November 29, 2019

2019, Athens Of The North

24. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

One of the best releases in years for Dolphy fanatics.

I'm about to start Duke Ellington and John Coltrane, original Impulse CD. I'm going to have to see if I like this more than the AP SACD.

[​IMG]

25. Dan Steele

Dan Steele Senior Member

I see a lot of good CTI albums on here today so I’ll play the trump card...

[​IMG]

dZp, alarickc, Robitjazz and 15 others like this.